British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Vexcore Dec 3rd 2017 6:53 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 
Too many lies, May is gonna go soon.. she's putting the UK to shame.

macliam Dec 3rd 2017 7:03 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Vexcore (Post 12393382)
As Nigel Farage said we do not have to do anything about the border in Ireland. We can leave it just as it is, if the ROI have a problem with that THEY will have to install one and that will be THEIR CHOICE. I hope Theresa May develops a backbone and tells the EEC we will not pay any money, we will walk away, take our fisheries on 19/3/2019 and only boats with a licence FROM US will be allowed to fish in our waters and we will start negotiating deals with other countries NOW. Germany are in the S- - t, have no government and their car manufacturers are desperate fir some sort of agreement with us. We have a lot of financial clout and should use it, NOW.

Agree/Disagree?

Thank you for your assessment of international politics. Now get back under the bridge.....

DaveLovesDee Dec 3rd 2017 7:22 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Vexcore (Post 12393382)
As Nigel Farage said we do not have to do anything about the border in Ireland. We can leave it just as it is, if the ROI have a problem with that THEY will have to install one and that will be THEIR CHOICE.

As an EU MEP, Farage should be fully aware that any external EU border with a non-EU country has to have border controls. Therefore, Ireland's side of the border has to be a hard border.

The UK government can do whatever it wants with the NI side of the border.

morpeth Dec 3rd 2017 7:30 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12393405)
Morpeth it is not EU law(s) it is EU law per se that was incorporated into UK law by statute.
It is a principle of EU membership that EU law is supreme over national
law.
Much of the law was useful and will be kept but it will be a decision of the UK government, not another organisation.

I don't think it is "emotion" or "patriotism" for a countries own national law to be supreme except from on certain specific matters in an agreement and which can be changed if necessary by the government of the time.

Others disagree --so will not argue further.

I see your point. I am just asking how bad is the legal situation to justify the turmoil and economic cost of Brexit ?

amideislas Dec 3rd 2017 7:32 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Vexcore (Post 12393406)
Too many lies, May is gonna go soon.. she's putting the UK to shame.

Actually, there are many to blame for the UK's shame. Politicians, British press, gullible voters...

007Steve Dec 3rd 2017 7:43 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12393359)
ood point - GOD SAVE THE QUEEN

:goodpost:

:blink:.... sigh. Thank you anyway.

Garbatellamike Dec 3rd 2017 7:53 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by 007Steve (Post 12393443)
:blink:.... sigh. Thank you anyway.

no worries ;)

007Steve Dec 3rd 2017 8:15 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 
....from-today's-tory-party-house-magazine.
Tory rebels warned 'there will be no Brexit without Theresa May' ahead of crucial EU meeting
.... civil war breaking out? She'd better wear a stab-proof vest if she fails tomorrow. :nod:

Bipat Dec 3rd 2017 8:27 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by morpeth (Post 12393432)
I see your point. I am just asking how bad is the legal situation to justify the turmoil and economic cost of Brexit ?

It is just one of the reasons for voting to leave. There are many who think it will be beneficial for the economic future of the UK.

morpeth Dec 3rd 2017 8:54 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12393464)
It is just one of the reasons for voting to leave. There are many who think it will be beneficial for the economic future of the UK.

I agree quite a few reasons people had for voting to leave.

I find it fascinating anyone who thinks it will be overall beneficial to reduce preferential benefits for capital, trade, residency , etc to/with the EU market. The only benefit I can see is possibly some less competition for some low paying jobs ( maybe) or incredible benefits offered to maintain or build London's financial services even further. Except for maybe USA, Canada or Australia, I can't see why a country would do give a trade benefit to the UK that they wouldn't turn around and offer it to the bigger market, the EU.

Will be interesting to watch- and poll those who voted for Brexit ten years later about the results.

Bipat Dec 3rd 2017 9:10 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by morpeth (Post 12393478)
I agree quite a few reasons people had for voting to leave.

I find it fascinating anyone who thinks it will be overall beneficial to reduce preferential benefits for capital, trade, residency , etc to/with the EU market. The only benefit I can see is possibly some less competition for some low paying jobs ( maybe) or incredible benefits offered to maintain or build London's financial services even further. Except for maybe USA, Canada or Australia, I can't see why a country would do give a trade benefit to the UK that they wouldn't turn around and offer it to the bigger market, the EU.

Will be interesting to watch- and poll those who voted for Brexit ten years later about the results.

By 2020 the predicted top world economies do not include--Canada and Australia. Trading with the UK does not prevent countries trading also with the EU! Yes it will be interesting to see the outcome in ten years time.

Annetje Dec 3rd 2017 9:25 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Vexcore (Post 12393382)
As Nigel Farage said we do not have to do anything about the border in Ireland. We can leave it just as it is, if the ROI have a problem with that THEY will have to install one and that will be THEIR CHOICE. I hope Theresa May develops a backbone and tells the EEC we will not pay any money, we will walk away, take our fisheries on 19/3/2019 and only boats with a licence FROM US will be allowed to fish in our waters and we will start negotiating deals with other countries NOW. Germany are in the S- - t, have no government and their car manufacturers are desperate fir some sort of agreement with us. We have a lot of financial clout and should use it, NOW.

Agree/Disagree?

This Farage ...

The Liberal Democrat Brexit spokesman Tom Brake said: “Nigel Farage is a shameless hypocrite. He rails against the so-called EU gravy train, but is happy to cash in when it suits him.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...sion?CMP=fb_gu

;)

Novocastrian Dec 3rd 2017 9:47 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Annetje (Post 12393497)
This Farage ...

The Liberal Democrat Brexit spokesman Tom Brake said: “Nigel Farage is a shameless hypocrite. He rails against the so-called EU gravy train, but is happy to cash in when it suits him.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...sion?CMP=fb_gu

;)

I also wonder if anyone at all remembers that Farage, BoJo and Gove all claimed that the single market and the customs union weren't at risk in the Brexit thingy?

These stupid "red lines" were first made public when Theresa May of Bogner laid them down in her infamous Lancaster House speech.

Brexit means EFTA, get over it. (Not directed at you Annetje).

morpeth Dec 3rd 2017 11:08 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12393487)
By 2020 the predicted top world economies do not include--Canada and Australia. Trading with the UK does not prevent countries trading also with the EU! Yes it will be interesting to see the outcome in ten years time.

My only point about trade agreements has always been any trade agreement Britain secures the EU will seek similar advantages and as a larger trading partner will probably get them- so a zero sum game for Britain : equal terms against EU in foreign trade, but Britain one would think losing some advantages in trade with Europe. Still waiting to hear how Brexit will strengthen the overall economy.

I only mention Canada ,Australia and USA as possible exceptions since an adroit UK government could use longstanding political/military/cultural relationship to secure preferential treatment. However at least judging fro press reports it doesn't seem UK has a top notch negotiating team or even a clear strategyto make Brexit a success.

Bipat Dec 3rd 2017 11:36 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by morpeth (Post 12393535)
My only point about trade agreements has always been any trade agreement Britain secures the EU will seek similar advantages and as a larger trading partner will probably get them- so a zero sum game for Britain : equal terms against EU in foreign trade, but Britain one would think losing some advantages in trade with Europe. Still waiting to hear how Brexit will strengthen the overall economy.

I only mention Canada ,Australia and USA as possible exceptions since an adroit UK government could use longstanding political/military/cultural relationship to secure preferential treatment. However at least judging fro press reports it doesn't seem UK has a top notch negotiating team or even a clear strategyto make Brexit a success.

Morpeth I have pointed out to you several times that the EU has been trying to resurrect the failed free trade deal with India--three trade delegations earlier this year, yes certainly trying to get in first but no success yet.

Canada/Australia less political etc. relationship than the above. The talks going on at the present time have to be unofficial as Brexit hasn't happened yet! Sadiq Khan there at the moment, promoting post Brexit and relationships and also with Pakistan see other thread. Canada has stated that can be ready to do a deal immediately post Brexit.

Why would any country give any other country "preferential treatment", trade is for both sides to get the best deal they can.


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:13 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.