British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

DaveLovesDee Dec 15th 2017 1:57 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12400214)
Illegal migration is a totally separate issue, that is not what we are discussing.

Many don't understand the difference. Others choose to deliberately blur the distinction.

I remember watching a UKIP candidate at a Welsh Assembly hustings say that if they were elected, they'd make it harder for people to migrate to Wales. The other candidates had to explain to the gentleman that immigration isn't a devolved issue.

Bipat Dec 15th 2017 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12400224)
But isn't that what Brexit was about getting control back of the borders and not having the EU dictate how many the UK needs to take in?
Remind me again why there was a vote and what it was about?

You are mixing two totally different issues. Illegal immigration is a problem for any country.
Those coming on the 'back of lorries' --from Calais--are also illegally in France!

Why are you introducing this subject when we are discussing skilled Non-EU migrants in the UK?

Bipat Dec 15th 2017 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12400232)
Many don't understand the difference. Others choose to deliberately blur the distinction.

I remember watching a UKIP candidate at a Welsh Assembly hustings say that if they were elected, they'd make it harder for people to migrate to Wales. The other candidates had to explain to the gentleman that immigration isn't a devolved issue.

I agree but I would have expected a poster on TIO to know the difference!

EMR Dec 15th 2017 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12400210)
Yes, they weren't too keen on the backsliding Labour or treacherous Tory on the panel were they. The sensible ones were the blonde in the corner and the comedian.

It seemed like most of the crowd were against migration.

Obviously you have no time for anyone who sticks to their beliefs..
Your accusation of a treacherous Tory smells of the very dictatorship brexiters claim is the EU.

SultanOfSwing Dec 15th 2017 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12400246)
I agree but I would have expected a poster on TIO to know the difference!

Well, more fool you then :lol:

Cape Blue Dec 15th 2017 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12400254)
Obviously you have no time for anyone who sticks to their beliefs..
Your accusation of a treacherous Tory smells of the very dictatorship brexiters claim is the EU.

Her employers, the voting electorate, have told her what they want to happen, she is not trying to assert Parliamentary democracy, she is trying to subvert brexit and has done so by stabbing her boss in the back. Perhaps the Tories will go all Momentum on her ass and start deselecting these "rebels".

Lion in Winter Dec 15th 2017 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12400256)
Her employers, the voting electorate, have told her what they want to happen, she is not trying to assert Parliamentary democracy, she is trying to subvert brexit and has done so by stabbing her boss in the back. Perhaps the Tories will go all Momentum on her ass and start deselecting these "rebels".

Actually, the voting electorate has done no such thing. All they did was say "leave", and we are leaving. Absolutely no detail on what that leaving would mean, or what the leave agreement might be, was provided, so people can't be said to have voted for any of it, either way.

The voting electorate, has, in fact, got exactly what it voted for. A non-specific, unplanned leave, devoid of leadership of any kind.

SultanOfSwing Dec 15th 2017 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12400260)
Actually, the voting electorate has done no such thing. All they did was say "leave", and we are leaving. Absolutely no detail on what that leaving would mean, or what the leave agreement might be, was provided, so people can't be said to have voted for any of it, either way.

The voting electorate, has, in fact, got exactly what it voted for. A non-specific, unplanned leave, devoid of leadership of any kind.

I'm just popping in to say it was only 37% of the electorate anyway, and then I'm going to bugger off again ... :scarper:

007Steve Dec 15th 2017 2:40 pm

[QUOTE=Lion in Winter;12400260

The voting electorate, has, in fact, got exactly what it voted for. A non-specific, unplanned leave, devoid of leadership of any kind.[/QUOTE]

... :amen: to that

Former Lancastrian Dec 15th 2017 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12400238)
You are mixing two totally different issues. Illegal immigration is a problem for any country.
Those coming on the 'back of lorries' --from Calais--are also illegally in France!

Why are you introducing this subject when we are discussing skilled Non-EU migrants in the UK?

Must have me mixed up with someone else I have never discussed skilled non EU migrants in any post.
So remind me again what the Brexit vote was for? I couldn't vote so Im curious.

Yes skilled non EU migrants are controlled as they have to apply and be issued with work visas etc before even arriving in the UK.

007Steve Dec 15th 2017 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12400271)
So remind me again what the Brexit vote was for? I couldn't vote so Im curious..

It was about returning control of a dozy nation's population back into the tryannical clutches of a small elite, so they can feel they're still relevant. Actually they belong in a museum.

SultanOfSwing Dec 15th 2017 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by 007Steve (Post 12400275)
It was about returning control of a dozy nation's population back into the tryannical clutches of a small elite, so they can feel they're still relevant. Actually they belong in a museum.

Holy crap, you're on fire today :D

007Steve Dec 15th 2017 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12400276)
Holy crap, you're on fire today :D

;) So would you be, if you'd finally woken up to the fact there's only 9 days left & haven't planned where to do your man's style late Christmas Eve's shopping.... It'll be fine....fine

SultanOfSwing Dec 15th 2017 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by 007Steve (Post 12400280)
;) So would you be, if you'd finally woken up to the fact there's only 9 days left & haven't planned where to do your man's style late Christmas Eve's shopping.... It'll be fine....fine

Amazon Prime, my good man. Still time to get that sweet, sweet two day shipping. Which reminds me, I must get mine done too. Usually I'm way ahead of the game by now but my wife is really bad at dropping hints and I'm really shit at coming up with ideas unaided.

We really should just stop getting each other presents but I'm damned if she's not going to have something to open on Christmas, even if it is just a box of zebra cakes.

Bipat Dec 15th 2017 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12400271)
Must have me mixed up with someone else I have never discussed skilled non EU migrants in any post.
So remind me again what the Brexit vote was for? I couldn't vote so Im curious.

Yes skilled non EU migrants are controlled as they have to apply and be issued with work visas etc before even arriving in the UK.

Your post 25306 mentioning 'foreigners' and all the "Non-EU citizens making it to the UK"--You did not mention illegally.

I pointed out that they were all skilled (they have to fulfil criteria for the work visas as you say.) (Apart from dependant relatives).

The Brexit vote was to leave the EU!