British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Bipat Dec 8th 2017 1:29 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by morpeth (Post 12396011)
At least dear Nigel reflecting the reality that the weak negotiating position of the UK is eliminating success in many of the areas people voted for Brexit to achieve. I didnt vote I the referendum, but I am trying to be open-minded and determine where the distinct benefit to the UK is. The so-called "trade deals" we hear so much about appear to be kind of a fantasy. Instead of taking opium to blind themselves to reality, people rely on the make-believe of trade deals to make up for the negative effect of voting for Brexit, What a mess !

Maybe if the working poor and working class were doing much better, one could be content that reclaiming rights from the Eurocrats to justify Brexit, but that isn't the case.

Well the negotiations of the "trade deals" have been going on unofficially since the referendum (They cannot be official until actual Brexit). They are not "fantasy" or "make-believe" just because you seem to want them to be!

Garbatellamike Dec 8th 2017 1:30 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12395986)
At risk of accusations of pedantry, I'd say "upholding" would be a better word than "enforcing" .

that's not pedantry imho, you are exactly right, upholding is better

EMR Dec 8th 2017 1:37 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12396013)
Well the negotiations of the "trade deals" have been going on unofficially since the referendum (They cannot be official until actual Brexit). They are not "fantasy" or "make-believe" just because you seem to want them to be!

A question which you constantly refuse to answer.
Why are our European competitors able to outsell the UK when trading under the very same rules you claim limit the activities of the UK.
What has prevented UK companies from selling overseas.
The answers are Nothing prevents UK companies seliing, it just has to have What the customer wants.
All the trade deals in the world are not going to change that.

Bipat Dec 8th 2017 1:41 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12396017)
A question which you constantly refuse to answer.
Why are our European competitors able to outsell the UK when trading under the very same rules you claim limit the activities of the UK.
What has prevented UK companies from selling overseas.
The answers are Nothing prevents UK companies seliing, it just has to have What the customer wants.
All the trade deals in the world are not going to change that.

Why then does the EU prevent its member countries from having FTDs with non-EU countries?

EMR Dec 8th 2017 1:47 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12396022)
Why then does the EU prevent its member countries from having FTDs with non-EU countries?

It does not prevent anyone.
It's what the members agreed to including the UK.
Still unable to answer the question I see, why are others trading under the same rules able to outsell the UK.
What reason will you offer when little changes after brexit and the UK continues to lag behind despite your belief in trade agreements.

007Steve Dec 8th 2017 2:01 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 
THIS is where Brits living in Europe now stand.

https://britishineurope.org/response...ogress-report/

Our last hope is the European Parliament.

Assanah Dec 8th 2017 2:29 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12396022)
Why then does the EU prevent its member countries from having FTDs with non-EU countries?

Because they are part of a customs union which doesn't allow for setting separate tariffs which incidentally FTAs do.

Garbatellamike Dec 8th 2017 2:48 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by 007Steve (Post 12396032)
THIS is where Brits living in Europe now stand.

https://britishineurope.org/response...ogress-report/

Our last hope is the European Parliament.

well if that's true you are probably scewed

Red Eric Dec 8th 2017 3:02 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12396070)
well if that's true you are probably scewed

Why's that, then?

Earlier this week the European parliament passed a resolution declaring that in its view “sufficient progress” had not been made in the Brexit negotiations to move to the next stage. Although much of the debate focuses on money, the European parliament, perhaps more than any other institutional player in the negotiations, has been particularly focused on the issue of the rights of EU citizens currently living in the UK, and UK citizens living elsewhere in the EU.

The parliament has no direct role in the talks. But it does have a veto over the outcome, and – given it is the only EU institution that is directly elected by EU citizens – it is more likely to use it over this than anything else.

https://www.newstatesman.com/politic...ts-eu-citizens

The rest of the article might well be worth a read, too, particularly for anybody who still believes that guff about May desperately trying to salvage the rights of EU migrants in the face of a hostile EU holding UK citizens hostage.

Garbatellamike Dec 8th 2017 3:05 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12396081)
Why's that, then?

https://www.newstatesman.com/politic...ts-eu-citizens

The rest of the article might well be worth a read, too, particularly for anybody who still believes that guff about May desperately trying to salvage the rights of EU migrants in the face of a hostile EU holding UK citizens hostage.

:rofl::rofl::rofl: you are a card Eric but one has to point out that you are talking about the Parliament's position before the progress last night so your link is irrelevant as far as I can tell :sneaky:;)

Red Eric Dec 8th 2017 3:10 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12396086)
:rofl::rofl::rofl: you are a card Eric but one has to point out that you are talking about the Parliament's position before the progress last night so your link is irrelevant as far as I can tell :sneaky:;)

Not at all. What was agreed last night is an iterim position. The parliament will be called upon to approve the final deal - if the matter of citizens rights isn't sorted out to their satisfaction by then, they can veto it.

Garbatellamike Dec 8th 2017 3:14 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12396090)
Not at all. What was agreed last night is an iterim position. The parliament will be called upon to approve the final deal - if the matter of citizens rights isn't sorted out to their satisfaction by then, they can veto it.

Ah pedantry again, welcome back ;) it must have escaped your attention what the Parliament is doing this very afternoon:nod:

Red Eric Dec 8th 2017 3:33 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 
Must have, I suppose. What is it then?

I thought they all knocked off early on Fridays to go to hookers bars and snort drugs and stuff.

Garbatellamike Dec 8th 2017 3:41 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12396099)
Must have, I suppose. What is it then?

I thought they all knocked off early on Fridays to go to hookers bars and snort drugs and stuff.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: Not sure on the hookers but some of them have to be imbibing mind alterating substances, I bow to your greater experience of that kind of thing :sneaky:

They are debating progress - unsurprisingly

morpeth Dec 8th 2017 3:45 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12396013)
Well the negotiations of the "trade deals" have been going on unofficially since the referendum (They cannot be official until actual Brexit). They are not "fantasy" or "make-believe" just because you seem to want them to be!

I call them fantasy because I haven't seen the slightest shred of evidence that such deals will make up for the potential losses from leaving the EU, and second since it appears ( at least from news reports) none of the main reasons people voted for Brexit will happen, that bringing up trade deals as some magic elixir just to me seems like a fantasy.


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:39 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.