British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

scrubbedexpat0105 Dec 5th 2017 1:02 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12394256)
Does anyone have the remotest idea anymore what brexit means .?

Brexit! Brexit means Brexit!

Lion in Winter Dec 5th 2017 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by 007Steve (Post 12394252)
No Annetje..., I was waiting for Arlene to say if that was OK.with her...

Incidentally, why's it now called Northern Ireland? I distinctly recall it used to be Ulster.... I was recommended to buy Ulster Bacon, told that Ulster Linen was a 1st class Christmas gift, & could support the football team – the Ulster XI.
Then, later on, some red-faced guy in a dog-collar screamed from the TV in apoplexy that Ulster said No;- things had been that way since 16.. ohh something ...Never, Never, Never he used to yell...
I do have it right don't I?... the whole obscenity over there was founded by royalty with his mate religion?

Excuse me while I go & lay down. I'm getting Republican urges again.....

I thought that some parts of Ulster are in the Republic, while some are in Northern Ireland. So the terms are not interchangeable.

I'm sure someone with more knowledge will be along to give us the full scoop.

EMR Dec 5th 2017 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by Watchpost (Post 12394287)

That's what I keep hearing and reading, still none the wiser.

Lion in Winter Dec 5th 2017 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by Watchpost (Post 12394287)

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12394297)

I always thought it sounded like this stuff. Turns out I was more accurate than I knew.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3766/1...deb3ef94_o.jpg

Novocastrian Dec 5th 2017 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12394297)

Apparently brexit now means regulatory alignment, which in turn means EFTA/EEA.

Plus ca change...

I hate people who say I told you so, but.....

SultanOfSwing Dec 5th 2017 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12394289)
I thought that some parts of Ulster are in the Republic, while some are in Northern Ireland. So the terms are not interchangeable.

I'm sure someone with more knowledge will be along to give us the full scoop.

You're quite right. The province of Ulster is made up of nine traditional counties, of which three counties (Cavan, Donegal and Monaghan) are part of the Republic of Ireland.

Cape Blue Dec 5th 2017 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12394043)
EFTA/EEA membership solves everyone's problems. Less money sent to the EU every week, the UK won't have to nominate an EU Commissioner, and we won't need our 73 MEPs (and Farage still won't get elected as a UK MP).

We'll no longer be an EU member, but we'll keep the customs union and single market. :p

It does not solve uncontrolled immigration.

Annetje Dec 5th 2017 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12394324)

And an open border will ?

Cape Blue Dec 5th 2017 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12393984)
Do you consider pensions to be a gravy train? I hope you will not be accepting yours then.

Equally, of course, I expect you worked for yours whilst Flange had the second worst record in the entire Union for showing up to work - 40% of the time I believe. If you showed up to work 40% of the time, would you expect a pension? Or even a salary? Well Flange does.

The hypocrisy of taking first 20 years or so of salary and then a whopping great pension, all the while claming that the EU is a gravy train and should be abolished :rofl: Nuff said.

When the person is getting a £1M pot for a relatively short employment, far more than anyone in the UK could expect in the same situation, let alone those MEPs etc from poorer countries whose pensions etc are comparatively even more, then yes - it's a gravy train.

I don't know who "Flange" is.

jimenato Dec 5th 2017 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12394324)

Originally Posted by Annetje (Post 12394325)
And an open border will ?

Must ask any leavers, were you happy with the proposed (now rejected) solution for the Republic/NI border - one which would have allowed free movement of people?

macliam Dec 5th 2017 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by 007Steve (Post 12394252)
No Annetje..., I was waiting for Arlene to say if that was OK.with her...

Incidentally, why's it now called Northern Ireland? I distinctly recall it used to be Ulster.... I was recommended to buy Ulster Bacon, told that Ulster Linen was a 1st class Christmas gift, & could support the football team – the Ulster XI.
Then, later on, some red-faced guy in a dog-collar screamed from the TV in apoplexy that Ulster said No;- things had been that way since 16.. ohh something ...Never, Never, Never he used to yell...
I do have it right don't I?... the whole obscenity over there was founded by royalty with his mate religion?

Excuse me while I go & lay down. I'm getting Republican urges again.....

Now, now ....... nothing wrong with republican feelings ;)

Descriptions of products as being "Ulster so & so" are OK, because they are produced in the province of Ulster. Equally, the people who live there are Ustermen. However, politically the statelet is "Northern Ireland" because the border was drawn around those counties that had a Protestant majority and were therefore thought likely to support the union. Only six of the nine counties of the ancient province of Ulster were thus included and Donegal, Cavan and Monaghan were excluded and are part of the republic, which, to the EXTREME annoyance of unionists is officially recognized as Ireland (or Éire if you must).

Those of a unionist persuasion chose to ignore these "anomalies" and still call the place "Ulster" (Maybe because "Northern Ireland will fight and Northern Ireland will be right!" doesn't really cut it as a chant). But now, we live in a more enlightened age...... so the political use of Ulster is less common - Tiocfaidh ár lá:sneaky:

Call me cynical, but I don't think the DUP will accept anything that Dublin likes - so I'd advise Leo to express extreme annoyance at anything proposed and let the wee orange mob think they've won a great victory.

macliam Dec 5th 2017 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 12394358)
Must ask any leavers, were you happy with the proposed (now rejected) solution for the Republic/NI border - one which would have allowed free movement of people?

Free movement of people is covered by the Common Travel Area bilateral agreement, which predates the EU, EEC, EFTA or any other European cooperation projects.

SultanOfSwing Dec 5th 2017 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by macliam (Post 12394361)
Now, now ....... nothing wrong with republican feelings ;)

Descriptions of products as being "Ulster so & so" are OK, because they are produced in the province of Ulster. Equally, the people who live there are Ustermen. However, politically the statelet is "Northern Ireland" because the border was drawn around those counties that had a Protestant majority and were therefore thought likely to support the union. Only six of the nine counties of the ancient province of Ulster were thus included and Donegal, Cavan and Monaghan were excluded and are part of the republic, which, to the EXTREME annoyance of unionists is officially recognized as Ireland (or Éire if you must).

Those of a unionist persuasion chose to ignore these "anomalies" and still call the place "Ulster" (Maybe because "Northern Ireland will fight and Northern Ireland will be right!" doesn't really cut it as a chant). But now, we live in a more enlightened age...... so the political use of Ulster is less common - Tiocfaidh ár lá:sneaky:

Call me cynical, but I don't think the DUP will accept anything that Dublin likes - so I'd advise Leo to express extreme annoyance at anything proposed and let the wee orange mob think they've won a great victory.

Funny thing is, I think only four of the six counties had a protestant majority even in 1921. I don't think Tyrone of Fermanagh ever had one outside of maybe some of the actual towns. Both counties are super-rural anyway, so I suppose it never really made much difference, though for some reason Fermanagh used to vote UUP for quite a while. I think that was the farmers.

Nowadays though, only Antrim and Down have any kind of a protestant majority, and even that's a shaky one. Interesting times ahead for Arlene and co.

DaveLovesDee Dec 5th 2017 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by macliam (Post 12394364)
Free movement of people is covered by the Common Travel Area bilateral agreement, which predates the EU, EEC, EFTA or any other European cooperation projects.

And what's to stop EU nationals using free movement to move to Ireland, then use the CTA to move to NI and the rest of the UK?

Annetje Dec 5th 2017 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12394368)
And what's to stop EU nationals using free movement to move to Ireland, then use the CTA to move to NI and the rest of the UK?

That's easy ... May's invisible border :nod: