British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

EMR Dec 13th 2017 7:36 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12399273)
I suspect it's not that tiny.

The party that advocates that policy is now in the dustbin of history

How do you explain the growing labour shortage in a country that continues to have immigration far above the levels you find acceptable.

Bipat Dec 13th 2017 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by morpeth (Post 12399247)
1.) Not a question of prejudices, just mechanics of vetting are more difficult in less advanced countries, that is all. Obvious ad common sense.

2.) The issue raised was because of geographical proximity, and often greater familiarity with rule and regulations of the EU, simply if UK needs skilled workers why reduce the ease for business to hire such workers. You have not addressed why making it less easy to hire skilled EU workers is an advantage.

3.) You brought up the strain on schools and hospitals, I just pointed out this could mean it would be better to reduce immigration/migration, and if the benefits of a deal with EU outweighed effects of keeping some level of freedom of movement, then reduce other immigration. Common sense, and again my concern is for the UK not other countries.

You mention many different economic benefits, but I have a hard time seeing very many- and few who think Brexit is positive seem to be able with a straight face say Brexit will be beneficial to the UK economy. Why not list concretely what the benefits are that will outweigh the economic benefits of being part of the EU ?

1) Morpeth for one example we probably would not have an NHS if there had not been migrants from what YOU call "less advanced countries", who came from 1948 onwards from the Caribbean and Subcontinent. They are certainly skilled occupations.

2) Why should it be less easy to hire skilled EU workers?? :eek:Are you saying that they are less capable of filling in work visa forms--
-Non EU workers --those substandard from "less advanced"! countries only eight hours flight away for many (and I can assure you the multiple flights are always full!). Australia you prefer---much longer flight! How is that logical.

3) How many times--it is not to help other countries--it is about the UK.
"Reduce other immigration"--I am afraid after reading your posts on this and the other thread it is nothing but unpleasant prejudice.

amideislas Dec 13th 2017 7:48 pm

Aren't ALL countries "less advanced" than Britain?

I mean, in how many countries will you find HP on the table in restaurants?

SultanOfSwing Dec 13th 2017 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12399290)

Steady on now. Brexit is a huge ****ing embarrassment but HP is the nectar of the gods themselves ... :p

Bipat Dec 13th 2017 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12399290)

Not in my other one! I have bought British apples there from a small market stall. However when visiting the UK many kids from there like tomato ketchup, they go straight for fish and chips and others liked my Yorkshire pudding.
:lol::lol:

Cape Blue Dec 13th 2017 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12399283)
First off, if anyone has been "grandstanding" in Brexit it has demonstrably been the brexiteers. Precious few would or could dispute that at this point. This isn't worth arguing. It's common knowledge. Don't bother.

Second, there are two major events in the past year whose origins are broadly compared ideologically. 1) Brexit (led by a close associate of #2) Trump. The two events have astronomical commonalities. This also is broadly known and hardly disputable.

The obvious hypocrisy is simply accusing the alternative parties of the very same behaviour, which incidentally, is also completely false, as a matter of public record.

Grow up.

I have given evidence of EU grandstanding, you have merely made a statement with nothing behind it.

Yes, there may be some commonalities between Brexit and Trump, but that does not mean that the EU trio are not using Trumpisms in their battle to dominate the brexit discussions.

Cape Blue Dec 13th 2017 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12399285)
The party that advocates that policy is now in the dustbin of history

How do you explain the growing labour shortage in a country that continues to have immigration far above the levels you find acceptable.

They were a one-issue party and spectacularly won that issue, there is no more need for them.

There is no labour shortage, we have over a million unemployed yet alone those parked on disability with "bad backs".

If you permit an economy hooked on cheap labour you will generate one that continues to want its fix.

The reality is that we need to migrate away from this low value-add, low-cost labour market and brexit will help to start this process. Each of the sectors whining about not being able to employ impoverished EU labour on slave wages will have to start to change their model - they will need to pay more to get workers, invest in automation and examine product substitution to less labour intensive ones,

EMR Dec 13th 2017 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12399304)
They were a one-issue party and spectacularly won that issue, there is no more need for them.

There is no labour shortage, we have over a million unemployed yet alone those parked on disability with "bad backs".

If you permit an economy hooked on cheap labour you will generate one that continues to want its fix.

The reality is that we need to migrate away from this low value-add, low-cost labour market and brexit will help to start this process. Each of the sectors whining about not being able to employ impoverished EU labour on slave wages will have to start to change their model - they will need to pay more to get workers, invest in automation and examine product substitution to less labour intensive ones,

There is a core of unemployable for numerous reasons.
People do not live where there are vacancies.
We are not Victorians with Victorian atitude to employment.
There are shortages in every sector of the UK economy.
Your picture of engineers, electricians, designers, it engineers, mevhanics etc on slave wages shows just how little you know about the UK Labour market and its economy.

EMR Dec 13th 2017 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12399304)

There is a core of unemployable for numerous reasons.
People do not live where there are vacancies.
We are not Victorians with Victorian atitude to employment.
There are shortages in every sector of the UK economy.
Your picture of engineers, electricians, designers, it engineers, mevhanics etc on slave wages shows just how little you know about the UK Labour market and its economy.

Red Eric Dec 13th 2017 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12399299)
I have given evidence of EU grandstanding, you have merely made a statement with nothing behind it.

You haven't, actually. You simply made an unsubstantiated allegation based on a means of communication.

Crappy though I, personally, think it is for the world's leaders to be communicating through social media, I have to admit to its potential effectiveness in getting through to the general population, especially those who haven't the time or the inclination to sort out for themselves which newspapers or other sources they can rely on to get information from the horse's mouth.

There's no comparison whatsoever though, between the pronouncements of Trump and those of the EU representatives you mentioned. Besides which, May, Davis, Johnson, Gove, Farage etc all have their Twitter accounts, so if you're going to condemn Verhofstadt & co, you should have a pop at them, too. They're the ones trying to impose the crappy programme they haven't even got a proper plan for on the rest of us, after all. The other lot are just expressing their understandable astonishment at that situation and the bollocks that arises from it.

Red Eric Dec 13th 2017 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12399235)
It's really not that difficult, yet remainiacs feel we have to have completely open doors to any of half a billion.

Except that the doors are not completely open, despite the "freedom of movement" misnomer.

EMR Dec 13th 2017 8:52 pm

May loses Commons vote.
Two steps forward one step back.
Gove, Davis and Johnson will be sharpening their knives.

Red Eric Dec 13th 2017 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12399227)
Some people believe that the UK's needs in terms of housing, transport, workers wages, productivity etc are best served by net-zero immigration for a sensible period.

They're called Kippers and you do a ****ing good impression of one.

Nobody sensible believes in net-zero (or even zero nett) immigration for any period.

Lion in Winter Dec 13th 2017 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12399291)
Steady on now. Brexit is a huge ****ing embarrassment but HP is the nectar of the gods themselves ... :p

And besides, it's made in The Netherlands :p

la mancha Dec 13th 2017 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12399327)
Except that the doors are not completely open, despite the "freedom of movement" misnomer.

Pedant Man strikes again.