British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

DaveLovesDee Dec 19th 2017 10:46 am

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12402001)
Anyway for the avoidance of doubt, I'm pro-EU but very anti the Commission, which is the most corrupt, nepotistic and dishonest organization I've ever had the displeasure to work with.

I've seen EU funds used for a number of local projects. I've seen no issues with the local organisations receiving the money, but they do tell me that there are other organisations that aren't as responsible using the funds they receive, but that when there's a problem, the EU gets labelled as corrupt, not the local organisation.

If people research the stories of EU corruption', they'll find it's almost always the organisations receiving the funds who are to blame, by either mismanagement or incomplete paperwork.

Lion in Winter Dec 19th 2017 11:01 am

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12402043)
I've seen EU funds used for a number of local projects. I've seen no issues with the local organisations receiving the money, but they do tell me that there are other organisations that aren't as responsible using the funds they receive, but that when there's a problem, the EU gets labelled as corrupt, not the local organisation.

If people research the stories of EU corruption', they'll find it's almost always the organisations receiving the funds who are to blame, by either mismanagement or incomplete paperwork.

Yup.

https://www.clientearth.org/bulgaria...te-aid-misuse/

Aid agency's funding suspended after staff are accused of sexually exploiting refugees

Or even

Ukip's finances under investigation amid claims EU money was misspent

Anyway, it's all moot now since we won't be getting that funding any more. Eventually...

Well, Farage will, but the rest of us won't.

Expatrick Dec 19th 2017 11:29 am

Or even -

Olive Growers’ Claims Prompt Investigation - The New York Times

Lion in Winter Dec 19th 2017 11:48 am

Originally Posted by Expatrick (Post 12402070)

Well of course it's the EU's fault for offering economic support to start off with. Or something.

iano Dec 19th 2017 11:49 am

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12401999)
Wow sinking to personal attacks - playing the man not the ball........ :nod:

Taking one for the team.

It now appears we’re on the same side, pro-EU, but it’s never been obvious, strangely.

Expatrick Dec 19th 2017 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12402027)
Perhaps this little tidbit might lighten the mood

As the Xmas season approaches and some will tuck into a traditional Xmas dinner allegedly Leicestershire County Council tweeted 6 sprouts = 1 portion so don't overbuy and they won't go to waste.

Now someone with rapier like wit probably a Brexiteer tweeted back

If we want to leave Brussels we will.

It's called "taking back control" :lol:

007Steve Dec 19th 2017 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12401710)
Who might they be?

... 'They' are the kind of long-suffering Brit serfs who pay for such vanity projects as;-
  • The HS2 fiasco,
  • The Environment Agency's National Flood 'defence' scheme/s, - what a winner!!!
  • And a new aircraft carrier with a leaky propeller shaft, without the most expensive US fighters that can't carry the necessary weaponry.
Obviously la mancha, that includes all the salaries, pensions & fees (and later Honours) of those responsible for such Triumphs. I suspect you approve.

007Steve Dec 19th 2017 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by Expatrick (Post 12402159)
It's called "taking back control" :lol:

... Don't forget the leaky propeller shaft ...... :nod:

Garbatellamike Dec 19th 2017 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by Annetje (Post 12402042)
Maybe the difference is that you were in Brussels whilst Garbatellamike was in Italy ?

In some instances yes but one also went to meetings in Beussels, which is where the nepotism was exposed to me.

Garbatellamike Dec 19th 2017 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by iano (Post 12402085)
Taking one for the team.

It now appears we’re on the same side, pro-EU, but it’s never been obvious, strangely.

:rofl: I was so tempted to write "do keep up" but I'm glad we are on the same side, if one can undertand the concept of sides, which doesn't appear to be as well understood as I'd previously thought.;)

Expatrick Dec 19th 2017 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by 007Steve (Post 12402164)
... Don't forget the leaky propeller shaft ...... :nod:

& the engines that weren't designed for warmer waters!

Annetje Dec 19th 2017 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12402168)
In some instances yes but one also went to meetings in Beussels, which is where the nepotism was exposed to me.

You will find that anywhere in the world, including the UK ... It was the corrupt bit that interested me ??? Examples of that one please ???

Garbatellamike Dec 19th 2017 3:07 pm

Anyone notice that the Remain Campaign and the Liberal Democrats got fined by the Electoral Commission for irregularities in referendum spending? It seems it wasn't just those dishonest leavers that did it.....

Garbatellamike Dec 19th 2017 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by Annetje (Post 12402180)
You will find that anywhere in the world, including the UK ... It was the corrupt bit that interested me ??? Examples of that one please ???

2016 was the first time that the Commissions accounts were signed off with a qualified, prior to that it was always adverse so they are getting better but still work in progress.

DaveLovesDee Dec 19th 2017 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12402168)

Nepotism happens in the UK too!

How many family members get positions as MP's secretaries, government or business intern positions or jobs due to the old boy's network?

UK cracks down on nepotism in Parliament

Nepotism or meritocracy? Explaining the rise of career politicians

From 2012:
Our parties must rid themselves of this stench of nepotism

From 2014:
Why Tory attack on Labour's nepotism will backfire. Spectacularly

And who remembers the nepotism in the British film industry?
Researchers find 'culture of nepotism' in British film industry

If you worked for an organisation and could get your children a job with them, wouldn't you give them the opportunity?