Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Post EU Referendum

Post EU Referendum

Old Nov 30th 2017, 12:21 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
Monte Python - is that the EU version?
I know his brother Carlo and his cousins Zuma and Limar, who's a real sweetie!
Old Nov 30th 2017, 12:24 pm
Preparing to move again

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bipat View Post
As the numbers involved in the poll are a larger percentage of the population concerned than other polls they are possibly more accurate.

I wondered at the time how the poll was carried out.

It was titled Poll of the 'Desi' population of the UK--which includes all from the sub-continent not just Indian people.
These are the largest group of migrant origin people in the UK.

A large number of these people have small businesses in the UK and would favour leave to escape EU bureaucracy, those in 'big' business are divided in opinion see links in 'apartheid' thread.
You did NOT convince me that this was a believable poll ...

Didn't know there was an apartheid thread and why does that deserve a LOL ???
Old Nov 30th 2017, 12:26 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Annetje View Post
Talking project fear, have you seen the daily mail brainwashing anti-EU anti-immigration headlines ... not just for months but for years ?
I believe the last push was the ''Farage poster'' combined with the ''Bojo Bus''.
But as you know We Brits were not influenced by any of this but voted only because of an in depth analysis of the EU treaties , by the role of the ECJ and the knowledge that the UK economy was being hamstrung by its inability to trade with the rest off the world because the EU has not let's us for over 40 years.🦄🦄🦄
Ask any leave voter and they will confirm this 🦄🦄🦄
Old Nov 30th 2017, 12:33 pm
Preparing to move again

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR View Post
But as you know We Brits were not influenced by any of this but voted only because of an in depth analysis of the EU treaties , by the role of the ECJ and the knowledge that the UK economy was being hamstrung by its inability to trade with the rest off the world because the EU has not let's us for over 40 years.🦄🦄🦄

Old Nov 30th 2017, 12:37 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike View Post
I think both sides behaved disgracefully but I have to confess how our political class behave is always likely to disappoint me as I seem to have unrealistic aspirations about honesty and integrity.
The truth is, once the spinners saw how easily they could convince the voting public that the national economy was just like their household accounts and that it was right that they should pay to support a corrupt banking sector, they knew they would swallow any old claptrap.

Farage knew this, no wonder he was always smiling, he was pocketing thousands in EU payments to push his own obnoxious views and abusing their tolerance - yet people were queueing up to kiss his donkey!

The politicians have no respect for the electorate - and the electorate don't disappoint them.
Old Nov 30th 2017, 12:39 pm
F.orum Ape

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike View Post
Life of Brian
Ah ok. Well have certainly seen that, just didn't catch the joke, I suppose. It's a good one.
Old Nov 30th 2017, 1:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR View Post
The EU was founded 24 years ago!
Old Nov 30th 2017, 1:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

You did NOT convince me that this was a believable poll ...

Didn't know there was an apartheid thread and why does that deserve a LOL ???
Why were you not convinced?

The 'other' Post EU Referendum thread, where posts regarding an important non-EU country and (source of UK investment and job creation) are segregated.
The smilie was to indicate--that I find it humerous with all this talk of 'leaver' Xenophobia!
Old Nov 30th 2017, 1:50 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

There were people who voted for many different reasons on both Remain and Leave sides ---or didn't vote at all.

The extra money is the membership fee!

We don't know yet what the outcome of negotiations will be or which reasons for voting leave will be met or not met.
I agree with you. The time for a further referendum is after the results of the negotiations are know because people won't know until then whether their reasons for voting will have been addressed.
Old Nov 30th 2017, 1:54 pm
Preparing to move again

Why were you not convinced?

The 'other' Post EU Referendum thread, where posts regarding an important non-EU country and (source of UK investment and job creation) are segregated.
The smilie was to indicate--that I find it humerous with all this talk of 'leaver' Xenophobia!
Just because I am not convinced that a poll done by an Indian newspaper is any more accurate than a UK government poll. You believe what you want to believe but don't call it ''Proof'' ...

Extremely strange sort of humour to call a thread about India a thread about apartheid ! If I want to talk about the trade between the UK and France (and in dept like you tend to do) I would be honoured to get my own thread about it. Nothing to do with xenophobia !

I think we have discussed you obsession with non-existent ''leaver xenophobia'' before so let's just leave that one there.
Old Nov 30th 2017, 1:59 pm
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

...all this talk of 'leaver' Xenophobia!
The talk is currently about cynical manipulation of people susceptible to persuasion by the misuse of images and blatant distortion of facts, rather than an out-amd-out accusation that all Leavers are innately xenophobic. And it can hardly be denied that the public mood on almost any topic can be altered remarkably quickly, given one-sided saturation coverage. It happens frequently.
Old Nov 30th 2017, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

la mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on what you're prepared to defend as a legitimate means of getting one's way. For me, the Leave side very obviously overstepped boundaries and I'd have said that loud and clear even if I'd been a supporter of their ultimate aim.
Remain ran a poisonous campaign unashamedly using misinformation and disinformation while threatening everyone from the elderly to the young with everything from no care workers to unemployment to World War Three. I will not go through their toxic premonitions so don’t ask me. If you think Cameron and Corbyn did not overstep the mark then you and I have different views on the matter. This is just sour grapes on your part. Leave voters looked at the Remain lies and misinformation and saw through it. One must give them credit for that.

Two questions: do you think Cameron and Corbyn’s team ran a campaign free of threats and disinformation, and do you think Project Fear (which is what it was) was worse or better or on the same level as the Leave campaign?
Old Nov 30th 2017, 2:03 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

The talk is currently about cynical manipulation of people susceptible to persuasion by the misuse of images and blatant distortion of facts, rather than an out-amd-out accusation that all Leavers are innately xenophobic. And it can hardly be denied that the public mood on almost any topic can be altered remarkably quickly, given one-sided saturation coverage. It happens frequently.
This.
Old Nov 30th 2017, 2:04 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by la mancha View Post
Remain ran a poisonous campaign unashamedly using misinformation and disinformation while threatening everyone from the elderly to the young with everything from no care workers to unemployment to World War Three. I will not go through their toxic premonitions so don’t ask me. If you think Cameron and Corbyn did not overstep the mark then you and I have different views on the matter. This is just sour grapes on your part. Leave voters looked at the Remain lies and misinformation and saw through it. One must give them credit for that.

Two questions: do you think Cameron and Corbyn’s team ran a campaign free of threats and disinformation, and do you think Project Fear (which is what it was) was worse or better or on the same level as the Leave campaign?

Your question has been answered multiple times.
Old Nov 30th 2017, 2:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Just because I am not convinced that a poll done by an Indian newspaper is any more accurate than a UK government poll. You believe what you want to believe but don't call it ''Proof'' ...

Extremely strange sort of humour to call a thread about India a thread about apartheid ! If I want to talk about the trade between the UK and France (and in dept like you tend to do) I would be honoured to get my own thread about it. Nothing to do with xenophobia !

I think we have discussed you obsession with non-existent ''leaver xenophobia'' before so let's just leave that one there.
The UK Government didn't do a poll of these people (the largest one group of migrant origin people in the UK).
No poll is completely accurate, it is only a sample of people. However there are other indications that this group are divided in much the same way as the rest of the UK.

The posts in the other thread were removed with a sense of 'displeasure'. I was surprised that Shard's question above was not transferred.

Why not start a thread about trade with France and UK/ French relationships? I for one would be pleased to read and take part in it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.