British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Cape Blue Dec 15th 2017 5:46 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 12400294)
Actually the dumb blonde on the panel said the same thing. I've no idea why - just stupid.

Does anyone (apart from some Brexiteers who are racking up the righteous indignation for some reason only know to themselves) seriously believe that we might not leave?

Truth is, Brexiteers should welcome the amendment - unless of course they are wanting a no-deal jump over the cliff exit.

I'm starting to think that many of them are stupid enough to want that.

They will be trying to push a LINO - Leave in Name Only - keeping us in the EU institutions that people voted to leave. When people voted Brexit they voted to leave free movement and leave ECJ controls, these remainiacs will try and vote-down a full and proper leave and instead push us towards a LINO.

SultanOfSwing Dec 15th 2017 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12400328)
The majority of the voting electorate. That's how our democracy works.

It was an advisory referendum. The democratically elected Parliament doesn't actually have to follow the advice. Don't pretend for a minute that you would be sitting here championing 'democracy' if the referendum had gone the other way because I wasn't born yesterday.

SultanOfSwing Dec 15th 2017 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12400330)
They will be trying to push a LINO - Leave in Name Only - keeping us in the EU institutions that people voted to leave. When people voted Brexit they voted to leave free movement and leave ECJ controls, these remainiacs will try and vote-down a full and proper leave and instead push us towards a LINO.

People didn't 'vote for Brexit', they marked an X on a piece of paper that asked the question: "Should the UK leave the European Union?". They basically answered a yes or no question and that's it.

Cape Blue Dec 15th 2017 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12400320)
Tell me something, cape...

Why hasn't Britain left the EU yet? There's no legal reason why Britain can't just say "as of today, we are out". End of.

Is it because of her "subversion" tactics? Remoaners? A secret EU plot? What?

Because the sensible thing to do when leaving friends is to negotiate a sensible working relationship first and give business and individuals time to prepare.

Difficult when the EU trio are busy backstabbing and twittering like Trump, but decent British diplomacy will win through eventually.

Cape Blue Dec 15th 2017 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12400331)
It was an advisory referendum. The democratically elected Parliament doesn't actually have to follow the advice. Don't pretend for a minute that you would be sitting here championing 'democracy' if the referendum had gone the other way because I wasn't born yesterday.

You can always tell a remainiac by their use of the "advisory" referendum or "37%" quotes - hilarious really :lol:

I would be, not just because I was a remain voter either.

amideislas Dec 15th 2017 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12400324)
Leave means leave - no ECJ, non FOM, no SM, no CU. If we don't leave those we have not left the EU.

You're actually quite accurate in that description. So, it occurs to me that apparently Britain doesn't actually want to leave, because it certainly could've done exactly what you describe by now. Could've been long in Britain's rear view mirror by now (or England's, as could well be the ultimate outcome in that scenario).

Or is there something else it wants? A comprehensive benefits package? (that would be a stereotypically British expectation after all).

amideislas Dec 15th 2017 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12400336)
Because the sensible thing to do when leaving friends is to negotiate a sensible working relationship first and give business and individuals time to prepare.

Difficult when the EU trio are busy backstabbing and twittering like Trump, but decent British diplomacy will win through eventually.

What could possibly lead you to that conclusion? Daily Express? Or your hypocrisy hobby? Or both...

SultanOfSwing Dec 15th 2017 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12400337)
You can always tell a remainiac by their use of the "advisory" referendum or "37%" quotes - hilarious really :lol:

What is it with you people and your wank words. Or your aversion to facts.

This doesn't really affect me personally anymore as I am not ever likely to be resident in the UK anymore but rest assured I will be basking in the schadenfreude if and when Brexit falls apart like the flimsy, poorly designed, embarrassingly presented house of cards it is. All the weak insults in the world won't be able to help you then.

Novocastrian Dec 15th 2017 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12400337)

Here's a quote you'll recognise

"When you've ruled out the impossible, whatever remains must be the truth". Arthur Conan Doyle.

Hard Brexit is impossible, what is left is EEA/EFTA membership or the withdrawal of A50.

The former is more likely because it obeys "the will of the people", on one day in June last year, while the latter is more desirable.

EMR Dec 15th 2017 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12400324)
Leave means leave - no ECJ, non FOM, no SM, no CU. If we don't leave those we have not left the EU.

So we are not leaving then ?

morpeth Dec 15th 2017 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12400134)
Over two-thirds who took part in the YouGov Poll, less than 2,000 people.
Not two-thirds of those who voted leave!

How are people chosen for YouGov Polls?

I haven't a clue how people are chosen or what the margin of error was I that poll.

Annetje Dec 15th 2017 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12400336)

:angel: :rofl::rofl:

Sooo funny !!!

:sarcasm:

amideislas Dec 15th 2017 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 12400348)
Here's a quote you'll recognise

"When you've ruled out the impossible, whatever remains must be the truth". Arthur Conan Doyle.

Hard Brexit is impossible, what is left is EEA/EFTA membership or the withdrawal of A50.

The former is more likely because it obeys "the will of the people", on one day in June last year, while the latter is more desirable.

Oh, "hard Brexit" is certainly possible, but it would be very "hard" for Britain. Really disastrous. But it's certainly possible.

Brexit, technically, means "hard" Brexit (as cape rightfully points out). But that now seems unlikely, for obvious reasons. But it never was "likely", as the damage would be politically unbearable. No Tory would survive it.

morpeth Dec 15th 2017 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12400214)
Illegal migration is a totally separate issue, that is not what we are discussing.

Just asking but my impression from this thread and others that those who voted to leave had different reasons : some the level of immigration overall, some because of freedom of movement, some because the ECJ, some just from patriotic reasons, money promised for NHS, and perhaps some who actually believing leaving a single market will be beneficial economically. So I would think illegal migration may have some relevance. An I wrong ?

Giantaxe Dec 15th 2017 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12400330)

"Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?"

There's nothing in there that states the referendum was about voting to leave the ECJ or free movement. Some may interpret it as such, but it's just as valid to interpret otherwise. And that really is why the referendum itself was flawed.