British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

SultanOfSwing Dec 29th 2017 4:41 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Annetje (Post 12407045)
I'm sure you will stay high and dry !

Good song.

Annetje Dec 29th 2017 4:43 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12407048)
Good song.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Love them

EMR Dec 29th 2017 8:49 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 
12 months further into the brexit process.

12months ago 1pound would buy you E1.19 today E1.13 a fall of 5% , a year that saw a rise in UK interest rates which should in theory boost the pound against the Euro where rates have stayed down.
A year we keep being told that positive progress on discussions with the EU is being made.
The downside , our imports from the EU are costing us all more.
The upside our exports to the growing Eurozone economies are growing at a faster rate than to non EU nations.
UK companies able to take full advantage of the tariff free access they have to the rest of the EU.
Yet brexit could mean the end of this special arrangement.
Where will we be in 12 months time ?
Dependent on brexit negotiations forcasts range from E1.04 to E1.24.
We will have to wait and see.

Novocastrian Dec 29th 2017 9:19 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12407136)
12 months further into the brexit process.

12months ago 1pound would buy you E1.19 today E1.13 a fall of 5% , a year that saw a rise in UK interest rates which should in theory boost the pound against the Euro where rates have stayed down.
A year we keep being told that positive progress on discussions with the EU is being made.
The downside , our imports from the EU are costing us all more.
The upside our exports to the growing Eurozone economies are growing at a faster rate than to non EU nations.
UK companies able to take full advantage of the tariff free access they have to the rest of the EU.
Yet brexit could mean the end of this special arrangement.
Where will we be in 12 months time ?
Dependent on brexit negotiations forcasts range from E1.04 to E1.24.
We will have to wait and see.

I'm sorry but basing your analysis on short term currency fluctuations is rather missing the point.

We're looking at an event in our history which easily eclipses Suez. I think we need to go back to Henry VIII (whose powers are being resurrected by May, if she can get away with it), which she can't.

His very clever :o:oplan for "taking back control" was just a tiny bit influenced by his carnal lusts and his desire to make himself the richest Monarch in Europe by taking all the wealth from the English monasteries.

(Mind that bit wasn't all that bad, but the proceeds could have been better used).

The rapid Brexiteers will argue that this lead to the glorious First Elizabethan age, while forgetting the misery and suffering endured by the people who weren't part of the Royal Family (these days the 0.001% of superrich assholes we seem to be stuck with).

Oh, Oliver Cromwell.

EMR Dec 29th 2017 9:31 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 12407151)
I'm sorry but basing your analysis on short term currency fluctuations is rather missing the point.

We're looking at an event in our history which easily eclipses Suez. I think we need to go back to Henry VIII (whose powers are being resurrected by May, if she can get away with it), which she can't.

His very clever :o:oplan for "taking back control" was just a tiny bit influenced by his carnal lusts and his desire to make himself the richest Monarch in Europe by taking all the wealth from the English monasteries.

(Mind that bit wasn't all that bad, but the proceeds could have been better used).

The rapid Brexiteers will argue that this lead to the glorious First Elizabethan age, while forgetting the misery and suffering endured by the people who weren't part of the Royal Family (these days the 0.001% of superrich assholes we seem to be stuck with).

Oh, Oliver Cromwell.

The British public is not influenced by lofty however accurate analysis of brexit and it's implications.
But rather we will judge it solely on the effect on our pockets, on the changes or lack of them we see around us when we finally leave , whatever form that takes.
I still hope and believe that reason will prevail and that we will still continue to enjoy the benefits even if there is a cost while those who still cling to the idea can say that we have left.
That we are no longer members, have taken back control.

Annetje Dec 29th 2017 9:49 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12407136)
12 months further into the brexit process.

12months ago 1pound would buy you E1.19 today E1.13 a fall of 5% , a year that saw a rise in UK interest rates which should in theory boost the pound against the Euro where rates have stayed down.
A year we keep being told that positive progress on discussions with the EU is being made.
The downside , our imports from the EU are costing us all more.
The upside our exports to the growing Eurozone economies are growing at a faster rate than to non EU nations.
UK companies able to take full advantage of the tariff free access they have to the rest of the EU.
Yet brexit could mean the end of this special arrangement.
Where will we be in 12 months time ?
Dependent on brexit negotiations forcasts range from E1.04 to E1.24.
We will have to wait and see.

Feeling down ? Need a hug ? Must be this b****y season. Nearly Spring now :nod:

Annetje Dec 29th 2017 9:52 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12407158)
The British public is not influenced by lofty however accurate analysis of brexit and it's implications.
But rather we will judge it solely on the effect on our pockets, on the changes or lack of them we see around us when we finally leave , whatever form that takes.
I still hope and believe that reason will prevail and that we will still continue to enjoy the benefits even if there is a cost while those who still cling to the idea can say that we have left.
That we are no longer members, have taken back control.

Anti immigrant sentiment seems to grow though (seen on FB).

EMR Dec 29th 2017 10:03 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Annetje (Post 12407172)
Anti immigrant sentiment seems to grow though (seen on FB).

If it is growing, I have seen no evidence of this apart from the usual suspect (s) on this forum it could be the realisation from those who voted brexit because of immigration expecting to see the changes the leave campaign promised that they were conned.
The government could face increasing discontent from both those suffering from the rise in prices and those seeing immigration numbers remaining at levels they find unacceptable.
Corbyn does not have to do much , just sit back and watch the Tories implode,

DaveLovesDee Dec 29th 2017 11:24 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12407038)
If the ship is sinking, how come my end is hundreds of feet in the air?

Because the orange Tweeto denies it's sinking.....

Richard8655 Dec 30th 2017 12:20 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Annetje (Post 12407172)
Anti immigrant sentiment seems to grow though (seen on FB).

This is also what we hear from Eastern European immigrants who reside in UK, with so many now returning home. It’s definitely been on the rise since Brexit last year. Very sad and unfortunate.

Assanah Dec 30th 2017 6:08 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Richard8655 (Post 12407223)
This is also what we hear from Eastern European immigrants who reside in UK, with so many now returning home. It’s definitely been on the rise since Brexit last year. Very sad and unfortunate.

I know at least three countries that are very delighted about this. That young, hard working, European immigrants are leaving the UK to move somewhere else in the EU is a blessing for them as they need them.

EMR Dec 30th 2017 8:01 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 
160,000 Irish passports issued this year to Brits.
Not just EU migrants covering their options.

Ozziechris Dec 30th 2017 8:08 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12407320)
160,000 Irish passports issued this year to Brits.
Not just EU migrants covering their options.

Indeed, up a massive 6% on last year.

EMR Dec 30th 2017 8:14 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Ozziechris (Post 12407325)
Indeed, up a massive 6% on last year.

I am sure you will be the first to complain you are stuck in the queues waving your blue passport complaining at the EU passport holders getting priority.
last year was also a brexit year, the vote was in June, the numbers starting increasing from then.
Do keep up.

Ozziechris Dec 30th 2017 8:26 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12407326)
I am sure you will be the first to complain you are stuck in the queues waving your blue passport complaining at the EU passport holders getting priority.
last year was also a brexit year, the vote was in June, the numbers starting increasing from then.
Do keep up.

It wouldnt bother me at all, I seem to have spent half my life in airports, being stuck in a passport queue for half an hour really is a 1st world problem.
It doesn't bother me if a few people want to get an Irish passport, good on em. What is it something like 0.2% of the population, wow.


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:59 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.