Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Post EU Referendum

Post EU Referendum

Old Dec 24th 2017, 10:14 pm
Preparing to move again

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Bipat View Post
I didn't really mean anything except they go for different purposes just like those from EU countries.
I forgot to apologize for replying to your post ... Sorry ...
Old Dec 24th 2017, 10:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Annetje View Post
I forgot to apologize for replying to your post ... Sorry ...
Why apologise? It's Christmas, I am watching TV with an ancient foreigner and reading TIO to recover from large meal.
Old Dec 24th 2017, 10:30 pm
Preparing to move again

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

Why apologise? It's Christmas, I am watching TV with an ancient foreigner and reading TIO to recover from large meal.
I had 1 pear, 2 mandarins and a yoghurt ... advantage : don't have to recover

It's Christmas ?????? I'm sure TIO is very bad for the digestive system.
Old Dec 26th 2017, 12:31 pm
Banned

007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute

Someone's (allegedly) been telling Porkys ..... They either exist or they don't.
If this was the US, by now Himself would be in front of a very hostile committee being yelled at -, holidays or not!
https://www.theguardian.com/politics...ey-didnt-exist
And what's going to happen.... nothing...
Old Dec 26th 2017, 6:09 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

A little bit of Christmas cheer, bucolic express readers and extreme brexiters crying foul at the report that Nick Clegg is to be given a knighthood while their darling Nige is ignored and rejected yet again.
Old Dec 26th 2017, 7:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Are you saying post Brexit UK citizens will be banned from living and working in EU countries?? If some form of visa or work permit is necessary--so what!
Have you heard of e-visas?
ECJ decisions--there have been decisions for and against the UK-- it is a Court--it upholds EU law. EU law that is superior to National law--its powers were increased by the Lisbon Treaty they can be increased by a further Treaty.
Pay to leave---a single payment---we pay to remain a member!
bipat.

re work,study,retire benefits : if brexit makes more cumbersome how is it a benefit ? or more expensive ? if you look at requirements for non EU citizens they are not so easy sometimes, as they are for EU citizens. and I think you know I didn't mean 'banned'.

my question has been why is the ECJ so bad that the UK leaves the EU considering on every aspect it will be a negative for economy and benefits that come along with being part of EU ?

right now pretty easy to live, work and retire in any of 27 countries, in particular for the young why take that away - you write 'so what' but if something is of benefit why take it away ?

and Brexit doesn't seem to be addressing overall immigration, and it appears freedom of movement will remain for some time- and the migrants already here can stay.

and also the UK needs to pay the EU some huge amount, plus costs to make changes to deal with leaving. how many years of so-called annual savings will that come out to ?

I still ask what ECJ decisions have been so bad to justify this mess ?
Old Dec 26th 2017, 7:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Explain! You mean the dreaded word 'visa'. They are not necessarily difficult!
but please explain why it is better to have to apply for a visa ?

or to lose current rights and privileges ? for example pay local tuition rates ?
Old Dec 26th 2017, 7:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You are replying to my post. The point was why are non-EU people working in Germany any different from EU people working there! Eric implied some difference
"For them".
Business visas different from work visas?
there is quite a difference in getting a work or residence visa between an EU citizen or non EU citizen, and of course the issue of retirement residence. Bipat be realistic- you know leaving the EU will reduce the benefits British citizens currently have. My understanding of all your posts is the big bad ECJ is justification for all the probable negatives of Brexit- and while I don't know why the ECJ is so bad, I do know reducing benefits for UK citizens cant be a good thing.
Old Dec 26th 2017, 8:14 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expatrick View Post
One of the classics which provides a perfect example (& more serious than bendy bananas) was the EU Bass fishing regulations which caused fury among the UK fishing community, fuelled by howls of outrage in the tabloid press but which were introduced by the Commission at the behest of the UK Government - in the words of George Eustice (DEFRA Minister & Brexiteer) "after constant lobbying"

From the Govt. site -
Originally Posted by Expatrick View Post
Still waiting for a response from a Brexiteer to the ”inconvenient truth" within my post no 25826. Funny how often factual posts remain unanswered.
As you might have divined, I'm not a brexiteer. But your point reminds me of a chance encounter I had with a Scottish person on the day after the referendum.

Assuming he was sane, I shared my opinion that the result was a disaster for all of the UK, but he "told" me that the Scottish fishing industry was being destroyed by EU regulations and that EU trawlers could fish in UK coastal waters while UK trawlers couldn't fish outside them.

I asked, are you sure that's true? And he replied "it's true in Scotland".

<shook head and walked away>

Last edited by Novocastrian; Dec 26th 2017 at 8:18 pm.
Old Dec 26th 2017, 8:26 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian View Post
As you might have divined, I'm not a brexiteer. But your point reminds me of a chance encounter I had with a Scottish person on the day after the referendum.

Assuming he was sane, I shared my opinion that the result was a disaster for all of the UK, but he "told" me that the Scottish fishing industry was being destroyed by EU regulations and that EU trawlers could fish in UK coastal waters while UK trawlers couldn't fish outside them.

I asked, are you sure that's true? And he replied "it's true in Scotland".

<shook head and walked away>
He probably read it in the Mail or similar.
Facts were never a strong point of the Brexit argument.
Old Dec 26th 2017, 8:42 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR View Post
He probably read it in the Mail or similar.
Facts were never a strong point of the Brexit argument.
Yes. Just another brick in the wall.
Old Dec 26th 2017, 10:04 pm
Banned

007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
I don't say it can't be done. And in fact, we do have a written constitution - it's just not all written down in the same place, and our courts are not the same as our MPs. I still hold that becoming a republic does nothing to change the fact that countries - including republics around the world - are run by corporate interests to the immense benefit of a very wealthy few. Show me a non-monarchist developed country where that is not the case. I believe we have more pressing issues at home than symbolism.
Speaking of symbolism, even Thatcher's top aide think the whole blue passport thing is silly.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics...charles-powell
... (clears mince-pie crumbs)... sorry for the delay.
Agreed L.I.W.
No, I can't show you a non-monarchist developed country where (corporates) don't run the show. But my point/s are
- Because of where we are - and going to, the UK will HAVE to act on this, as part of an entire overthrow of the whole system, wanted or not.
- Post 2019 the UK will have to put in place a head of state who gets their hands dirty in politics - domestic & foreign, because the UK will be on its own. Leaving it to the present (barely educated to O level standard in a palace) and nominated (plant-talking) line simply won't work, PLUS they can't be carried any more.- Even the generation beneath that have indicated they don't want the job - why should they?- there's no structure or defined job description in place, just as you say, it's just not all written down in the same place.
- The longer they leave it the worse the pain will be, and more radical the necessary changes will be.
So you see LIW, imo it won't be the remainers who'll be resonsible for this but those clever Brexiteers.... perfect justice really.
Old Dec 26th 2017, 10:26 pm
Preparing to move again

Originally Posted by 007Steve View Post
... (clears mince-pie crumbs)... sorry for the delay.
Agreed L.I.W.
No, I can't show you a non-monarchist developed country where (corporates) don't run the show. But my point/s are
- Because of where we are - and going to, the UK will HAVE to act on this, as part of an entire overthrow of the whole system, wanted or not.
- Post 2019 the UK will have to put in place a head of state who gets their hands dirty in politics - domestic & foreign, because the UK will be on its own. Leaving it to the present (barely educated to O level standard in a palace) and nominated (plant-talking) line simply won't work, PLUS they can't be carried any more.- Even the generation beneath that have indicated they don't want the job - why should they?- there's no structure or defined job description in place, just as you say, it's just not all written down in the same place.
- The longer they leave it the worse the pain will be, and more radical the necessary changes will be.
So you see LIW, imo it won't be the remainers who'll be resonsible for this but those clever Brexiteers.... perfect justice really.

Mmmm, mince pies ... don't have those in France
Old Dec 26th 2017, 10:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morpeth View Post
there is quite a difference in getting a work or residence visa between an EU citizen or non EU citizen, and of course the issue of retirement residence. Bipat be realistic- you know leaving the EU will reduce the benefits British citizens currently have. My understanding of all your posts is the big bad ECJ is justification for all the probable negatives of Brexit- and while I don't know why the ECJ is so bad, I do know reducing benefits for UK citizens cant be a good thing.
Yes there is a difference in getting work visas for non-EU citizens.
I was replying to a post which stated it was not possible!--I pointed out non-EU citizens are doing it all the time. I know that it is not difficult if the person has a job to go to or a business visa, I personally know non-EU people who are working and also those with business partners in Germany.

Why after Brexit are you upset that EU and non-EU would be migrating to the UK on an equal basis? (The change in the previous free movement of Commonwealth citizens has not prevented them from coming just enabling controls.) The majority of countries have controls on settlement in their country, except where a very large country has free movement from a small neighbour.

I have said many times that the primacy of EU law over national law the increased powers of the ECJ is just one of my reasons for voting to Leave.
Old Dec 26th 2017, 10:59 pm
Preparing to move again

Originally Posted by morpeth View Post
Why after Brexit are you upset that EU and non-EU would be migrating to the UK on an equal basis?
Please explain how you got to the ''upset'' bit when replying to Morpeth's post ?

Yet again, you decide that is what he means and then it becomes ''fact'' ?

All he is saying that that the Brits (including the ones living in the EU already) will lose a lot of advantages and nobody likes that !
And I (we) don't care the rules are different for non EU people ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.