British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Red Eric Sep 2nd 2016 9:17 pm

re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12042430)
Should have been Iceland. Or is that a "small team mentality"? :p

Talking Portugal down now eh?

That's nice.

SultanOfSwing Sep 2nd 2016 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12042431)
I'll tell you one thing - seriously.

Never mind whether they would have been gracious in defeat, I don't think the Remain supporters would have been quite so obnoxiously gleeful and gloating. I don't know what it is about the Brexit types but they sure have got "singing to the same hymnsheet" off to a tee. Makes a bit of a mockery of their claims to independent thinking.

And look at the crap they've produced on that front - the pictures of dummies etc. Ha freaking ha. Meanwhile we go on trying to spark some sort of dialogue with the bastards and all we get is lefty remainer crybaby sore loser shit.

Thry can't even be bothered to check whether what's on their wishlists is the remotest bit connected with leaving the EU.

That's exactly what I was getting at. They saw it as a competition, something to be won for bragging rights. We saw it (well I say we, I didn't vote, but you know what I mean) as preserving the future of the UK in a world that is moving towards international cooperation rather than isolationalism and exceptionalism.

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12042434)
Talking Portugal down now eh?

That's nice.

Really just the diving twat with the plucked eyebrows. I don't care how good he is, or how supposedly nice he is in reality, that comment really rustled my Jimmys.

Red Eric Sep 2nd 2016 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12042437)
Really just the diving twat with the plucked eyebrows. I don't care how good he is, or how supposedly nice he is in reality, that comment really rustled my Jimmys.

Yeah, I know. I've had to wrestle with ny inner self after years of supporting them because of him.

But he got his come-uppance in the best possible way in the end. They won it without him and he had to feign his importance on one leg from the touchline. He wasn't actually part of the winning team.

Maybe it'll happen again for the World Cup - or maybe he'll have learnt to be a bit more likeable by then and we'll all applaud his 30 goals :scarper:

jimenato Sep 2nd 2016 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12042437)
That's exactly what I was getting at. They saw it as a competition, something to be won for bragging rights. We saw it (well I say we, I didn't vote, but you know what I mean) as preserving the future of the UK in a world that is moving towards international cooperation rather than isolationalism and exceptionalism.

Yes - I've come across that attitude.

They bang on about winning as if that's what it's all about. Anyone who has a contrary view and states it is branded a 'bad loser' like it's a game. We've seen it here tonight.

They should grow up and realise that it's all a bit more important than that.

Dick Dasterdly Sep 2nd 2016 10:03 pm

.....and so said Bill Shankly. :lol:

DaveLovesDee Sep 3rd 2016 12:38 am

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12042397)
Not the wrong side..... The WINNING side that voted to leave so you might as well learn to live with it because no matter how much the remainers whine it ain't gonna change .

:britflag:

It doesn't change the fact that the ECHR has nothing to do with the EU.

mfesharne Sep 3rd 2016 6:25 am

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 12042443)
Yes - I've come across that attitude.

They bang on about winning as if that's what it's all about. Anyone who has a contrary view and states it is branded a 'bad loser' like it's a game. We've seen it here tonight.

They should grow up and realise that it's all a bit more important than that.

Oh the irony!

jimenato Sep 3rd 2016 7:00 am

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12042587)
Oh the irony!

You're sharp this morning aren't you.;)

mfesharne Sep 3rd 2016 8:19 am

I can understand how disappointed the remainers must feel but the fact is the majority voted to leave in a democratic referendum & nothing will change that & to me at least, the country & all here needs to accept that & try to make the most of & hope for the best exit deal possible for all concerned.

(IMO) One of the most problematical periods is/will be the 'limbo period' we're in right now. Wounds are raw & we're neither properly in nor out as far as debating the subject goes.

TGA Sep 3rd 2016 8:30 am

The remoaners getting ready for the #marchforeurope in London today.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CraaUJxWcAEAsBg.jpg:large

oh dear!
https://twitter.com/hashtag/marchforeurope

DaveLovesDee Sep 3rd 2016 8:37 am

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12042626)
we're neither properly in nor out as far as debating the subject goes.

Actually, it's clear. We are currently in.

And the debate now should be what the definition of out should be.

jimenato Sep 3rd 2016 9:43 am

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12042626)
I can understand how disappointed the remainers must feel but the fact is the majority voted to leave in a democratic referendum & nothing will change that & to me at least, the country & all here needs to accept that & try to make the most of & hope for the best exit deal possible for all concerned.

(IMO) One of the most problematical periods is/will be the 'limbo period' we're in right now. Wounds are raw & we're neither properly in nor out as far as debating the subject goes.

Not disappointed - utterly sick that this country is being dragged down by a bunch of ignorant twats who a) misunderstood the issues (demonstrably in your case) and b) didn't (and still don't) know what they were voting for. It's sheer idiocy.

But it's OK - yah boo sucks - we won.

Fredbargate Sep 3rd 2016 10:56 am

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 12042647)
Not disappointed - utterly sick that this country is being dragged down by a bunch of ignorant twats who a) misunderstood the issues (demonstrably in your case) and b) didn't (and still don't) know what they were voting for. It's sheer idiocy.

But it's OK - yah boo sucks - we won.

But as I said before you are absolutely sure of the directions the EU will take for generations to come.:rofl:

Dick Dasterdly Sep 3rd 2016 11:10 am

Personally, I got the impression that very few if any Remainers fully understood what the EU was all about, most even now still taking the view it is some cosy little club that occasionally hands out a few tasty little sweeties.
Most were quite taken aback when informed who had supplied those sweeties in the first place and the terms and conditions applied.

Far From being a cosy little club, it is a dictatorial organisation in chaotic disarray which is causing ever increasing disatisfaction and unrest, as the vast majority of EU citizens are now becoming much more aware of what its devious main aims really are, and the nightmare scenario it has turned out to be, with S.Europe gradually being dragged down towards third world status with its massive unemployment problems, while E.Eu countries now beginning to believe they've jumped out of the Russian frying pan into the EU fire.
Meanwhile the countries at the centre of it all have shot themselves in the foot big time and may never fully recover from their own self inflicted damage.

The problem the EU is now facing, is that although they have been able to fool many of the people for much of the time, the cat is now well and truly out of the bag, not only in the UK, but throughout much of the Continent and unless they can shackle or gag their opposition by whatever devious means they can dream up, the people will have their say and the whole sadly misguided mega costly EU Empire building project will soon all end in tears.

mfesharne Sep 3rd 2016 11:15 am

To suggest either side of the voters did or didn't know what they were talking about/voting for is ridiculous simply because no-one on either side can (or was able to) see into the future.

Sure no-one knows what Brexit will bring but equally (as Fred points out) no-one knows what'll happen within the EU in 2, 5 or 10 (etc) years time either so logically, both sides voted on hope & opinion.

My own guess is that the EU will change dramatically after Brexit whether Junkers & the others like it or not....... And I'd further guess they'll be other countries exiting the EU in the next few years as well.

As for blaming one side or the other for the result, I rather think both sides presented very little if any truth & an awful lot of propaganda, BS & lies with the Project Fear campaign well & truly in the lead in that regard......... & I think the majority of 'undecided' voters saw through that & decided to vote out.

Whatever the reasons, it doesn't alter the result so let's hope for an amicable divorce & reasonably fair settlement for all concerned because no matter how much everyone argues the toss, it's not going to change anything at all because it's now in the hands of the politicians & civil servants.