British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Annetje Dec 14th 2017 9:52 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by morpeth (Post 12399941)
I have to admit that surprises me- I would thought if I told someone that they would receive none of the results they wanted, and the economy would suffer from Brexit that perhaps a fair amount of people who voted for Brexit would have second thoughts. So emotion or nationalism the main driving force for most Brexit voters ?

Don't get me wrong, I didn't vote for or against Brexit, but I am fascinated that I cant seem to find any opinion about how it will benefit the poor and working poor of Britain or help the NHS, through real economic growth from leaving the EU.

They just do NOT want to admit they had it WRONG ... Is that called ''false pride'' ?

DaveLovesDee Dec 15th 2017 5:29 am

I'm going to move home one day. I don't intend moving into another home yet (it takes time to negotiate the costs), and I intend to continue keeping the benefits of my current home (central heating, cooking facilities and a warm bed) without paying rent.

My landlord needs me more than I need them. :p

jimenato Dec 15th 2017 5:57 am

I watched Question Time last night (BBC TV discussion programme with panel of politicos and a live audience) and believe me leavers are seriously pissed off right now.

They are incandescent with rage about how it's all (not) going. You think remainers can moan? You should hear leavers at it!

A constant theme seems to be 'there was only one question on the ballot paper - leave or remain - so get on with it'.

There seems to be no realisation that anything from the softest Brexit possible to jumping over the cliff with no deal and everything between those two extremes constitute leaving and would satisfy the leave vote on the ballot paper.

They just don't seem to have grasped exactly how complicated this is.

As keeps getting pointed out by Brexiteers they each have their own reason for voting leave - whether it's immigration, cost, primacy of EU law or whatever. If their own particular bête noire isn't killed by the final deal they are going to be absolutely furious.

And it's all their own fault.

Red Eric Dec 15th 2017 7:31 am

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12399925)
Why do you remainiacs feel the need to be so petty and bitchy the whole time?.....

You guys spend you whole time in petty ad-hominem attacks...

:lol:

DaveLovesDee Dec 15th 2017 7:31 am

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 12400024)
A constant theme seems to be 'there was only one question on the ballot paper - leave or remain - so get on with it'.

And it was a deliberately ambiguous question.

Had there been more than one Leave option (hard/soft/other), it would have confused Leave voters even more. Nobody listened to the warnings that it wasn't that simple a question, and we were dismissed as Project Fear.

DaveLovesDee Dec 15th 2017 7:34 am

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12399925)
Why do you remainiacs feel the need to be so petty and bitchy the whole time?

You guys spend you whole time in petty ad-hominem attacks

Red Eric Dec 15th 2017 7:44 am

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12399909)
Actually my anecdotal experience is just the same, UK workers choosing no to free movement over the single market.

Your anecdotal experience isn't the same as a properly-conducted survey in which a representative sample of the population is asked exactly the same questions. And if public attitudes are nuanced, crudely-framed questions are not going to uncover those nuances (as was made perfectly clear in the article I posted and in plenty of others, some of which have been discussed on here in the past).

Here is a relevant paragraph from the most recent link I posted - I don't usually expect to have to copy and paste the entire thing, bit by bit and site rules don't allow for posting more than a flavour of copyrighted material, which is why I didn't quote more of it first time round. Overall, the article confirms what you and la mancha have said but says there's more to it than that. Going doo-lally, claiming bias and saying remainiacs are all in denial isn't a particularly mature way to deal with the matters addressed.

Framed as an isolated issue, the study confirmed that public opinion is still deeply divided a year on from the Brexit referendum: 72% of leave voters rated immigration either as very important or the most important issue in the talks, and 74% of remain voters said the opposite, ranking it less important or not important at all.

When asked to consider free movement as a trade-off for single market access – a principle described last week as “indivisible” by EU’s chief Brexit negotiator Michel Barnier – British voters appear far more pragmatic and united.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-market-access

007Steve Dec 15th 2017 8:06 am

Originally Posted by Annetje (Post 12399945)
They just do NOT want to admit they had it WRONG ... Is that called ''false pride'' ?

...:goodpost:
Though future UK generations will be paying for that pride.
Cue 'land of hope & glory'

EMR Dec 15th 2017 8:17 am

May receives round of applause from her fellow EU leaders.

The knives will be out for her on the extremTory brexit fringe.
She could also loses next week's vote on the " date of departure " as Tory remainers flex their muscles.

007Steve Dec 15th 2017 9:54 am

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12400055)
May receives round of applause from her fellow EU leaders.

The knives will be out for her on the extremTory brexit fringe.
She could also loses next week's vote on the " date of departure " as Tory remainers flex their muscles.

I finally understand the Brexiteer's post-policy.... encirclement. :nod:
And what better figure to explain it to us Little People, in his very own words, than Neville, below. Fine sage to follow..... The last phrase is particularly telling.

morpeth Dec 15th 2017 11:23 am

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12400047)
Your anecdotal experience isn't the same as a properly-conducted survey in which a representative sample of the population is asked exactly the same questions. And if public attitudes are nuanced, crudely-framed questions are not going to uncover those nuances (as was made perfectly clear in the article I posted and in plenty of others, some of which have been discussed on here in the past).

Here is a relevant paragraph from the most recent link I posted - I don't usually expect to have to copy and paste the entire thing, bit by bit and site rules don't allow for posting more than a flavour of copyrighted material, which is why I didn't quote more of it first time round. Overall, the article confirms what you and la mancha have said but says there's more to it than that. Going doo-lally, claiming bias and saying remainiacs are all in denial isn't a particularly mature way to deal with the matters addressed.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-market-access

So those who voted to leave over two-thirds cited immigration as a key reason, yet overall would accept freedom of movement for market access. So I guess how do they view EU freedom of movement vs immigration ?

Former Lancastrian Dec 15th 2017 11:44 am

Originally Posted by morpeth (Post 12400115)
So those who voted to leave over two-thirds cited immigration as a key reason, yet overall would accept freedom of movement for market access. So I guess how do they view EU freedom of movement vs immigration ?

Its a question not easily answered.
I tend to think some Leavers want certain controls on Immigration but the EU Freedom Of Movement can conflict with their views.

They believe that due to this freedom of movement the UK is being taken advantage of by other EU nationals.
Why did by estimates close to 1 million Poles move to the UK? How many Brits went to Poland and if not why not.
How many Latvians, Lithuanians, Bulgarians and Romanians etc have arrived in the Uk? How many Brits have left for those countries.

EMR Dec 15th 2017 11:48 am

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12400122)
Its a question not easily answered.
I tend to think some Leavers want certain controls on Immigration but the EU Freedom Of Movement can conflict with their views.

They believe that due to this freedom of movement the UK is being taken advantage of by other EU nationals.
Why did by estimates close to 1 million Poles move to the UK? How many Brits went to Poland and if not why not.
How many Latvians, Lithuanians, Bulgarians and Romanians etc have arrived in the Uk? How many Brits have left for those countries.

Had the UK been in the same economic state as these countries while they were enjoying the better economy that we have had in the UK.
If the UK had the same lower standard of living and benefits system as those countries its more than likely it would have been Brits leaving our shores in search of jobs and a better life.

Ingles Dec 15th 2017 11:55 am

With all the -hit going on , this is all this Tory -wat is worried about

Give us back our wine: Tory MP says Britain entitled to share of 42,000 bottles in EU cellar

By the look off colour off his face ,it denotes he has probably has a empty cellar :rofl:

Bipat Dec 15th 2017 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by morpeth (Post 12400115)

Over two-thirds who took part in the YouGov Poll, less than 2,000 people.
Not two-thirds of those who voted leave!

How are people chosen for YouGov Polls?