British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

macliam Dec 5th 2017 3:13 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12394366)
Funny thing is, I think only four of the six counties had a protestant majority even in 1921. I don't think Tyrone of Fermanagh ever had one outside of maybe some of the actual towns. Both counties are super-rural anyway, so I suppose it never really made much difference, though for some reason Fermanagh used to vote UUP for quite a while. I think that was the farmers.

Nowadays though, only Antrim and Down have any kind of a protestant majority, and even that's a shaky one. Interesting times ahead for Arlene and co.

Aye, well - I think the UK is going to see a lot of the usual DUP non-sequiturs before they disappear...
"The People of Northern Ireland will not accept...", er, the people of Northern ireland voted remain.
"Northern Ireland must be treated no differently to the rest of the UK", except when it comes to political representation, law, etc, etc.

Not that the other side are necessarily any better - and they have their own issues south of the border.

Interesting times indeed.

SultanOfSwing Dec 5th 2017 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by macliam (Post 12394375)
Aye, well - I think the UK is going to see a lot of the usual DUP non-sequiturs before they disappear...
"The People of Northern Ireland will not accept...", er, the people of Northern ireland voted remain.
"Northern Ireland must be treated no differently to the rest of the UK", except when it comes to political representation, law, etc, etc.

Not that the other side are necessarily any better - and they have their own issues south of the border.

Interesting times indeed.

I think I speak for a great many of the people of Northern Ireland when I say '**** the DUP'.

macliam Dec 5th 2017 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12394368)
And what's to stop EU nationals using free movement to move to Ireland, then use the CTA to move to NI and the rest of the UK?

Originally Posted by Annetje (Post 12394374)
That's easy ... May's invisible border :nod:

At last! There you have it.... trade is only one of the issues, which is why Dublin has been pressing for an answer to the whole problem, not just the bits that the Brexit mob think they can cover off. Ireland is not within Schengen, but it must continue to offer free movement to EU nationals.

.... and I think the UK has enough issues now, without trying to unpick agreements made almost a century ago - because those don't only include the CTA.

macliam Dec 5th 2017 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12394376)
I think I speak for a great many of the people of Northern Ireland when I say '**** the DUP'.

I think you do, but there's still a lot who still vote that way - and the polarization of politics in NI leaves them little choice...:huh:

Arlene has another problem, because she is in danger of further alienating RoUK by making a hard Brexit more likely. I'm sure she's checking the Orange dictionary for the meaning of "compromise" as we speak.:sneaky:

007Steve Dec 5th 2017 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12394256)
Does anyone have the remotest idea anymore what brexit means .?

IMO, EMR the way this is going it's the pre-cursor to dissolution of the UK....
IF the politicos really impose the promised policies post 2019, then within a decade the UK will just be a name shown on maps, becoming four in-fighting regions from an ex dysfunctional & dissolved state (perhaps more if London goes it's own way), because there’ll simply be no logical rationale or advantage to stay united.
This isn’t my personal prejudice but based, IMO, on history. Every state, including the 20th Cent. policies of Imperialism & Colonialism has collapsed when they become unsustainable; - the Beast pulls more & more resources inward desperately trying to sustain itself and causes it’s own weight to crush its body. Result;- collapse.
Last week we had the outline of how the UK plans to increase productivity. It means extreme compression of a limited & unskilled population base to market the cheapest products and services for the highest possible return. It takes no account of that population’s size, demographic or capacity; - only an aspiration for productivity the burden of which falls on the ‘left-behinds’, and which in some unspecified way, eventually trickles down – the old Tory totem.
How long will a divided population put up with that?

Novocastrian Dec 5th 2017 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12394324)
It does not solve uncontrolled immigration.

There are other ways to do that... https://www.theguardian.com/football...ootball-league

007Steve Dec 5th 2017 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by macliam (Post 12394361)
Now, now ....... nothing wrong with republican feelings ;)

Descriptions of products as being "Ulster so & so" are OK, because they are produced in the province of Ulster. Equally, the people who live there are Ustermen. However, politically the statelet is "Northern Ireland" because the border was drawn around those counties that had a Protestant majority and were therefore thought likely to support the union. Only six of the nine counties of the ancient province of Ulster were thus included and Donegal, Cavan and Monaghan were excluded and are part of the republic, which, to the EXTREME annoyance of unionists is officially recognized as Ireland (or Éire if you must).

Those of a unionist persuasion chose to ignore these "anomalies" and still call the place "Ulster" (Maybe because "Northern Ireland will fight and Northern Ireland will be right!" doesn't really cut it as a chant). But now, we live in a more enlightened age...... so the political use of Ulster is less common - Tiocfaidh ár lá:sneaky:

:goodpost:
Thanks macliam - useful info to store away when the media try to re-write the history books.

SultanOfSwing Dec 5th 2017 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by macliam (Post 12394380)
I think you do, but there's still a lot who still vote that way - and the polarization of politics in NI leaves them little choice...:huh:

Arlene has another problem, because she is in danger of further alienating RoUK by making a hard Brexit more likely. I'm sure she's checking the Orange dictionary for the meaning of "compromise" as we speak.:sneaky:

The tribalism in NI is a cancer, on both sides. Everyone goes full orange/green and completely ignores the moderate options. Such a backwards thinking little corner of toxic evangelism as well. I blame the Presbyterians, myself :sneaky:

I think the Orange definition of 'compromise' is having a bonfire and a march on the same road.

macliam Dec 5th 2017 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12394404)
The tribalism in NI is a cancer, on both sides. Everyone goes full orange/green and completely ignores the moderate options. Such a backwards thinking little corner of toxic evangelism as well. I blame the Presbyterians, myself :sneaky:

I think the Orange definition of 'compromise' is having a bonfire and a march on the same road.

I bow to your greater knowledge. I know it exists and I know what the pro and anti treaty divisions did to the republic as well. In the north it just seems to defy the normal ageing process - whereas these days it's a rarity for such tribalism to rear its head down south (though use of the term "blueshirt" to describe Fine Gael shows it still exists).:sneaky:

I listened to various DUP spokesmen on the radio today - and a bullsh*t button was really necessary. I guess the old calvinist doctrine of the "elect" explains much - either you are one, or you are not, black and white - not much compromise there.:huh:

I like your definition of compromise though ;)

SultanOfSwing Dec 5th 2017 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by macliam (Post 12394424)
I bow to your greater knowledge. I know it exists and I know what the pro and anti treaty divisions did to the republic as well. In the north it just seems to defy the normal ageing process - whereas these days it's a rarity for such tribalism to rear its head down south (though use of the term "blueshirt" to describe Fine Gael shows it still exists).:sneaky:

I've also heard the slightly derisive term 'West Brit' being used to describe certain overly-anglophilic Irishmen :D

Originally Posted by macliam (Post 12394424)
I listened to various DUP spokesmen on the radio today - and a bullsh*t button was really necessary. I guess the old calvinist doctrine of the "elect" explains much - either you are one, or you are not, black and white - not much compromise there.:huh:

I like your definition of compromise though ;)

Compromise is almost as dirty a word for the DUP as equality is.

macliam Dec 5th 2017 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12394448)
I've also heard the slightly derisive term 'West Brit' being used to describe certain overly-anglophilic Irishmen :D

Compromise is almost as dirty a word for the DUP as equality is.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...lge_poster.png
Times don't change much, eh SoS?;)

I'm guilty of using the term West Brit, though Jackeen is my fave :lol:

BUT, in my case, it's aimed squarely at Dubliners (especially Southsiders), for whom everyone else was (and continues to be) a "Culchie". West Brit is because they're just across the sea from the former masters they often ape - Jackeen is maybe worse as it suggests "wrapped in the Union Jack"...:sneaky:

Cape Blue Dec 5th 2017 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by Annetje (Post 12394325)
And an open border will ?

No, it won't, which is why it has to be a hard border.

Cape Blue Dec 5th 2017 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 12394386)

I've no idea what you are trying to say - that we can stop uncontrolled immigration by playing football?

SultanOfSwing Dec 5th 2017 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by macliam (Post 12394463)
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...lge_poster.png
Times don't change much, eh SoS?;)

I'm guilty of using the term West Brit, though Jackeen is my fave :lol:

BUT, in my case, it's aimed squarely at Dubliners (especially Southsiders), for whom everyone else was (and continues to be) a "Culchie". West Brit is because they're just across the sea from the former masters they often ape - Jackeen is maybe worse as it suggests "wrapped in the Union Jack"...:sneaky:

Yeah, it does seem to be centered around Dublin, right enough.

Of course, I'm familiar with 'culchies'. rRound my way you were one if you said 'hey' at the end of every sentence, couldn't see the H&W cranes from your town and you had a certain liking for sheep.

macliam Dec 5th 2017 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12394486)
Yeah, it does seem to be centered around Dublin, right enough.

Of course, I'm familiar with 'culchies'. rRound my way you were one if you said 'hey' at the end of every sentence, couldn't see the H&W cranes from your town and you had a certain liking for sheep.

Aye, but you'd be a culchie to a jackeen! You made me remember something I was sent a while back .

Luckily I escaped without the nasal twang that my own dear City provides, probably beaten out of me by the Brothers - "The word "gowl" does not exist in Latin, sham.." :blink:
- but "cmereiwantcha" caused a few strange looks in London.;)

Best stop now, or we'll be as popular as a Taig on the 12th!:sneaky: