British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Garbatellamike Dec 10th 2017 12:56 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12397117)
Oxford/Cambridge/UCL/LSE etc. etc. Might not go bust but less foreign students would have negative affect--for many other reasons see above post.

not sure why you include LSE in that list, should be first to go

EMR Dec 10th 2017 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12397130)
not sure why you include LSE in that list, should be first to go

Anywhere that challenges the establishment should of course be closed.
Who else would you add to the list.
LSE home of traitors and spies 😁😁😁😁

Red Eric Dec 10th 2017 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12397117)
Oxford/Cambridge/UCL/LSE etc. etc. Might not go bust but less foreign students would have negative affect--for many other reasons see above post.

By those criteria, you'd have a very tough job indeed justifying restrictions on freedom of movement for EU nationals, who, by and large, are moving to the UK for work purposes (and could therefore be deemed, even more so, to be fulfilling the country's needs).

Bipat Dec 10th 2017 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12397191)
By those criteria, you'd have a very tough job indeed justifying restrictions on freedom of movement for EU nationals, who, by and large, are moving to the UK for work purposes (and could therefore be deemed, even more so, to be fulfilling the country's needs).

There is a difference in 'freedom' of movement and migration according to the needs at any one particular time.

Not all student applicants get college places or visas.
If NHS staff have been needed they have been recruited from Commonwealth countries even though those citizens no longer have freedom of movement.

Given that Brexit happens what objection do you have with rules for EU and non-EU migrants being the same?

(I think that the non-EU spouse rules should be changed).

EMR Dec 10th 2017 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12397203)
There is a difference in 'freedom' of movement and migration according to the needs at any one particular time.

Not all student applicants get college places or visas.
If NHS staff have been needed they have been recruited from Commonwealth countries even though those citizens no longer have freedom of movement.

Given that Brexit happens what objection do you have with rules for EU and non-EU migrants being the same?

The Norway option which we seems to be getting closer to includes agreement on of movement option.
An open border with Ireland means that anyone entering through the ROI will have freedom to enter the UK.
Spousal relationships should be proved on the basis of a genuine relationship , not an enforced or arranged marriage.

Bipat Dec 10th 2017 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12397207)
The Norway option which we seems to be getting closer to includes address on of movement option.
An open border with Ireland means that anyone entering through the ROI will have freedom to enter the UK.
Spousal relationships should be proved on the basis of a genuine relationship , not an enforced or arranged marriage.

Obviously spousal relationships should be on the basis of a genuine relationship. Enforced marriage is illegal in most countries.
"Arranged" ----have you heard of 'match-making'?

What is your objection to equal rules for all migrants regardless of origin?

Annetje Dec 10th 2017 3:14 pm

Surprise ... the EU is better organized than DD :sarcasm:

Brexit Impact Studies

A really looooong read for these cozy winter evenings ;)

EMR Dec 10th 2017 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12397209)
Obviously spousal relationships should be on the basis of a genuine relationship. Enforced marriage is illegal in most countries.

A girl bought up in the UK going on also called holiday and then returning with a husband husband who she had never met, had nothing in common with who claims rights of entry into the UK a few weeks later is not match making.
That is a enforced marriage .

Annetje Dec 10th 2017 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12397209)

C'mon Bipat, I'm sure that question has been answered quadruple times already ...

Garbatellamike Dec 10th 2017 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by Annetje (Post 12397216)
Surprise ... the EU is better organized than DD :sarcasm:

Brexit Impact Studies

A really looooong read for these cozy winter evenings ;)

not on that evidence - did you fail to note the disclaimer. Nothing to do with EU views of the authors.......

Bipat Dec 10th 2017 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by Annetje (Post 12397218)
C'mon Bipat, I'm sure that question has been answered quadruple times already ...

It hasn't. I am speaking of Post Brexit.

Bipat Dec 10th 2017 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12397217)
A girl bought up in the UK going on also called holiday and then returning with a husband husband who she had never met, had nothing in common with who claims rights of entry into the UK a few weeks later is not match making.
That is a enforced marriage .

I agree with you, it happens only in certain ultra-religious communities. It is illegal as I said in most countries.

That is not what we are discussing here---the rules for a non-EU spouse have been criticised often enough on this forum!

Red Eric Dec 10th 2017 3:25 pm

Of course there is - and I'm also always tempted to put the word "freedom" (or even the whole phrase) in quotes as well ;) However, that doesn't alter the fact that people who move from one country to another for work purposes under EU rules are fulfilling needs.

Given that Brexit happens...

It's not a given - although eventually I suppose that might depend on what one thinks of as Brexit

... what objection do you have with rules for EU and non-EU migrants being the same?

I haven't said I have any objection. What I continually try to point out to you, in the face of your rather definite statements, is that there are distinct possibilities that things could turn out rather differently from the "same rules for all" that you fondly imagine will be the eventual outcome.

I think there's a fat chance of that with the current lot in charge. You could try voting Labour at the next election if you want the income requirement scrapped, though.

Annetje Dec 10th 2017 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12397221)
not on that evidence - did you fail to note the disclaimer. Nothing to do with EU views of the authors.......

Brexit impact studies = doesn't has to be the EU view (if that is what you mean), it's done by experts ... (sorry)

EMR Dec 10th 2017 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12397231)
I agree with you, it happens only in certain ultra-religious communities. It is illegal as I said in most countries.

That is not what we are discussing here---the rules for a non-EU spouse have been criticised often enough on this forum!

We are discussing ALL aspects of non EU migration and the equality of qual8fication.
Including spousal qualifications which you want to ease.