British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Garbatellamike Dec 19th 2017 9:00 am

Re: Post EU Referendum

Anyway for the avoidance of doubt, I'm pro-EU but very anti the Commission, which is the most corrupt, nepotistic and dishonest organization I've ever had the displeasure to work with.

amideislas Dec 19th 2017 9:12 am

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12401997)
Thanks after years as an Expat in the Near East, Middle East, Central America and latterly Europe, I'm heading back to UK.

You don't really strike me as the "it's-so-unbritish-everywhere-can't-live-without-my-english-telly-pubs-branston-pickle-or-roast-beef&pud" type... You seem well above that.

I've also been abroad for a long, long time, known many British expats, and overwhelmingly, those who choose to return either don't for a) family reasons, b) offered a job, c) can't integrate and inevitably face skint. I've known precious few who actually prefer England.

What's your excuse?

amideislas Dec 19th 2017 9:13 am

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12402001)
Anyway for the avoidance of doubt, I'm pro-EU but very anti the Commission, which is the most corrupt, nepotistic and dishonest organization I've ever had the displeasure to work with.

And you get this information... where?

Garbatellamike Dec 19th 2017 9:13 am

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12402005)
And you get this information... where?

working with them.... was there a part of the working with them I was unclear on??? Sigh

Garbatellamike Dec 19th 2017 9:17 am

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12402004)
You don't really strike me as the "it's-so-unbritish-everywhere-can't-live-without-my-english-telly-pubs-branston-pickle-or-roast-beef&pud" type... You seem well above that.

I've also been abroad for a long, long time, known many British expats, and overwhelmingly, those who choose to return either don't for a) family reasons, b) offered a job, c) can't integrate and inevitably face skint. I've known precious few who actually prefer England.

What's your excuse?

I became an expat to travel and make more money. Visited 43 countries on work tasks and been an expat in 6 but have bought a camper van to travel Europe in whilst retaining a base in UK near enough to go and watch my favourite footy team play when I'm home. I'm retiring at a pretty early age as Expattery has been good to me financially speaking and can do what I want.

PS you are right I integrated in the Italian community and speak the language fluently but I do like Branston pickle

Ingles Dec 19th 2017 9:38 am

If this has already been posted I apologise

https://www.theguardian.com/politics..._US_collection

Expatrick Dec 19th 2017 9:39 am

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12401999)
Wow sinking to personal attacks - playing the man not the ball........ :nod:

But it's alright for you -

Garbatellamike , Oct 9th 2017 10:05 am
no I understand your puerile moaning point and I disagree - stop moaning will you, there was a legal referendum and you lost - stop moaning and move on, you may even win the next referendum then it will be great and you can stop moaning

moan moan moan

Garbatellamike Dec 19th 2017 9:44 am

Originally Posted by Expatrick (Post 12402017)
But it's alright for you -

I am guilty of responding in kind you are correct in that and you are right to bring up the moaning again it's reaching epidemic proportions.

Expatrick Dec 19th 2017 9:51 am

On the subject of personal attacks -

https://news.sky.com/story/sky-news-...oubry-11177060

The unacceptable face of Brexit.

Garbatellamike Dec 19th 2017 9:53 am

Originally Posted by Expatrick (Post 12402025)
On the subject of personal attacks -

https://news.sky.com/story/sky-news-...oubry-11177060

The unacceptable face of Brexit.

:goodpost: agree with you 100 per cent

Former Lancastrian Dec 19th 2017 9:53 am

Perhaps this little tidbit might lighten the mood

As the Xmas season approaches and some will tuck into a traditional Xmas dinner allegedly Leicestershire County Council tweeted 6 sprouts = 1 portion so don't overbuy and they won't go to waste.

Now someone with rapier like wit probably a Brexiteer tweeted back

If we want to leave Brussels we will.

Garbatellamike Dec 19th 2017 9:54 am

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12402027)
Perhaps this little tidbit might lighten the mood

As the Xmas season approaches and some will tuck into a traditional Xmas dinner allegedly Leicestershire County Council tweeted 6 sprouts = 1 portion so don't overbuy and they won't go to waste.

Now someone with rapier like wit probably a Brexiteer tweeted back

If we want to leave Brussels we will.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: love it

Bipat Dec 19th 2017 10:05 am

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12402008)
I became an expat to travel and make more money. Visited 43 countries on work tasks and been an expat in 6 but have bought a camper van to travel Europe in whilst retaining a base in UK near enough to go and watch my favourite footy team play when I'm home. I'm retiring at a pretty early age as Expattery has been good to me financially speaking and can do what I want.

PS you are right I integrated in the Italian community and speak the language fluently but I do like Branston pickle

OH became a temporary expat to travel, to get further work qualification and view this wonderful UK that he had been brought up to 'admire'---
Ended up--- Indian through and through but also totally British!!
More pro-Brexit than any on this thread, admires++ Mrs May:lol:

Cannot do without Branston pickle--and uses tomato ketchup!!

amideislas Dec 19th 2017 10:21 am

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12402006)
working with them.... was there a part of the working with them I was unclear on??? Sigh

Oh, well, the reason I asked is because I also have worked expensively with the EU, I even used to have an apartment on Ave. Louise in Brussels.

In that time, my experience was that there is so much sensitivity to anything that could be remotely construed as corrupt or otherwise "inappropriate" dealing at all levels (even for purchases of a few thousand euros), that the bureaucracy is astronomical. Everything goes through rigorous scrutiny. It slows down virtually any process to a snail's pace.

So, aside from what you read in the British tabloids, I personally haven't seen much evidence of this rampant corruption you and the tabloids talk about. Even from the inside. It's pretty difficult to get away with. To a point where it's detrimental to the process.

Annetje Dec 19th 2017 10:44 am

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12402038)
Oh, well, the reason I asked is because I also have worked expensively with the EU, I even used to have an apartment on Ave. Louise in Brussels.

In that time, my experience was that there is so much sensitivity to anything that could be remotely construed as corrupt or otherwise "inappropriate" dealing at all levels (even for purchases of a few thousand euros), that the bureaucracy is astronomical. Everything goes through rigorous scrutiny. It slows down virtually any process to a snail's pace.

So, aside from what you read in the British tabloids, I personally haven't seen much evidence of this rampant corruption you and the tabloids talk about. Even from the inside. It's pretty difficult to get away with. To a point where it's detrimental to the process.

Maybe the difference is that you were in Brussels whilst Garbatellamike was in Italy ?