British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Former Lancastrian Sep 3rd 2016 11:26 am

re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12042676)
To suggest either side of the voters did or didn't know what they were talking about/voting for is ridiculous simply because no-one on either side can (or was able to) see into the future.

Sure no-one knows what Brexit will bring but equally (as Fred points out) no-one knows what'll happen within the EU in 2, 5 or 10 (etc) years time either so logically, both sides voted on hope & opinion.

My own guess is that the EU will change dramatically after Brexit whether Junkers & the others like it or not....... And I'd further guess they'll be other countries exiting the EU in the next few years as well.

As for blaming one side or the other for the result, I rather think both sides presented very little if any truth & an awful lot of propaganda, BS & lies with the Project Fear campaign well & truly in the lead in that regard......... & I think the majority of 'undecided' voters saw through that & decided to vote out.

Whatever the reasons, it doesn't alter the result so let's hope for an amicable divorce & reasonably fair settlement for all concerned because no matter how much everyone argues the toss, it's not going to change anything at all because it's now in the hands of the politicians & civil servants.

Some will argue that the vote was not for the future years but Cameron called the vote so he could win the election and having the vote after it. How did that work out Dave?
Im sure being in the EU has some good and bad points the same as being out of the EU will have some good or bad points and time will tell.

mfesharne Sep 3rd 2016 11:46 am

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12042684)
Some will argue that the vote was not for the future years but Cameron called the vote so he could win the election and having the vote after it. How did that work out Dave?
Im sure being in the EU has some good and bad points the same as being out of the EU will have some good or bad points and time will tell.

I certainly think DC made some really bad decisions not only about Brexit but also about the Scottish referendum & his negotiation attempt prior to the referendum as well.

I can also see some logic in the argument that having promised the referendum in not only the run up to this last GE but also the previous one AND that he was under increasing pressure from the rise in popularity of UKIP & he hoped to take the wind out of their sails.

Either way, the die is cast now so I'd rather see them get on with it asap so it can be done and dusted sooner rather than later.

Red Eric Sep 3rd 2016 11:52 am

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12042676)
My own guess is that the EU will change dramatically after Brexit whether Junkers & the others like it or not.......

Well Juncker (to give him his proper name) has been quite active in calling for change of various sorts so that's another rather strange thing to say.

I don't agree with his sort of politics one little bit in the main but he has had some things of merit to say about the EU, as well as being a big improvement on his predecessor in both word and deed so far.

paulry Sep 3rd 2016 11:59 am

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12042412)
2% of the electorate. Win or not, it was bloody close and could easily have gone the other way. One wonders would the leave campaign have been as gracious in defeat as they are arrogant in victory?

And what do you reckon the remoaners would have been like if they had been victorious? :sneaky:

mfesharne Sep 3rd 2016 12:00 pm

Perhaps unfortunate he wasn't slightly more willing to change during the DC negotiations because if he'd been just a little more flexible on even a few things I suspect many of those 'undecided' voters I mentioned earlier would have swung the other way...

Wol Sep 3rd 2016 12:01 pm

I've had enough of this childlike posting behaviour. i'm out of here.

This thread is sounding like Fox News/Radio PyongYang.

paulry Sep 3rd 2016 12:04 pm

Yeah, nothing to see here. Just a bunch of remainers crying in their milk.

http://corneliastreetcafe.com/data/Jan6th(1).jpg

Red Eric Sep 3rd 2016 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12042697)
I can also see some logic in the argument that having promised the referendum in not only the run up to this last GE but also the previous one AND that he was under increasing pressure from the rise in popularity of UKIP & he hoped to take the wind out of their sails.

Either way, the die is cast now so I'd rather see them get on with it asap so it can be done and dusted sooner rather than later.

A lot of people say that.....

It's completely absent from this timeline, though.

Would you like to spend a few days discussing whether Cameron did or did not offer an In / Out referendum prior to the 2010 election? You can go first with some unsubstantiated references from all over the internet and when you get tired of that we could have a look at their 2010 Election Manifesto.

jimenato Sep 3rd 2016 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 12042664)
But as I said before you are absolutely sure of the directions the EU will take for generations to come.:rofl:

No of course not.

I don't know how lots of things are going to pan out. I don't know if the ship I'm on is going to sink. Doesn't mean I'll jump overboard just in case.

Former Lancastrian Sep 3rd 2016 12:32 pm

[QUOTE=SultanOfSwing;12042412]2% of the electorate. Win or not, it was bloody close and could easily have gone the other way. One wonders would the leave campaign have been as gracious in defeat as they are arrogant in victory?

Typical Liverpool fan :lol:

Losing the EPL on goal difference or 1 points is bloody close losing it by 20 points isn't close. Its how you want to manipulate the figures is what counts and turn it into a positive or negative.

United Kingdom European Union membership referendum, 2016
Votes %
Leave 17,410,742 51.89%
Remain 16,141,241 48.11%
Valid votes 33,551,983 99.92%
Invalid or blank votes 25,359 0.08%

So Leave won by over 1.3 million votes or just under 4% difference.
You are employed at X amount of salary and your boss gives you a 4% raise and you think great that will only make a small difference to my bi weekly cheque.
You are employed at XXXXXX salary and get that 4% raise are you better off financially? You got the same % raise.

So who were these 17.4 million voters who voted to leave? From some of the comments on here they were all rabid racist UKIP supporters supporting Farage.
So how come only 3.8 million voted for the UKIP in the 2015 election. Did they really pick up nearly 14 million voters?

So if not UKIP supporters who were these extra 13 million plus voters?
Sure I can see a few thousand from Liverpool or Man City supporters who were told to vote to Remain in the EU as they automatically would qualify for Champions League football every season they remain in the EU.

Is it thought that possibly some Conservative, Labour, Lib Dems and SNP voted for Brexit?

mfesharne Sep 3rd 2016 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12042719)
A lot of people say that.....

It's completely absent from this timeline, though.

Would you like to spend a few days discussing whether Cameron did or did not offer an In / Out referendum prior to the 2010 election? You can go first with some unsubstantiated references from all over the internet and when you get tired of that we could have a look at their 2010 Election Manifesto.

I'm going from memory & wasn't even living in Europe at the time (so could be wrong) but seem to remember a referendum being promised & then it being kicked into the long grass by DC........ I also seem to remember the Lib/Dumbs also promising it.

A very quick check tells me that the 2010 Tory manifesto said "A full opt-out from the Charter of Fundamental Rights, greater protection against EU encroachment & restoring national control over social and employment legislation" & he didn't appear to do very well on that either.

Whether it was promised or not, the fact is we now have a vote to leave so let's make the most of it.

Red Eric Sep 3rd 2016 12:59 pm

So it wasn't promised in 2010 then?

It's OK, you're not alone - a lot of people have difficulty admitting they were mistaken when it's pointed out to them.

mfesharne Sep 3rd 2016 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
2% of the electorate. Win or not, it was bloody close and could easily have gone the other way. One wonders would the leave campaign have been as gracious in defeat as they are arrogant in victory?

We've seen precious little of the "gracious in defeat" attitude displayed by the remainers here though hey? :)

Dick Dasterdly Sep 3rd 2016 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12042701)
Well Juncker (to give him his proper name) has been quite active in calling for change of various sorts so that's another rather strange thing to say.

I don't agree with his sort of politics one little bit in the main but he has had some things of merit to say about the EU, as well as being a big improvement on his predecessor in both word and deed so far.

Things of merit ? :unsure:

The president of the European Commission Jean-Claude Juncker said "there can be no democratic choice against the European treaties."

"When it becomes serious, you have to lie"

"I am ready to be insulted for being insufficiently democratic"

"Of course there will be transfer of Sovereignty, but would I be intelligent to draw the attention of the public to that"

"I don't think Britain needs the EU".

"The European family may well be anything but perfect"

"You can consider this carved in stone: I rule out becoming Herman Van Rompuy's successor."

"I am for secret dark debate"

Lion in Winter Sep 3rd 2016 7:10 pm

http://ichef-1.bbci.co.uk/news/624/c...2e337ed26f.jpg

"Breakfast means breakfast." At least that means something.

Brexit protest: March for Europe rallies held across UK - BBC News