Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Post EU Referendum

Post EU Referendum

Old Nov 26th 2017, 8:18 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by 007Steve View Post
C'mon Iano, that assumes people would buy them.... A luminary genius couldn't shift them. But this whole thing reminded me of the tale of PM Gladstone who spent his declining years trying to guess the answer to The Irish Question; unfortunately, whenever he was getting close, the Irish secretly changed the question........
No secret there, we're still doing it!

Now we're teaching you how to understand English. When you agree that talks on trade can't start until you have made substantive progress on the border, you can't then say that the border can't be settled until you start talking about trade. ...... unless, of course, you think that just repeating the mantra "There will be no hard border" and suggesting some half-baked trade-related solutions might work is making "substantive progress". (although, I understand mantras are very popular in some quarters).

Then again, when you get into bed with a party that campaigned to leave the EU in a province that voted to remain, you have a problem. Now riddle me this: "How do you have no border, yet not treat NI differently to any other part of the UK???" (Thanks to Ms.A.Foster, late of Stormont, for that question.
Old Nov 26th 2017, 8:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
Or, to put it another way, it's OK for the UK to welch on it's responsibilities, renege on agreements and leave its neighbours in the sh*t...... and the rest of the world will line up to extend the hand of friendship to an isolated ex-colonial power who have ideas above their budget.

Good luck with that.
You forgot.' Leaving the fine example of how they trade 'honestly' with their previous partners in their wake. I can see countries lining up to be treated in the same way,can't you
Old Nov 26th 2017, 8:29 pm
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas View Post
Westmonster... Again?
Yes - I notice from the link that they're touting for customers to sign up for alerts of this nature. Wonder how much Dick gets paid for passing it on?

Shouldn't think it's very likely but it would be funny if they got done for publishing content from behind the Telegraph's paywall - and without acknowledgement.
Old Nov 26th 2017, 8:36 pm
EU hoo

iano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond repute

Dick Dasterdly is a putinbot
Old Nov 26th 2017, 8:45 pm
Preparing to move again

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bipat View Post
Annetje, possibly you don't realise but what we are talking about by "ghettos" in the UK are areas where a minority of people of one religion live deliberately to separate themselves from the rest of UK society, have ther own schools etc. marry within their own group and not only refuse to mix with others but condemn other parts of society as not good. It has nothing to do with not being able to afford housing.

The majority of expats/migrants do not live in this way.

We are of the same mind! ---what I am trying to express is the view that migrants/expats those of non-EU origin as my family is--have ties to their country of origin and there is nothing wrong with this!
OK
Old Nov 27th 2017, 1:28 am
Forum Regular

daveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond repute

I get that the tug of the old country is a fact of life.
How to sort the wheat from the chaff.
If the country you came from and the country you now live in declared war, who would you side with?
Old Nov 27th 2017, 8:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daveincolchester View Post
If the country you came from and the country you now live in declared war, who would you side with?
Well if the past is anything to go by,you wouldn't get a choice. It would be assumed that you were 'hostile' to the country you now live in.. Like the Germans in the UK,sent to an internment camp on the Isle of Man.Or the Japanese in the USA ,bussed out to huge concentration camps in the desert
Old Nov 27th 2017, 8:17 am
So long...

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Do we have to support either country?

I didn't support any of our foreign adventures of the last 30 years.
Old Nov 27th 2017, 8:48 am
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
I can go back a little further than that
Old Nov 27th 2017, 8:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Do we have to support either country?

I depends where your family is! Nowadays it is not war but family matters that cause anxiety as to 'where should you be'.

For us we cancelled our return to India because of serious illness of immediate family member--then yesterday phone call, OH's elderly brother there taken ill---spent the whole night thinking what do I do!! Can't let OH travel alone ---(he is also getting elderly) but I am needed here. Fortunately brother in India recovering!
This sort of dilemma will increase as we all get even older.

(Grateful for arguing on BE --to take the mind off worries!)

Regards the last war ---read- 'The Past is Myself by Christabel Bielenberg'.
Old Nov 27th 2017, 9:18 am
F.orum Ape

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Well that's not going to happen. We're all in the EU now...oh wait...
Old Nov 27th 2017, 10:10 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
just a little???
Old Nov 27th 2017, 10:44 am
So long...

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
Originally Posted by Garbatellamike View Post
just a little???
I did think we were right to take a trip to the Falklands and South Georgia 35 years ago.
Old Nov 27th 2017, 10:54 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

I did think we were right to take a trip to the Falklands and South Georgia 35 years ago.
Agreed - My take on the rest:

Gulf War 1 - not right all about oil.

Bosnia Herzigovina - right if only to prevent more Srebrenica incidents.

Kosovo - not right to be allied to KLa terrorists who are no better than Serbs.

Afghanistan - right to destroy AQ training camps but not right to stay there.

Gulf War 2 - badly badly wrong, fake dossier, fake premise, people should go to prison.

Libya - wrong look at the state of the country now.......

Syria - badly wrong (have Clinton and Hague every been more wrong?) looks like the Ruskis, Iran and Turkey will sort out our mess here though.

Did I miss any?
Old Nov 27th 2017, 11:49 am
Preparing to move again

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike View Post
Agreed - My take on the rest:

Gulf War 1 - not right all about oil.

Bosnia Herzigovina - right if only to prevent more Srebrenica incidents.

Kosovo - not right to be allied to KLa terrorists who are no better than Serbs.

Afghanistan - right to destroy AQ training camps but not right to stay there.

Gulf War 2 - badly badly wrong, fake dossier, fake premise, people should go to prison.

Libya - wrong look at the state of the country now.......

Syria - badly wrong (have Clinton and Hague every been more wrong?) looks like the Ruskis, Iran and Turkey will sort out our mess here though.

Did I miss any?
Originally Posted by Bipat View Post
I depends where your family is! Nowadays it is not war but family matters that cause anxiety as to 'where should you be'.

(Grateful for arguing on BE --to take the mind off worries!)

Regards the last war ---read- 'The Past is Myself by Christabel Bielenberg'.
Hmmmmm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.