British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Lion in Winter Dec 16th 2017 11:16 am

Re: Post EU Referendum

Well the part-author of this mess gets to cash in anyway.

Former PM takes on UK-China investment role - BBC News

It's great how those elites have been put in their place by brexit, isnt it. The people win!

007Steve Dec 16th 2017 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12400672)

It's great how those elites have been put in their place by brexit, isnt it. The people win!

Now, now LIW speak Politely about our Betters & Social Superiors please, otherwise you’ll get a Reputation and Cape Blue will come & read from his boys-own manifesto to everyone again.
And, let’s not overlook, as Cameron swans about at the taxpayers expense in his new role, his family’s brokerage firm from which he makes the odd Shilling here & there. I’m sure he might be able to get the odd Chinese business deal from the new job – but be absolutely certain he doesn’t have to declare it, since he’s no longer an MP….

Red Eric Dec 16th 2017 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12400672)

He would, wouldn't he? He's part of the Establishment.

The anti-Establishment wing of Brexit has bankrupted itself through it's selfless devotion to duty : 'I'm 53, separated and skint': Nigel Farage reveals the 'price he has paid for Brexit'

Lion in Winter Dec 16th 2017 2:18 pm

Y

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12400704)

The anti-Establishment wing of Brexit has bankrupted itself through it's selfless devotion to duty : 'I'm 53, separated and skint': Nigel Farage reveals the 'price he has paid for Brexit'

He needs to cut back on his pub bill then :blink: He's had an EU salary and expenses cheque since 1999, and stands to get further pensions and subsidies from the EU/British taxpayer to the tune of 73 - 132 quid per year.

My heart bleeds.

scrubbedexpat099 Dec 16th 2017 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12400704)

AKA The Swamp.

Cape Blue Dec 16th 2017 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12400605)
Must have been quite a tussle. I'll put you down as a Manx Remainer.

You do a fantastic impression of it at times.

How about you try posting without the ad-hominem.

Lion in Winter Dec 16th 2017 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12400725)
How about you try posting without the ad-hominem.

The expression pot, kettle, etc might be worth your while investigating.

Cape Blue Dec 16th 2017 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12400578)
I didn't notice that on the ballot question?

Do you really think that sort of reply is clever or nuanced or something?

The ballot was to leave or stay and those who voted to leave were predominantly focused on immigration, ECJ/lawmaking, EU expansion and money spent.

You can obviously argue they were mistaken in their thoughts, but to deny these were the drivers is idiotic. As they were the main drivers for the leave vote, we cannot stay in the SM because it would require FOM and we cannot stay under the ECJ.

As above, there are plenty of arguments to be made against those positions, but to deny they were the driver for the leave vote is to deny reality, just as the extreme brexiter fringe used to do before the referendum.

Cape Blue Dec 16th 2017 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12400592)
What and all the majority of the electorate wants is enough money at the end of the month to pay their bills, live a reasonable life, holidays etc.
Have a decent degree of job and personal security.
If Bino or Lino provides that then brexit will within a few years be just a chapter in our history.

You're correct - and that majority of the voting electorate believe that stopping FOM, removing the ECJ, etc is the best way to achieve it.

They might be wrong, but that's what they believe.

Cape Blue Dec 16th 2017 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12400731)
The expression pot, kettle, etc might be worth your while investigating.

All you have is never-ending passive-aggressive snipes from the sidelines, like the little kid in the playground urging the bullies on. Actually, you also have petty grammar swipes as well.

Cape Blue Dec 16th 2017 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by morpeth (Post 12400540)
I have the same problem with news sources from either right or left.

I say desperate because I think as the full extent of this disaster called Brexit is felt, the politicians will be desperate to produce some "good" news.

As far as trade deals I see your point but basic economics I think dictates any substantive benefits the EU as a stronger market can also get. I am also skeptical about trade deals as not all deals are beneficial overall or for specific industries. I could see a trade deal with USA/Canada and maybe Australia as part of close political/military ties, but neither May nor Trump I think have enough vision to do so.

But why do you think it is a "disaster" though?

I'm genuinely interested why upset remainers see Brexit in such extreme terms - if one reads the Guardian we will all be starving to death within a couple of weeks with no medicines, scanners, NHS staff and unable to even fly out of the hell-hole that the UK will become - but this sort of hyperbole just makes people look like the extreme brexiters did before the referendum.

Surely the reality will be some short-term hurdles and then either a gradual reduction in our economic prospects compared to staying, the same, or a gradual improvement compared to staying.

Economists are really dire predictors of the future and appear to get far more wrong that right - it's an art not a science - so I find it hard to accept the opinion of so many of them.

In first principles, it's clear that any barriers, tariff or otherwise, with our largest trading bloc will be a negative, which is why we want to get a sensible FTA. But as I mentioned before, we will also free ourselves to do deals that will suit the UK better rather than our share of an EU deal that has to take into account red-lines from Wallonia to Latvia.

Immigration has both positives and negatives, to both the donor and recipient country, I think the balance for the UK has tipped into negative territory on both the quality, quantity and persistence of net migration - other may argue that it's still positive, but again, if we find our net inbound migration goes down to "only" 100,000 a year I'm not sure how this will be disastrous - since yr 2000 our population has been growing at a rate five times what it was in the 70's and 80's - do we really think that we need to continue expanding at that rate ad infinitum?

Thanks for debating respectfully, not much of that going on around here.:(

EMR Dec 16th 2017 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12400735)
You're correct - and that majority of the voting electorate believe that stopping FOM, removing the ECJ, etc is the best way to achieve it.

They might be wrong, but that's what they believe.

But it's not going to happen or make any significant difference to their lives.
So who will you and they find to blame.

Lion in Winter Dec 16th 2017 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12400738)
All you have is never-ending passive-aggressive snipes from the sidelines, like the little kid in the playground urging the bullies on. Actually, you also have petty grammar swipes as well.

As I was saying....

Red Eric Dec 16th 2017 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12400741)
Thanks for debating respectfully, not much of that going on around here.:(

It's a rare post indeed of yours that doesn't contain some idiotic, infantile swipe, which is precisely why you're getting it back from some quarters. Seems you can't take a hint, though.

And when you're not having a go at other posters, it's this kind of crap

if one reads the Guardian we will all be starving to death within a couple of weeks with no medicines, scanners, NHS staff and unable to even fly out of the hell-hole that the UK will become - but this sort of hyperbole just makes people look like the extreme brexiters did before the referendum.
If that's really what you believe is all that's on their website, I can't understand why you bother wasting your time on it.

As for hyperbole, that's as fine an example as you could give.

Garbatellamike Dec 16th 2017 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12400773)
It's a rare post indeed of yours that doesn't contain some idiotic, infantile swipe, which is precisely why you're getting it back from some quarters. Seems you can't take a hint, though.

you ever look in the mirror Eric?