Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Post EU Referendum

Post EU Referendum

Old Nov 24th 2017, 11:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Annetje View Post
As usual, you didn't answer my question ...
Yes I am female---
Old Nov 24th 2017, 11:15 pm
Preparing to move again

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bipat View Post
Yes I am female---
Old Nov 25th 2017, 1:29 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue View Post
Many of these types like to disdain the US about things like healthcare, virtue-signalling about how they are better countries than the Yanks because they spend state money on it, but they neglect to mention the only reason they can afford to do so is by short-changing the defence budget and relying on the Yanks to looks after them.

Defence is not attack.

Not legally binding, just morally.
The US has defended itself into so many countries..... Strangely, we existed before Uncle Sam decided he would protect us all from ourselves.

.... and continually virtue-signalling about the suggested virtue signalling of others is just signalling the lack of virtue in your own arguments. It is pompous, dismissive verbiage. Please check back and see how many times you have used the phrase - even you might be surprised.
Old Nov 25th 2017, 7:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

You don't need to be an expert to read the link!

Quote---"I am not talking about unfettered access or unrestricted travel"--"I'm talking about movement of professionals and it has to be a two-way exchange not just one way".

In fact this is old news, it was discussed when Mrs May visited soon after the referendum. Since that time visa applications for Indian business people have been speeded up and visa restrictions for travel to India (including business visas) have been relaxed.
Yes but India isn't the world. So kicking Europeans out and letting Indians in isn't going global but supplanting one group through another. We all understand that you prefer Indians to Eastern Europeans but please don't try to sell this as going global.
Old Nov 25th 2017, 8:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Assanah View Post
Yes but India isn't the world. So kicking Europeans out and letting Indians in isn't going global but supplanting one group through another. We all understand that you prefer Indians to Eastern Europeans but please don't try to sell this as going global.
I didn't write the report or post the link!
Who is going to kick Europeans out?
Indian people already come to the UK.

Why would I prefer Indians? All my Indian relatives live happily in India.

Not "selling" anything--ask the poster who put the link. I have always said that I prefer immigration to be according to need and not based on country of origin.
Old Nov 25th 2017, 9:04 am
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

I have always said that I prefer immigration to be according to need and not based on country of origin.
The problem with that line is that it isn't a choice between one or the other and doing away with the flexible labour market in which needs can rapidly be filled could hamstring the economy.

Unless it's not done away with, of course
Old Nov 25th 2017, 9:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

You do understand what "net" contributor means? This was British money.
As that pathetic point has been 'laboured' so many times .I won't deign to answer it yet again.

I do hope you have divided it up per country within Britain,and then per county.If that makes you feel any more superior.
You may have noticed that countries like Germany and France do not bang on about their individual contributions to the EU. Maybe because the whole premise of the union was about making the 'collective' prosperous ,safe and moving forward into a better future-together.
It has been glaringly apparent from the get go that some British politicians never read the documents they signed. They saw it only in terms of gain for themselves and nothing more. You obviously see it that way as well.
Old Nov 25th 2017, 9:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian View Post
Didn't Ze Germans highly contribute to Liverpool in the 1940's but not with money
Didn't the British 'highly ' contribute to Dresden?
Old Nov 25th 2017, 9:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The UK's gross contribution to the EU is around £17 billion a year, they give some of our own money back to us for things like regional regeneration, farming subsidies etc and our net we give to the EU is around £9 billion a year.

There is zero German money given to the UK, just as there is zero money from any other EU country, we are a net contributor.
And you know that because? You are the chancellor of the exchequer. come on-own up!!!
Old Nov 25th 2017, 9:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
If Liverpool's City of Culture funding hadn't come from the EU, and the UK hadn't paid that amount to the EU, would the UK government had funded Liverpool to the same amount? I very much doubt it.

Post-Brexit, UK regions that were to receive EU funding (such as Cornwall, Wales and the North-East), those regions have already been told last year by the UK government that they'll be unlikely to receive funding from HM Treasury.

Westminster could take over funding from the EU for the 2023 UK City of Culture, and run it every 5 years. But they won't. The UK could fund the UK projects that the EU funded in the UK in regions of need, but they won't. Especially as many of those regions voted to leave, ironically.
Bang on the money there DLD The UK government has a long tradition of ignoring those parts of the country they find 'inconvenient' to remember are part of the UK.. You know-like' them oop north'
Maggie Thatcher loathed Liverpool,happy to assist in closing down those troublesome factories etc. More than delighted to send her arch rival Heseltine there ,to hopefully fade into obscurity along with the still bombed out city. You know, the one Churchill was afraid to tell the people about in WW2 in case they panicked. So the devastation was never reported ,along with the thousands of deaths.
It was a total disgrace that it was still largely devastated and neglected way into the 21st century. whilst the government could spend millions on the useless millennium dome.
Liverpool is restored to its rightful place again. because of EU money ,but also because of the will and foresight of the Duke of Westminster and his company who also contributed a considerable amount of money and talent into the restoration.

Last edited by GeniB; Nov 25th 2017 at 9:43 am.
Old Nov 25th 2017, 9:41 am
F.orum Ape

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Just to correct you ---I didn't say non-EU citizens should acquire UK citizenship---I was asking why UK citizens who lived in EU countries didn't apply for citizenship if they were so happy in their chosen countries!

The first part of your question is correct regarding loyalty to country of origin!
Because, up until June 2016, the whole premise was Pan-European citizenship.
Old Nov 25th 2017, 12:12 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
Hi - hope you're having a lovely time

While you're here, could you just clear up a little something for us? Bipat reckons you think all non EU citizens in the UK should drop any loyalty they have to their country of birth and acquire UK citizenship as a minimum step towards integration.

Is that true?
I think Bipat is confused and not for the first time.
Of course they should, only eat traditional English food like chicken tikka and support Liverpool.
Old Nov 25th 2017, 12:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by EMR View Post
I think Bipat is confused and not for the first time.
Of course they should, only eat traditional English food like chicken tikka and support Liverpool.
EMR not for the first time your memory is short---our extensive discussions were nothing to do with food etc. I pointed out that first generation migrants would have dual loyalties etc. You argued that they didn't/shouldn't. I will find the posts!!
Are you enjoying the "Far East"--where are you?
Old Nov 25th 2017, 12:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Shard View Post
Because, up until June 2016, the whole premise was Pan-European citizenship.
I was talking about Post Brexit.
Old Nov 25th 2017, 12:35 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

No the report is not "old" but the subject has been discussed at length for a year!
They cannot start official talks until Brexit actually happens unofficial talks have been going on as I said ---and as indicated in your link.

If you are really interested look at the other thread and see links to speeches given by Indian Ministers.

"Allegation"-- for heavens sake, it was a view held by some, that migrants in UK should see themselves as totally British and forget their past---hardly worth your getting so worked up over it!!
While the UK and India may or may not be involved in talks that may or may not eventually result in a trade agreement , countries who do not care about such issues will continue to out sell the UK and increase their trade not just with India but across the world.
It's omly the moronic pro brexit mindset fringe who expect migrants to see themselves as totally British .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.