British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Annetje Dec 6th 2017 1:41 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12394834)
Hammond's just claimed the Cabinet hasn't discussed what final outcome it's aiming at.

That's because it is a secret May plan :sarcasm:

Red Eric Dec 6th 2017 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by Annetje (Post 12394837)
Serious question :

What are the consequences when found out that he lied (either then or now) ?

He could be deemed to be in contempt of Parliament, the ultimate sanctions for which are suspension or expulsion. Or committed to the clock tower of the Palace of Westminster, apparently.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contempt_of_Parliament

Lion in Winter Dec 6th 2017 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12394834)
Hammond's just claimed the Cabinet hasn't discussed what final outcome it's aiming at.

That's all part of the cunning plan. If you don't define a goal, nobody can blame you when you miss it.

Red Eric Dec 6th 2017 1:49 pm

In which case, I wonder if one of his disloyal colleagues can be relied upon to blow the gaff?

SultanOfSwing Dec 6th 2017 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by macliam (Post 12394541)
Aye, but you'd be a culchie to a jackeen! You made me remember something I was sent a while back .

Luckily I escaped without the nasal twang that my own dear City provides, probably beaten out of me by the Brothers - "The word "gowl" does not exist in Latin, sham.." :blink:
- but "cmereiwantcha" caused a few strange looks in London.;)

Best stop now, or we'll be as popular as a Taig on the 12th!:sneaky:

Typical bloody Dubs, eh :lol:

That being said though, I was a culchie to people who lived in Belfast, even though I was born there, lived in the greater metro area and could see the bloody city hospital (never mind the cranes) from the lough front in my town.

Off-topic is, this talk is making me all nostalgic again. Sigh.

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12394747)
That'll cause a few heart attacks in Stormont......

In fairness, that might help us out a bit.

la mancha Dec 6th 2017 4:27 pm

Serious question :

Bestowed with a life peerage.

amideislas Dec 6th 2017 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by Assanah (Post 12394789)
And now we return to the fact that the EU is much more than a trade club. Its main objective and its raison d'etre was, is, and will be peace and friendship.

Btw, it is a shame that May declared the exit of the UK so early. The UK should have had the discussions about what kind of relationship it wants with the EU before officially declaring Brexit in March. In my view that premature declaration in March was a major strategic mistake, driven by immense nationalistic emotions. Nationalistic emotions are surly a strong motivator but they seem to deactivate rational thinking and intelligence. Good luck dear United Kingdom on your lonley journey out.

The UK could have had everything it wants now. All the benefits with none of the burdens. All it needed to do was champion the EU all along, with the unambiguous understanding that it would someday leave the club (as churchill envisioned ... if that's really what it wants).

But instead, the UK spent virtually it's entire membership demonising the EU as if it were some sort of evil empire.

So, nobody really understood how dependent the UK was on its EU membership. Naturally, after being told how terrible it is over the bulk of your lifetime, many people simply reckoned that leaving the club could only be a good thing.

Well, like I always say, reality has a funny way of sorting things out ... eventually.

007Steve Dec 6th 2017 5:28 pm

1 Attachment(s)

Serious question :

Well, here's one role that fits him perfectly Annetje.....
...(Dashes with suitcase from cover as MUSIC below plays)….
Psst!… Psst!!! Lady… Oi, look here… From the red-box of a Govt. Minister – no questions asked. Fancy some Economic Impact Assessments for the old man’s tea? 30/- each or 4 for a Fiver… What about some Analyses then – six for a Quid? No?…
Look ’ere knicker-elastic 1/-d a foot or 2/6d a yard... Petrol Coupons Lady?... Oh look‘ ere - look! I got some lovely nylons here, suit you a treat……

Assanah Dec 6th 2017 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12394931)
The UK could have had everything it wants now. All the benefits with none of the burdens. All it needed to do was champion the EU all along, with the unambiguous understanding that it would someday leave the club (as churchill envisioned ... if that's really what it wants).

But instead, the UK spent virtually it's entire membership demonising the EU as if it were some sort of evil empire.

So, nobody really understood how dependent the UK was on its EU membership. Naturally, after being told how terrible it is over the bulk of your lifetime, many people simply reckoned that leaving the club could only be a good thing.

Well, like I always say, reality has a funny way of sorting things out ... eventually.

Yes, that seems to be the case.

Novocastrian Dec 6th 2017 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12394931)
The UK could have had everything it wants now.

But, astonishingly, DD said today that the Cabinet has yet to discuss what the desired "endpoint" actually is.

You couldn't make this up.

DaveLovesDee Dec 6th 2017 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 12395116)
But, astonishingly, DD said today that the Cabinet has yet to discuss what the desired "endpoint" actually is.

You couldn't make this up.

Which would have been a useful reference point to trigger Article 50....

macliam Dec 6th 2017 11:22 pm

Looks at hands.....

Piss-up.....Brewery.

Shakes head.......:blink:

Unfortunately, under UK law, there is no crime of "Not having a ducking clue".

If there was, there wouldn't be many in Government.:huh:

amideislas Dec 7th 2017 4:44 am

Reality... Sorting out ...

Theresa May is scrambling to secure the bad Brexit deal she didn't want

The European Union's negotiating tactics can be summed up in two words: "Sign here."

They could add a footnote, four words long: "We're bigger than you."

It's a lesson the United Kingdom, unused to negotiating as the weaker party, is starting to absorb.

Read More

Vexcore Dec 7th 2017 8:26 am

If it gets the remainer May out of number 10 then I will be a very happy. I cannot believe she gave so much away at the last EU meeting. I will put money on it there is a stitch up between the UK government and the Irish to make May look like a hero. If this happens we will still remain under the control of the EU.

Remember... NO DEAL is better than a BAD DEAL we reall should tell that lot to F** OFF and get on WTO.

Red Eric Dec 7th 2017 8:43 am

Bit of a conundrum there, Vexy.

"No deal is better than a bad deal" was one of May's axioms. It isn't generally accepted as true, so get rid of May and you could be getting rid of that attitude altogether (if, indeed, it still persists ;))