British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

la mancha Dec 8th 2017 4:49 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum

We wish you a Merry Brexit;
We wish you a Merry Brexit and a Happy New Year.
We’ve had eighteen months now, of you and your whines:
Bellyaching Remoaners have a Happy New Year.

Novocastrian Dec 8th 2017 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12396201)
We wish you a Merry Brexit and a Happy New Year.
We’ve had eighteen months now, of you and your whines the Tory party's amazing incompetence.
Bellyaching Remoaners have a Happy New Year.

FIFY

InVinoVeritas Dec 8th 2017 5:04 pm

God rest ye depressed Remoaners
Our Brexit, May dismay
Remember Nigel Farage
Who was born on Brexit Day
To save us all from the EU's pow'r
When we voted the wrong way
Saved by Big Bus, Banner and BoJo
Banner and Bojo
Saved by Big Bus, Banner and BoJo

la mancha Dec 8th 2017 5:16 pm

A Remoaner went to the doctor to have his blood tested. It was B negative.

Garbatellamike Dec 8th 2017 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12396188)
Ethnic cleansing was one of Garbatellamike's - he's one of you radicalised born-agains.

wrong it was Shard's idea that I just repeated with a different name

la mancha Dec 8th 2017 5:19 pm

A coachload of Romanians coming to Britain to find work stopped at a crossroad outside Calais and saw a signpost, ‘Britain Left’. They turned round and went back to Bucharest.

Annetje Dec 8th 2017 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12396226)
A coachload of Romanians coming to Britain to find work stopped at a crossroad outside Calais and saw a signpost, ‘Britain Left’. They turned round and went back to Bucharest.

:lol::lol:

amideislas Dec 8th 2017 5:25 pm

Hey, let's jump off the cliff. It'll be great.

Yeah, think of the freedom! Free fall! Yeah!

What? You want to jump off the cliff? If it doesn't kill you, it'll certainly hurt like crazy and possibly cripple you.

Oh, Christ! Shut up you stupid moaning wimpy-arsed twit.

Yeah, what do you know? Ever jumped off a cliff before? My god, there's so many idiots nowadays. You're not from around here, are you? You should just crawl back in whatever hole you crawled out of.

Ready? 1-2-3... Wait.... No, you go first.

Me? Why me? Wasn't my idea.

You guys are nuts.

(In tandem) shut up you stupid non-jumping moaner!

EMR Dec 8th 2017 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12396226)

That was before they heard today that the doors to the UK are wide open until we finally brexit , they retain full rights to REMAIN in the UK.

jimenato Dec 8th 2017 5:35 pm

Some jolly happy singing Brexiteers today!!:lol:

So they're the happy ones Cape Blue was talking about then! I'm happy for them - they've obviously got everything that wanted out of Brexit so far - apart from Farage - he's not happy apparently.

Actually I can't think Capey's very happy - didn't he want a hard border in Ireland? Oh well - can't have it all.

Cape Blue Dec 8th 2017 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12396191)
Trade in services are generally highly contentious in trade agreements. Domestic service businesses generally loathe competition from foreign entities.

But that aside, first, it's a two-way street. For example, the NHS, Britain's largest employer, accounts for a huge chunk of Britain's services GDP. This is not an exportable service. But you can be certain that any trade agreement involving British services exports will involve the import of services from the other party. And what's Britain's largest services GDP? You think the yanks aren't going to want a chunk of that?

Finally, it's all but a foregone conclusion that even in the best of likely scenarios, British service exports to the EU will be much more restricted than it is now. One of Britain's most lucrative services in the EU involving Euro denominated clearing (it's in the trillions) is already widely assumed will vanish and move to the continent. Banks have already started planting their roots.

No, sorry, services are not likely to save Britain either.

Why would London not undertake Euro clearing after Brexit?

London not only clears contracts denominated in euros and sterling, but the US dollar, yen and 14 other currencies. In Chicago, the CME has cleared €13.3tn of euro-denominated contracts over the past three years.

Cape Blue Dec 8th 2017 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 12396240)
Some jolly happy singing Brexiteers today!!:lol:

So they're the happy ones Cape Blue was talking about then! I'm happy for them - they've obviously got everything that wanted out of Brexit so far - apart from Farage - he's not happy apparently.

Actually I can't think Capey's very happy - didn't he want a hard border in Ireland? Oh well - can't have it all.

He didn't want a hard border, he couldn't see any other route for two different countries with one in the EU and one out.

I still can't see how they are going to fudge it.

amideislas Dec 8th 2017 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12396251)
Why would London not undertake Euro clearing after Brexit?

Because the EU is planning to rescind passporting and move all clearing to the eurozone post-brexit. It's one of the (many) reasons why so many banks are setting up shop on the continent.

UK banks will lose 'passporting rights' after Britain leaves EU, Michel Barnier says

Frankfurt Is the Big Winner in Battle for Brexit Bankers

Red Eric Dec 8th 2017 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12396254)
He didn't want a hard border, he couldn't see any other route for two different countries with one in the EU and one out.

I still can't see how they are going to fudge it.

By making sure that the other one isn't completely out, either ;)

amideislas Dec 8th 2017 6:46 pm

Anyway... Looks like brexit may not mean brexit at all.

Only One Side Compromised for This Brexit Breakthrough

The U.K. bowed to EU demands on all the main issues and will have to keep doing so during trade talks.

Anyone in the U.K. still hoping for a favorable Brexit scenario should realize that the U.K. has minimal leverage in the talks, and any demands on its part are primarily domestically focused rather than meant to change EU negotiators' minds. The U.K. is, unequivocally, the party that gets fleeced in this divorce. The reasonable decision would be to abandon the whole enterprise, but since that doesn't appear to be politically feasible, the U.K. is in for months, perhaps years, of further humiliation at the negotiating table.