British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Shard Nov 28th 2017 12:50 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum

Interesting, thank you. Place tags don't show when I am using BE in my mobile. Can you speak Portuguese?

macliam Nov 28th 2017 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12390265)
Interesting, thank you. Place tags don't show when I am using BE in my mobile. Can you speak Portuguese?

I've been married 28 years and my in-laws don't speak English....... so yes!

I learned Castillian at school, plus French and Latin, so it helps...... once you get past the pronunciation it is very latin and very predictable - and the Portuguese are very forgiving of a rambling Irishman who murders their language!

Shard Nov 28th 2017 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by macliam (Post 12390272)
I've been married 28 years and my in-laws don't speak English....... so yes!

I learned Castillian at school, plus French and Latin, so it helps...... once you get past the pronunciation it is very latin and very predictable - and the Portuguese are very forgiving of a rambling Irishman who murders their language!

I tried learning it once, and am giving it another go on the Duolingo (app). I like it, especially the Brasil dialect. Makes a change from my very rocky French.

Red Eric Nov 28th 2017 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12390276)
I like it, especially the Brasil dialect.

The Brazilian variant's ok to accompany a nice choon. As a means of communication, it's abysmal, though.

macliam Nov 28th 2017 1:57 pm

I tried learning it once, and am giving it another go on the Duolingo (app). I like it, especially the Brasil dialect. Makes a change from my very rocky French.

Brazilian is quite different to continental Portuguese, some prefer the sing-song carioca accent, but I don't. It is basically the same language, but the differences are slightly greater than American English to British English and the strange pronunciation of certain consonants makes it very different in sound.

Shard Nov 28th 2017 2:12 pm

Are the differences greater than American/British English? I assumed it would be about the same shift?

SultanOfSwing Nov 28th 2017 2:13 pm

How do you rate Duolingo? I want to learn Spanish but I want to use an app or follow a program that will give me good enough conversational Spanish to actually be able to communicate with Spanish speakers I encounter day to day.

Shard Nov 28th 2017 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12390307)
How do you rate Duolingo? I want to learn Spanish but I want to use an app or follow a program that will give me good enough conversational Spanish to actually be able to communicate with Spanish speakers I encounter day to day.

I really like it. Although I think it's probably best for casual use, to get a introduction to the language and maybe a smattering of vocabulary and grammar. I haven't used it with a language that I have zero knowledge, but my son is doing that and seems to be picking it up. I would definitely recommend trying it for a month or two, especially as it is free, very easy to use and quite fun. I think tablet technology (touchscreens, audio, etc) is an an amazing resource for language learning.

007Steve Nov 28th 2017 2:35 pm

First it was the IFS, now it's the OECD

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/brexit-oecd-economic-forecast-paris-gdp-eu-european-union-a8079586.htm

... but clearly they're just making things up too.

SultanOfSwing Nov 28th 2017 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12390323)
I really like it. Although I think it's probably best for casual use, to get a introduction to the language and maybe a smattering of vocabulary and grammar. I haven't used it with a language that I have zero knowledge, but my son is doing that and seems to be picking it up. I would definitely recommend trying it for a month or two, especially as it is free, very easy to use and quite fun. I think tablet technology (touchscreens, audio, etc) is an an amazing resource for language learning.

I'll give it a go. I have some familiarity with Spanish either indirectly through words that are similar in French/Latin, or from what I've picked up talking with the Mexicans at work. Though, I suppose learning 'proper' Spanish, as in what they speak in Spain, wouldn't be as useful to me as learning conversational 'Mexican' Spanish instead.

Maybe I'll start with Duolingo and then see if the local community college has a course I can sign up for to perfect it.

DaveLovesDee Nov 28th 2017 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by 007Steve (Post 12390330)
First it was the IFS, now it's the OECD

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/brexit-oecd-economic-forecast-paris-gdp-eu-european-union-a8079586.htm

... but clearly they're just making things up too.

Link didn't work for me, but try this one.

Brexit to result in a sharp slowdown in UK economic growth, OECD predicts

Shard Nov 28th 2017 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12390337)
I'll give it a go. I have some familiarity with Spanish either indirectly through words that are similar in French/Latin, or from what I've picked up talking with the Mexicans at work. Though, I suppose learning 'proper' Spanish, as in what they speak in Spain, wouldn't be as useful to me as learning conversational 'Mexican' Spanish instead.

Maybe I'll start with Duolingo and then see if the local community college has a course I can sign up for to perfect it.

I think that's the right approach, use it to build some familiarity, and then take a more structured approach when you are ready.

SultanOfSwing Nov 28th 2017 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12390372)
I think that's the right approach, use it to build some familiarity, and then take a more structured approach when you are ready.

Cool. Being bilingual in the green industry out here, especially if I want to get into account management, is pretty useful. Plus I can have the guys test me while I'm learning as well :D

macliam Nov 28th 2017 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12390375)
Cool. Being bilingual in the green industry out here, especially if I want to get into account management, is pretty useful. Plus I can have the guys test me while I'm learning as well :D

Be sure that you're being taught what you need. My cousin, from LA, was posted to Europe as an account manager. His first meeting was in Madrid, so he walked in happy in his knowledge of Spanish from years of contact with employees - and the Spanish managers blanked him. The rest of the meeting was conducted in English.......

SultanOfSwing Nov 28th 2017 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by macliam (Post 12390497)
Be sure that you're being taught what you need. My cousin, from LA, was posted to Europe as an account manager. His first meeting was in Madrid, so he walked in happy in his knowledge of Spanish from years of contact with employees - and the Spanish managers blanked him. The rest of the meeting was conducted in English.......

Conversational Spanish should do the job. I'm not looking to be able to do much more than be able to communicate with the guys in the field if the need arises.