British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

DaveLovesDee Dec 16th 2017 5:46 am

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 12400577)
Sort of what we had before we got involved with this mess. Life went on.

The UK was one of the poorest European countries before we joined the EEC. Would you like me to Google that for you?

Assanah Dec 16th 2017 6:36 am

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12400582)
The UK was one of the poorest European countries before we joined the EEC. Would you like me to Google that for you?

With the exception of London it still is the country with the poorest regions compared with Western European EU member states. But then the UK likes to delude itself by always comparing itself only to countries that are in trouble atm, like Greece

EMR Dec 16th 2017 6:43 am

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12400488)
One of those petty people that can only throw abuse rather than have a reasonable discussion about brexit. There are plenty of normal remainers and brexiters around who can do this, but the pre-referendum kipper swivel-eyed-loons and post-referendum remainiacs can only throw abuse.

Yes, of course the UK could leave the EU but then stay in all its major institutions (delightful "logic" quip), but it's pretty clear that would be LINO and against both the spirit of the referendum and the main desires of the majority of the voting electorate who voted leave.

What and all the majority of the electorate wants is enough money at the end of the month to pay their bills, live a reasonable life, holidays etc.
Have a decent degree of job and personal security.
If Bino or Lino provides that then brexit will within a few years be just a chapter in our history.

amideislas Dec 16th 2017 7:00 am

Originally Posted by Assanah (Post 12400589)
With the exception of London it still is the country with the poorest regions compared with Western European EU member states. But then the UK likes to delude itself by always comparing itself only to countries that are in trouble atm, like Greece

What? England is the only beaming example of freedom and prosperity left in the world. Not to mention center of the universe. All the rest are "less advanced" and certainly unsophisticated. All them foreign places are little more than undemocratic banana republics. I mean take the Americans... Look how they hold a fork... Drive on the wrong side of the road ... very dangerous .. And how many other countries have the basic decency to learn and speak proper English? No wonder they can't get decent jobs.. or how many neglect to smother everything in HP sauce? Very unsophisticated.

scrubbedexpat099 Dec 16th 2017 7:07 am

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12400582)

Nahh

i know it is not true.

EMR Dec 16th 2017 7:25 am

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 12400598)
Nahh

i know it is not true.

Facts never been popular with you have they.

Red Eric Dec 16th 2017 7:44 am

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12400337)
...I was a remain voter...

Must have been quite a tussle. I'll put you down as a Manx Remainer.

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12400485)
...I don't read the knee-jerk right wing media ...

You do a fantastic impression of it at times.

iano Dec 16th 2017 7:51 am

Note Jacob Ree-Smog is flexing his muscles...

😂

Red Eric Dec 16th 2017 7:55 am

Originally Posted by morpeth (Post 12400414)
Democracy. The issue has raised lots of emotions and I think for all those who voted to leave their intentions as to why to leave should be considered- my hunch is when faced with reality 10 to 20% who voted leave would vote differently. This is serious stuff for Britain's future, and I don't have a lot of confidence in either of the two major parties to decide this issue well.

For democracy to be served, what is required is a parliamentary debate and vote on the aim of the negotiations - not just the interim arrangement, but the whole shebang. A proper debate and a proper vote, not some sham by the time it's all too late all based on some decision taken in the wake of the referendum by May and one advisor who's now long gone. And not bullied out of Parliament by forced adherence to the party line backed up by a rabid press and topped off with death threats directed at their targets.

The ill-advised election was one step. The humiliating defeat for May this week was another. I hope she obtusely carries on with keeping the leave date in the Brexit bill and gets a drubbing on that next week as well. And then admits that she hasn't got enough parliamentary support to carry this through as is and that what she needs for a satisfactory negotiation with the EU is that backing and a clear idea of where the country should be heading before sitting down to the rest of it.

EMR Dec 16th 2017 8:03 am

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12400605)
Must have been quite a tussle. I'll put you down as a Manx Remainer.

You do a fantastic impression of it at times.

Cape reminds me of a Jesuit convert, they were often the most dedicated to the extremes views of the inquisition.

EMR Dec 16th 2017 8:32 am

Unity in the cabinet is a fragile thing.
Less than a week after Davis talked of a Canada plus plus deal, Hammond has said that such comments are not helpful and that the UK should push for a bespoke deal with the EU .

jimenato Dec 16th 2017 10:03 am

Can't remember who it was but someone was suggesting on here that although it was being reported that there had been an increase in hate crime since the Brexit vote - it was illusory and it hadn't actually happened, that it was merely an increase in reports not actual incidents.

Here is some evidence that it is real

Muslim footballers playing the game at grassroots level are increasingly being targeted with Islamophobic abuse following Brexit, according to the organisation that monitors racism in football.

Kick It Out said the numbers of cases it has been asked to investigate has increased sharply since the vote to leave Europe.

Bipat Dec 16th 2017 10:37 am

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 12400642)
Can't remember who it was but someone was suggesting on here that although it was being reported that there had been an increase in hate crime since the Brexit vote - it was illusory and it hadn't actually happened, that it was merely an increase in reports not actual incidents.

Here is some evidence that it is real

Could it also be due to the Manchester and London attacks and the resultant press coverage rather than/or as well as Brexit?

jimenato Dec 16th 2017 10:44 am

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12400654)
Could it also be due to the Manchester and London attacks and the resultant press coverage rather than/or as well as Brexit?

That story is being played repeatedly on SKY TV news and they are saying it's specifically increased since Brexit.

007Steve Dec 16th 2017 11:08 am

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 12400658)
That story is being played repeatedly on SKY TV news and they are saying it's specifically increased since Brexit.

Better to ask cui bono, ..... then seek the hidden hand.