British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

amideislas Dec 19th 2017 6:40 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12402309)
nawww the Americans still have it by a distance

I'd agree with that.

However, the average American, (including the "trumpers") while believing that America is the only place worth living (like many Brits, believing that Britain is the only), don't exhibit quite the same arrogance as as the stereotypical Brit.

I live in a place where Brits frequent. And I can say, it's amazing how deluded many of the British visitors (and even expats) are. It's as if Britain still runs the world. But it doesn't. Not by a long shot.

In all fairness, not all are that way, but it's surprising how many seem to subscribe. British arrogance is the common stereotype. The locsls are well aware of that.

Garbatellamike Dec 19th 2017 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12402331)
I'd agree with that.

However, the average American, (including the "trumpers") while believing that America is the only place worth living (like many Brits, believing that Britain is the only), don't exhibit quite the same arrogance as as the stereotypical Brit.

I live in a place where Brits frequent. And I can say, it's amazing how deluded many of the British visitors (and even expats) are. It's as if Britain still runs the world. But it doesn't. Not by a long shot.

In all fairness, not all are that way, but it's surprising how many seem to subscribe. British arrogance is the common stereotype. The locsls are well aware of that.

I'll try not to be to arrogant tomorrow when we hit Tenerife then ;)

amideislas Dec 19th 2017 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12402334)
I'll try not to be to arrogant tomorrow when we hit Tenerife then ;)

Good. It will serve you well. As it turns out, the "rest of the world" isn't quite as "unsophisticated" as many Brits want to believe. And the "rest of the world" knows it.

la mancha Dec 19th 2017 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12402307)
Let's agree that " project fear " was a mistake but as it is turning out " project its starting to look like we were right " would be a better description.
When it comes to blatant lies , quasi racism and outright misinformation the total spectrum of the leave side is in a universe of its own.

How you can come to that conclusion when we have not Brexited, I don’t know.
As for the rest of your post, all I can say is, well done Farage.

amideislas Dec 19th 2017 7:15 pm

How can anyone guarantee the sun will rise tomorrow. It hasn't happened yet!

la mancha Dec 19th 2017 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12402310)
What remain lies? That the UK would suffer economically? (no link needed, it's a foregone conclusion)

Suffer a lesser influence in world politics?

I only read a little of the Guardian link but here is another of the eilte who is worried about low pay? Worried about a devalued pound? When exports are booming? And at the end he says the security forces need more funding. How about the low-paid, then, matey? Forgotten about them already?

amideislas Dec 19th 2017 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12402360)
I only read a little of the Guardian link but here is another of the eilte who is worried about low pay? Worried about a devalued pound? When exports are booming? And at the end he says the security forces need more funding. How about the low-paid, then, matey? Forgotten about them already?

So, it's another one of your "we're all impoverished" days? Or is it a "we're booming" day?

la mancha Dec 19th 2017 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12402327)
Examples please?

I thought Leave won because ordinary people had had enough of the elites not understanding their lives. Now you are saying that if Remain had not lied in some way you do not specify, people would have in fact voted to stay - which is saying that the basic, factual, existing situation was actually ok, the vote only went the way it did because Remain didn't explain those facts correctly. Which is a totally different thing.

The Remain lies have been specified over many hundreds of pages on here. If you missed them then what do you want me to do? Repeat repeats?

Nobody explained the facts properly but if Remain had not told such outrageous lies some people would have believed what Remain did tell them. Some who voted Leave would have been minded to vote Remain but when the Remain lies became so stupidly arrogant and false, those people who might have swung the outcome voted Leave. They saw the elites were trying to frighten them. Remain have only themselves to blame. Thanks to their arrogance we are now leaving the EU. Okay with that?

amideislas Dec 19th 2017 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12402363)
The Remain lies have been specified over many hundreds of pages on here. If you missed them then what do you want me to do? Repeat repeats?

Nobody explained the facts properly but if Remain had not told such outrageous lies some people would have believed what Remain did tell them. Some who voted Leave would have been minded to vote Remain but when the Remain lies became so stupidly arrogant and false, those people who might have swung the outcome voted Leave. They saw the elites were trying to frighten them. Remain have only themselves to blame. Thanks to their arrogance we are now leaving the EU. Okay with that?

No they haven't. Because they don't really exist.

la mancha Dec 19th 2017 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12402362)
So, it's another one of your "we're all impoverished" days? Or is it a "we're booming" day?

I didn't say it. One of your mates in the Guardian did. Go argue the night away with them.

amideislas Dec 19th 2017 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12402365)
I didn't say it. One of your mates in the Guardian did. Go argue the night away with them.

Actually, you did.

la mancha Dec 19th 2017 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12402364)
No they haven't. Because they don't really exist.

Someone have a word.

Lion in Winter Dec 19th 2017 7:32 pm

So you are saying the same thing. Remain only lost because they "lied" and didn't explain the facts correctly. Therefore, had the actual facts been explained and understood, people would have voted to stay. And since these facts represent truth (as opposed to the Remain lies), the truth is that we would have been better off staying. Do you think the people are stupid and would have deliberately chosen the wrong path even after the facts had been properly explained?

Bipat Dec 19th 2017 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12402344)
Good. It will serve you well. As it turns out, the "rest of the world" isn't quite as "unsophisticated" as many Brits want to believe. And the "rest of the world" knows it.

'Brexiters' have been trying to convince you of this since the thread started!

Annetje Dec 19th 2017 7:41 pm

Not sure about the arrogance bit, but probably, if remain had campaigned more positive, they might have won a few more votes.
Having said that, beating the Bus and Farage poster is almost impossible.

And talking the Elite, I think you mean that May has forgotten about the JAM'S, hasn't she (remember her acceptance speech ... sounded good hey) ? She is turning out bad news for both leave and remain sides.