British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

EMR Dec 8th 2017 4:15 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum

We even lag behind Holland in the league of exporting nations at no5 in the list of EU members.
I am sure we will soon hear that the new world of brexit trade agreements will not be just about exports but increasing UK access to more and they believe cheaper imports.

Novocastrian Dec 8th 2017 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12396159)
Crikey, it's been busy here at remainiac central.

It's gratifying to see so many posters happy at a so-called EU win over the UK - what a strange psychology must drive that joy at the UK "losing".

But it's not a win over the UK. It's a win (or at least a half time lead) over the Faragists and the lunatic right wing of the Tory party.

Bipat Dec 8th 2017 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12396175)
We even lag behind Holland in the league of exporting nations at no5 in the list of EU members.
I am sure we will soon hear that the new world of brexit trade agreements will not be just about exports but increasing UK access to more and they believe cheaper imports.

You are just considering export of goods.

https://knoema.com/atlas/ranks/Service-exports#

Cape Blue Dec 8th 2017 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by Expatrick (Post 12396168)
Things not so good at Brexiteer Barracks then?

I wouldn't know, I was a remain voter.

Garbatellamike Dec 8th 2017 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 12396176)
But it's not a win over the UK. It's a win (or at least a half time lead) over the Faragists and the lunatic right wing of the Tory party.

no one is winning or losing, it's not a game.

Cape Blue Dec 8th 2017 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12396175)

I don't think you can rely on the Dutch data, I think you'll find a lot of it is German, French and British goods that are routed through Rotterdam and not actual Dutch exports.

Annetje Dec 8th 2017 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12396178)
You are just considering export of goods.

https://knoema.com/atlas/ranks/Service-exports#

Of course we do, the UK needs to export more to balance the trade difference. Not sure what they want to export more of, since they don't produce that much :confused: but that's a detail.

BTW India not very high on both lists, are they ?

007Steve Dec 8th 2017 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12396081)
Why's that, then?

Quote:
Earlier this week the European parliament passed a resolution declaring that in its view “sufficient progress” had not been made in the Brexit negotiations to move to the next stage. Although much of the debate focuses on money, the European parliament, perhaps more than any other institutional player in the negotiations, has been particularly focused on the issue of the rights of EU citizens currently living in the UK, and UK citizens living elsewhere in the EU.

The parliament has no direct role in the talks. But it does have a veto over the outcome, and – given it is the only EU institution that is directly elected by EU citizens – it is more likely to use it over this than anything else.

https://www.newstatesman.com/politic...ts-eu-citizens

The rest of the article might well be worth a read, too, particularly for anybody who still believes that guff about May desperately trying to salvage the rights of EU migrants in the face of a hostile EU holding UK citizens hostage.

:goodpost: Well said R.E.
The European Parliament is always the target for every Brexitier's & right-winger's hatred, because it practices what the UK's institutions long-ago suppressed - representative democracy.
How they do hate it...

Red Eric Dec 8th 2017 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12396163)
"Political and economic collapse", "ethnic cleansing" - you guys are top notch entertainment :lol:

Ethnic cleansing was one of Garbatellamike's - he's one of you radicalised born-agains.

jimenato Dec 8th 2017 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12396159)
Crikey, it's been busy here at remainiac central.

It's gratifying to see so many posters happy at a so-called EU win over the UK - what a strange psychology must drive that joy at the UK "losing".

Of course the UK is losing - it's bound to.

Is anyone happy?:confused:

ETA actually Bipat seem quite chirpy today - is that who you meant?

amideislas Dec 8th 2017 4:35 pm

Trade in services are generally highly contentious in trade agreements. Domestic service businesses generally loathe competition from foreign entities.

But that aside, first, it's a two-way street. For example, the NHS, Britain's largest employer, accounts for a huge chunk of Britain's services GDP. This is not an exportable service. But you can be certain that any trade agreement involving British services exports will involve the import of services from the other party. And what's Britain's largest services GDP? You think the yanks aren't going to want a chunk of that?

Finally, it's all but a foregone conclusion that even in the best of likely scenarios, British service exports to the EU will be much more restricted than it is now. One of Britain's most lucrative services in the EU involving Euro denominated clearing (it's in the trillions) is already widely assumed will vanish and move to the continent. Banks have already started planting their roots.

No, sorry, services are not likely to save Britain either.

Bipat Dec 8th 2017 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by Annetje (Post 12396186)
Of course we do, the UK needs to export more to balance the trade difference. Not sure what they want to export more of, since they don't produce that much :confused: but that's a detail.

BTW India not very high on both lists, are they ?

If you want to discuss the world's fastest growing large economy--and their market, investment and job creation in the UK, you need to do it on the other thread.

Novocastrian Dec 8th 2017 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12396181)
no one is winning or losing, it's not a game.

It's far from a game, but nonetheless there will be winners and losers. I can only lose unless sanity prevails.

la mancha Dec 8th 2017 4:45 pm

Jingle bells, jingle bells
Jingle all the way
Oh, what fun it is to hear
Remoaners whinge all day

EMR Dec 8th 2017 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12396197)
Jingle bells, jingle bells
Jingle all the way
Oh, what fun it is to hear
Remoaners whinge all day

The only whingers around at the moment are brexiters including your poster boy Farage.

Heard singing into his umpteenth pint Of The day.
" All I want for Christmas is my Brexit back"