British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Former Lancastrian Dec 15th 2017 12:42 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12400124)
If the UK had the same lower standard of living and benefits system as those countries its more than likely it would have been Brits leaving our shores in search of jobs and a better life.

THIS X 1000

But the UK has a fairly robust economy and what some consider generous benefits hence the criticism of foreigners then throw in all of the NON EU citizens making it to the UK then this just pisses of the leavers even more hence the Brexit vote. Im not against Immigration or helping refugees as I live in a country that champions this but when people say enough is enough then shit happens.

Lion in Winter Dec 15th 2017 12:59 pm

Leave fans on this thread need to make their minds up. Half the time they're saying it wasn't all about immigration, and the other half of the time they say it is.

DaveLovesDee Dec 15th 2017 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12400134)
Over two-thirds who took part in the YouGov Poll, less than 2,000 people.
Not two-thirds of those who voted leave!

How are people chosen for YouGov Polls?

YouGov publishes polls on it's website. Anyone in the UK can register and vote in any of the polls. No-one is picked.

I don't know whether you can register and vote from outside the UK.

Bipat Dec 15th 2017 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12400154)
THIS X 1000

But the UK has a fairly robust economy and what some consider generous benefits hence the criticism of foreigners then throw in all of the NON EU citizens making it to the UK then this just pisses of the leavers even more hence the Brexit vote. Im not against Immigration or helping refugees as I live in a country that champions this but when people say enough is enough then shit happens.

I think most people agree that some form of controls on immigration are necessary for any country.
Non-EU citizens are not just "making it" to the UK, they are controlled.
A previous poster mentioned "skilled EU migrants and Non-EU migrants"--as thought the latter were unskilled! In fact all Non-EU migrants are skilled and have to comply with regulations (apart from family dependants etc.)

DaveLovesDee Dec 15th 2017 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12400163)
Leave fans on this thread need to make their minds up. 75% the time they're saying it wasn't all about immigration, and the other 60% of the time they say it is.

FIFY :p

Bipat Dec 15th 2017 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12400163)
Leave fans on this thread need to make their minds up. Half the time they're saying it wasn't all about immigration, and the other half of the time they say it is.

We are all individuals with our own opinions.

Former Lancastrian Dec 15th 2017 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12400165)
I think most people agree that some form of controls on immigration are necessary for any country.
Non-EU citizens are not just "making it" to the UK, they are controlled.
.)

Are you seriously suggesting that the several hundred if not thousands of non EU citizens seen jumping out of the back of lorries on the Motorways or A roads in the UK etc is CONTROLLED IMMIGRATION :rofl:

Lion in Winter Dec 15th 2017 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12400171)
We are all individuals with our own opinions.

Actually it looks more like the same people saying two contradictory things.

But what did you actually think brexit was about, this is the question. You appear to have voted for wildly divergent things.

scrubbedexpat099 Dec 15th 2017 1:13 pm

All those Billions we now seem to owe would be a good enough reason but there are of course many more good reasons to leave.

007Steve Dec 15th 2017 1:15 pm

IMO, in a sense, Rupert Murdoch’s end-game in the big-bad-world-of-business seems to provide a parallel to where we find ourselves.
His $80 Billion business is simply too small to compete in the immediate digital age, hence the sale to Disney Corp. breaking up his dynastical empire. Disney itself is struggling to maintain it’s position against the digital majors, even though it has its own digital feeds and media bases.
Lesson – when you’re too small, get out before you’re driven into bankruptcy or irrelevance
Now, here’s the UK leaving it’s major marketplace in the political belief that, from a smaller capital base, it can trade independently with everyone AND keep a near-the-same trade deal with the EU…..

I know our naysayers will scream the two aren’t similar and running a business isn’t the same as mismanaging a country, …. but it just seems appropriate to me.

(...Disney might even get rid of that newsreader Burley and her
peculiar eyes) :nod:

Cape Blue Dec 15th 2017 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 12400024)
I watched Question Time last night (BBC TV discussion programme with panel of politicos and a live audience) and believe me leavers are seriously pissed off right now.

They are incandescent with rage about how it's all (not) going. You think remainers can moan? You should hear leavers at it!

A constant theme seems to be 'there was only one question on the ballot paper - leave or remain - so get on with it'.

There seems to be no realisation that anything from the softest Brexit possible to jumping over the cliff with no deal and everything between those two extremes constitute leaving and would satisfy the leave vote on the ballot paper.

They just don't seem to have grasped exactly how complicated this is.

As keeps getting pointed out by Brexiteers they each have their own reason for voting leave - whether it's immigration, cost, primacy of EU law or whatever. If their own particular bête noire isn't killed by the final deal they are going to be absolutely furious.

And it's all their own fault.

Yes, they weren't too keen on the backsliding Labour or treacherous Tory on the panel were they. The sensible ones were the blonde in the corner and the comedian.

It seemed like most of the crowd were against migration.

Cape Blue Dec 15th 2017 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12400047)
Your anecdotal experience isn't the same as a properly-conducted survey in which a representative sample of the population is asked exactly the same questions. And if public attitudes are nuanced, crudely-framed questions are not going to uncover those nuances (as was made perfectly clear in the article I posted and in plenty of others, some of which have been discussed on here in the past).

Here is a relevant paragraph from the most recent link I posted - I don't usually expect to have to copy and paste the entire thing, bit by bit and site rules don't allow for posting more than a flavour of copyrighted material, which is why I didn't quote more of it first time round. Overall, the article confirms what you and la mancha have said but says there's more to it than that. Going doo-lally, claiming bias and saying remainiacs are all in denial isn't a particularly mature way to deal with the matters addressed.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-market-access

Thanks for confirming my anecdotal experience.

Bipat Dec 15th 2017 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12400173)
Are you seriously suggesting that the several hundred if not thousands of non EU citizens seen jumping out of the back of lorries on the Motorways or A roads in the UK etc is CONTROLLED IMMIGRATION :rofl:

Illegal migration is a totally separate issue, that is not what we are discussing.

Bipat Dec 15th 2017 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12400178)
Actually it looks more like the same people saying two contradictory things.

But what did you actually think brexit was about, this is the question. You appear to have voted for wildly divergent things.

You replied to my post! Are you asking me or the all who post on this thread?

Former Lancastrian Dec 15th 2017 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12400214)
Illegal migration is a totally separate issue, that is not what we are discussing.

But isn't that what Brexit was about getting control back of the borders and not having the EU dictate how many the UK needs to take in?
Remind me again why there was a vote and what it was about?