Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Post EU Referendum

Post EU Referendum

Old Nov 28th 2017, 10:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum

Does the EU have a penalty for a NSF cheque?
Old Nov 28th 2017, 10:24 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeniB View Post
It's in the FT as well !!
Old Nov 28th 2017, 10:59 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian View Post
Who would take a cheque from Boris?

Whatever the numbers, this appears to suggest that after all the ducking and diving, the Brexit-bunch have now had to accept that there are bills to be paid. The numbers were never as important as the principle, the acceptance of the payments owed and the agreement on a mechanism.

As has been said, this isn't an upfront payment, but a commitment to honour the bills that arise - a bit like an estranged father agreeing to pay for his kids. If the UK don't want an ongoing commitment, then any upfront payment is likely to be heavy, as the EU will need to ensure it isn't "left holding the baby".....

Right, now, let's look at that non-physical border that is a border, which will not separate Ireland from the UK, except it will and which will not treat NI any different from the rest of the UK, except it will. Simple!!
Old Nov 28th 2017, 11:06 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian View Post
maybe outside the Eurozone but definitely not inside where the EU would lend the funds to the debtor to make the payment to the EU i.e. like the current Greek bailout.
Old Nov 29th 2017, 8:31 am
Banned

007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard View Post
Is this a serious question? It gets paid the same way as it does now, from general revenue. Much of the so called "bill" are existing funding obligations which are already being paid. What's being negotiated is the extent of future funding and the sum it will represent. It's the Brexit press which a portraying sound international agreements as some kind of bill/penalty.
Of course it's a serious question; - See, I've my serious expresssion on... . So, it's not from a big magic-money-tree after all? That would be some tree and have to crop abundantly. But….. I thought we wouldn’t be paying anything like that. See? I’ve this placard from Boris Johnson with ‘Go-whistle on it….And is it before or after the £350million a week we get for the NHS? I’m beginning to suspect that we’ve been told the odd careless fib or so by Johnson & Gove......
Old Nov 29th 2017, 9:16 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Originally Posted by 007Steve View Post
I’m beginning to suspect that we’ve been told the odd careless fib or so by Johnson & Gove......
You never struck me as being that slow on the uptake before
Old Nov 29th 2017, 9:28 am
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
Whatever the numbers, this appears to suggest that after all the ducking and diving, the Brexit-bunch have now had to accept that there are bills to be paid. The numbers were never as important as the principle, the acceptance of the payments owed and the agreement on a mechanism.
The principle of the final nett figure being very close to €60bn seemed to have been established pretty early on, though

Good to see that the EU are playing nice on this and have agreed to help present it in a manner that makes it appear less :
Negotiators are working on how to present the settlement as a net estimate, with the UK side pressing for an implied figure of between €40-45bn once UK receipts and other deductions are taken into account. “They have promised to cover it all, we don’t care what they say their estimate is,” said one senior EU diplomat. “We’re happy to help them present it.”
Google "UK bows to EU demands with breakthrough offer on Brexit bill " for the full FT article.

So, quite a long time after the original €60bn nett figure was raised to general guffaws and/or indignation and pooh-poohed by some members of the government, they will now agree to it.

That much was very accurately predicted in some of the more reliable of my sources.
Old Nov 29th 2017, 9:31 am
F.orum Ape

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Of course it's a serious question; - See, I've my serious expresssion on... . So, it's not from a big magic-money-tree after all? That would be some tree and have to crop abundantly. But….. I thought we wouldn’t be paying anything like that. See? I’ve this placard from Boris Johnson with ‘Go-whistle on it….And is it before or after the £350million a week we get for the NHS? I’m beginning to suspect that we’ve been told the odd careless fib or so by Johnson & Gove......
What side are you on Mr Bond?
Old Nov 29th 2017, 10:38 am
Banned

007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike View Post
You never struck me as being that slow on the uptake before
Well, it pays to be thick sometimes – but do you see my point Garbatellamike?
The people who should pay for this fiasco will have disappeared or remain below the revenue-collection-radar by the time of the bill-due date. Mostly consisting of [HUGE GENERALISATION] doddering Old G*** & unemployable layabouts with their snouts in the pensions & benefits trough, rather than the poor kids (some of whom didn’t even get a vote on this) who’ll be saddled with it over several generations.
I repeat, start docking ‘em say £15 a week from their precious payments so they can contribute – after all they wanted out - this is OUT…..

I try to be on the side of fairness Shard - we can't change what's going to happen - but at least those who had a hand in it can start paying their fair share... (pass-me-my-Walther PPK)..
Old Nov 29th 2017, 10:48 am
F.orum Ape

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Well, it pays to be thick sometimes – but do you see my point Garbatellamike?
The people who should pay for this fiasco will have disappeared or remain below the revenue-collection-radar by the time of the bill-due date. Mostly consisting of [HUGE GENERALISATION] doddering Old G*** & unemployable layabouts with their snouts in the pensions & benefits trough, rather than the poor kids (some of whom didn’t even get a vote on this) who’ll be saddled with it over several generations.
I repeat, start docking ‘em say £15 a week from their precious payments so they can contribute – after all they wanted out - this is OUT…..

I try to be on the side of fairness Shard - we can't change what's going to happen - but at least those who had a hand in it can start paying their fair share... (pass-me-my-Walther PPK)..
Complete over reaction. Nobody's going to be saddled with payments for several generations. The 'divorce bill' (as I notice BBC has started terming it) is a non-issue and something of a red herring. Government could have agreed it a year ago if it wanted to, and the numbers would have been known by both sides from day one.
Old Nov 29th 2017, 11:38 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue View Post
52% of Catholics favoured the union in 2011.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/n...-28628245.html

So it's not a given that the higher birthrate will produce a vote for integration with Ireland.
The majority in NI voted for remaining, so the sentiment towards a united Ireland can only get stronger as the brexit cock up gathers momentum.
2011 was a very different political climate to today's.
Old Nov 29th 2017, 11:45 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Complete over reaction. Nobody's going to be saddled with payments for several generations. The 'divorce bill' (as I notice BBC has started terming it) is a non-issue and something of a red herring. Government could have agreed it a year ago if it wanted to, and the numbers would have been known by both sides from day one.
I agree that all the principles etc. could have been settled before - and I think this was a source of frustration to the EU. Whilst the UK press are presenting this as a "divorce bill" and quoting numbers (as if it has to be paid upfront), the actual issue has been to reach a commitment on what the UK will and will not fund going forwards and to ensure that the EU is not left in a financial hole because of the unilateral decision of the UK to leave.

However, the actual numbers can only be estimated, since ongoing pension commitments etc. are variable. However, it is not difficult to agree that the UK will fund x% of the overall EU bill each year, even if this needs to be broken down over different categories. The problem for the UK government has been how to appear "strong" to the voters and avoid Tory EU-sceptics throwing their toys out of the pram. Obviously a "worse-case" scenario can be established ...... and (oddly) this doesn't seem to be very different to the numbers mentioned earlier.
Old Nov 29th 2017, 12:39 pm
F.orum Ape

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
I agree that all the principles etc. could have been settled before - and I think this was a source of frustration to the EU. Whilst the UK press are presenting this as a "divorce bill" and quoting numbers (as if it has to be paid upfront), the actual issue has been to reach a commitment on what the UK will and will not fund going forwards and to ensure that the EU is not left in a financial hole because of the unilateral decision of the UK to leave.

However, the actual numbers can only be estimated, since ongoing pension commitments etc. are variable. However, it is not difficult to agree that the UK will fund x% of the overall EU bill each year, even if this needs to be broken down over different categories. The problem for the UK government has been how to appear "strong" to the voters and avoid Tory EU-sceptics throwing their toys out of the pram. Obviously a "worse-case" scenario can be established ...... and (oddly) this doesn't seem to be very different to the numbers mentioned earlier.
That's why it's such a red herring, the hard Brexiters framed the settlement as 'yet another example of how the EU extorts money from the UK' and of course the Daily Mail readers lapped it up. I hope Boris is finding something to whistle about.
Old Nov 29th 2017, 1:30 pm
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

That's why it's such a red herring, the hard Brexiters framed the settlement as 'yet another example of how the EU extorts money from the UK' and of course the Daily Mail readers lapped it up. I hope Boris is finding something to whistle about.
Stems from their inability to come to terms with the fact that they "won".

They are a) so used to the 40 years of whingeing and b) so stunned by the result that they don't know how to move on from there.

Moan, moan, moan.
Old Nov 29th 2017, 1:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

la mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
Stems from their inability to come to terms with the fact that they "won".

They are a) so used to the 40 years of whingeing and b) so stunned by the result that they don't know how to move on from there.

Moan, moan, moan.
You what?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.