British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

amideislas Jun 25th 2016 6:17 pm

re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 11984427)
The Eurozone had instability and uncertainty before Brexit, as well as high unemployment they do not seem capable of solving. The most powerful card in the pack is trade from which comes employment and a thriving economy, and the UK is sitting pretty on this one.

The eurozone is currently growing faster than the UK or the US, and the UK's debt to GDP is similar to the eurozone, and now is slated to surpass it before year's end. There are certainly things to fix, but it's hardly a disaster.

And I need not mention Germany, the heart of the eurozone. The UK can get only dream of the same prosperity.

On top of that, the UK does not, will not, and had no obligation to adopt the Euro under any circumstances, so the "failing" eurozone argument is pretty weak.

mmmmbuti Jun 25th 2016 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 11984404)
Some on here thinks the EU holds all the cards. They don’t. The cards are equally divided. Trade to and from the EU to and from the UK will decide the outcome and the last thing the Eurozone wants is a drop in trade and more unemployment. That will really spark an outburst of anti-EU feeling throughout Europe. National politicians, eventually, have to listen to the people. Britain has shown the way.

Who do you think you are? You don't know anything about the other member states. You keep living in your bubble of lies and nationalistic fantasies. Soon you will see it collapse under the weight of hard reality.

Bipat Jun 25th 2016 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by mmmmbuti (Post 11984435)
Who do you think you are? You don't know anything about the other member states. You keep living in your bubble of lies and nationalistic fantasies. Soon you will see it collapse under the weight of hard reality.

I keep saying it but no one answers! Why is it nationalistic to realise there IS a world outside of Europe with human people living in it!!

EMR Jun 25th 2016 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 11984433)
The eurozone is currently growing faster than the UK or the US, and the UK's debt to GDP is similar to the eurozone, and now is slated to surpass it before year's end. There are certainly things to fix, but it's hardly a disaster.

And I need not mention Germany, the heart of the eurozone. The UK can get only dream of the same prosperity.

On top of that, the UK does not, will not, and had no obligation to adopt the Euro under any circumstances, so the "failing" eurozone argument is pretty weak.

I agree with you the Eurozone is not a nation state with one economic policy, one economic driver.
To call it such is just as pointless as those who claim that the EU is a dictatorial state. Pure hogwash.
The UK can only dream of the growth and prosperity that Germany has experienced and Germany is in both the EU and the Eutozone.

Dick Dasterdly Jun 25th 2016 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 11984444)
I keep saying it but no one answers! Why is it nationalistic to realise there IS a world outside of Europe with human people living in it!!

:goodpost:

Exactly. :nod:

la mancha Jun 25th 2016 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 11984428)
Yes, you've said that, but I suspect like my sister-in-law, most brexiters driving a new BMW (a large percentage of those voting leave) probably weren't thinking in those terms.

Yet they all seem to feel they're impoverished because of the EU. Surprise! Now you're gonna be "more so". You may well have to keep the BMW for 7-10 years, rather than trade it off in 3, which of course, was previously unthinkable, since we're already impoverished. Or so we were told. Can it really get much worse?

You still do not understand what I am talking about, do you? Or should I say, you do not understand why ordinary people voted the way they did in the referendum. It is about HOPE for the future.

la mancha Jun 25th 2016 6:52 pm

You are off again. Who mentioned the Euro? The ‘failing’ Eurozone was never my argument. Why do you do this?

These figures mean nothing to those people of the Eurozone living in poverty. You still haven’t learnt the lesson of the referendum, have you?

EMR Jun 25th 2016 6:56 pm

The Eurozone is not a nation state with one economic policy, one economic driver.
To call it such is just as pointless as those who claim that the EU is a dictatorial state. Pure hogwash.
The UK can only dream of the growth and prosperity that Germany has experienced and Germany is in both the EU and the Eutozone.

EMR Jun 25th 2016 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 11984476)
You still do not understand what I am talking about, do you? Or should I say, you do not understand why ordinary people voted the way they did in the referendum. It is about HOPE for the future.

Why would they expect leaving the EU to make a difference.
Are jobs suddenly going to appear in the North East and SWales.
Will shipyards and steel works re open.
Was it hope or ignorance that led some to believe that ending migration, already dismissed by brexit will impove their lives.

mmmmbuti Jun 25th 2016 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 11984444)

And what exactly do you have to offer to the world outside? Your condescending benevolence and an autograph of the Queen? You have nothing, your biggest industry is the financial sector, which is going to sink after the EU is done rewriting its regulations in the legitimate interest of its remaining members. Remember, WTO only regulates trade of goods, not services.

la mancha Jun 25th 2016 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 11984487)
Why would they expect leaving the EU to make a difference.
Are jobs suddenly going to appear in the North East and SWales.
Will shipyards and steel works re open.
Was it hope or ignorance that led some to believe that ending migration, already dismissed by brexit will impove their lives.

Why do you imply ordinary people who voted to leave the EU are ignorant?
You, also, have learnt nothing from the referendum result.

iano Jun 25th 2016 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 11984503)
You, also, have learnt nothing from the referendum result.

Oh, we have, we get it, it's all been about HOPE for the future.

Problem is, all this Brexit hope is based on, erm, what exactly ?

What's the plan ?

Vexcore Jun 25th 2016 7:29 pm

There is a petition to revote on the EU ref here, and it's already got almost 2 million signatures. Over 100K means it must be addressed in Parliament.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/131215

Honestly, I don't agree with this. Even though I voted Leave, a democratic outcome was reached. That's what we have chosen.

Also.. There's another petition calling the mayor of London to declare it as a city-state nation, lol.

Yeah, the petitions are a bit ridiculous. If remain had won which I thought it would, I'd have taken it on the chin and accepted it and so would everybody else. We all voted as a whole and everybody's vote is equal. They can't even say turnout was bad because it was pretty damn high. And it's not all old people who voted leave. It was all over the place - even the core Asian communities we have here voted leave.

so.. this is to the people who 'VOTED REMAIN'

• YOU ARE TRAITORS
  • YOU LOST
  • TAKE IT ON THE CHIN
  • SUCK IT UP
  • AND ACCEPT THE FINAL DECISION
  • GROW UP ALL OF YOU

Wol Jun 25th 2016 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 11984420)
New referendum petition has now reached 2 million votes, site so busy it crashed.

Yes, let's keep voting until we get it right.

Er, they have form....

Vexcore Jun 25th 2016 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by Wol (Post 11984523)
Yes, let's keep voting until we get it right.

Er, they have form....

Indeed,

@ EMR

Times have changed the people decided now EMR man up grow a pair and accept the result

Stop acting desperate.