Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Post EU Referendum

Post EU Referendum

Old Nov 24th 2017, 9:29 pm
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Cape Blue View Post
https://www.economist.com/blogs/grap...daily-chart-11
2006 - 11 years ago, yet the virtue-signalling Germans, French and Italians haven't stepped up to the plate and contributed properly to all our defence, leaving it to the Yanks, Brits and Poles to be the ones footing the bill - disgusting.
Virtue-signalling About what (if I've even understood what you mean by that?)?

Frankly, if the UK spending 2% of its GDP on attack means it and others going gung-ho into conflicts, I'd rather they stepped it down a bit, even more especially if otherwise it means holding hands with the Yanks.

As I said, these statements of intent are not binding. I suppose they could be made so ..........
Old Nov 24th 2017, 9:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
Hi - hope you're having a lovely time

While you're here, could you just clear up a little something for us? Bipat reckons you think all non EU citizens in the UK should drop any loyalty they have to their country of birth and (acquire UK citizenship as a minimum step towards integration. )

Is that true?
Just to correct you ---I didn't say non-EU citizens should acquire UK citizenship---I was asking why UK citizens who lived in EU countries didn't apply for citizenship if they were so happy in their chosen countries!

The first part of your question is correct regarding loyalty to country of origin!
Old Nov 24th 2017, 9:39 pm
Preparing to move again

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bipat View Post
You don't need to be an expert to read the link!

Quote---"I am not talking about unfettered access or unrestricted travel"--"I'm talking about movement of professionals and it has to be a two-way exchange not just one way".

In fact this is old news, it was discussed when Mrs May visited soon after the referendum. Since that time visa applications for Indian business people have been speeded up and visa restrictions for travel to India (including business visas) have been relaxed.
Article of Today in ''Politics home'' ... (not that old)

The senior official said India wanted to expand the benefits of being a Commonwealth country to include free movement of people and professionals.

BTW did you ever answer the question concerning your allegation ???
Old Nov 24th 2017, 9:45 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
If Liverpool's City of Culture funding hadn't come from the EU, and the UK hadn't paid that amount to the EU, would the UK government had funded Liverpool to the same amount? I very much doubt it.

Post-Brexit, UK regions that were to receive EU funding (such as Cornwall, Wales and the North-East), those regions have already been told last year by the UK government that they'll be unlikely to receive funding from HM Treasury.

Westminster could take over funding from the EU for the 2023 UK City of Culture, and run it every 5 years. But they won't. The UK could fund the UK projects that the EU funded in the UK in regions of need, but they won't. Especially as many of those regions voted to leave, ironically.
The UK taxpayer DID fund it - just via the EU and after a large haircut. The vast majority of capitals of culture that the UK has funded have been outside the UK.

You get the government you vote for, if more people want to spend hundreds of millions on these sorts of projects they will vote for a government that proposes it.
Old Nov 24th 2017, 9:46 pm
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Just to correct you ---I didn't say non-EU citizens should acquire UK citizenship---I was asking why UK citizens who lived in EU countries didn't apply for citizenship if they were so happy in their chosen countries!
Using your recollection of what remainers (ie EMR, seeing as he was the only one you could recall when pushed) allegedly said as your rationale. And pulling in some allegation about differentiation between EU and non EU migrants to boot.

Last edited by Red Eric; Nov 24th 2017 at 9:49 pm.
Old Nov 24th 2017, 9:52 pm
Preparing to move again

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

Using your recollection of what remainers (ie EMR, seeing as he was the only one you could recall when pushed) allegedly said as your rationale. And pulling in some allegation about differentiation between EU and non EU migrants to boot.
Didn't she accuse ''remainers'' in general ...
First thought she was talking to me personal, but no, I think she means all remainers.
Old Nov 24th 2017, 9:55 pm
Preparing to move again

Originally Posted by Cape Blue View Post
The UK taxpayer DID fund it - just via the EU and after a large haircut. The vast majority of capitals of culture that the UK has funded have been outside the UK.

You get the government you vote for, if more people want to spend hundreds of millions on these sorts of projects they will vote for a government that proposes it.
Just like my Golf club, using MY money to rebuild a shed for the greenkeepers
Old Nov 24th 2017, 10:01 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Virtue-signalling About what (if I've even understood what you mean by that?)?

Frankly, if the UK spending 2% of its GDP on attack means it and others going gung-ho into conflicts, I'd rather they stepped it down a bit, even more especially if otherwise it means holding hands with the Yanks.

As I said, these statements of intent are not binding. I suppose they could be made so ..........
Many of these types like to disdain the US about things like healthcare, virtue-signalling about how they are better countries than the Yanks because they spend state money on it, but they neglect to mention the only reason they can afford to do so is by short-changing the defence budget and relying on the Yanks to looks after them.

Defence is not attack.

Not legally binding, just morally.
Old Nov 24th 2017, 10:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Annetje View Post
Article of Today in ''Politics home'' ... (not that old)

The senior official said India wanted to expand the benefits of being a Commonwealth country to include free movement of people and professionals.

BTW did you ever answer the question concerning your allegation ???
Old news in that it has been discussed since the visit of Mrs May immediately after the referendum result.
He qualified his mention of free movement by the statement above.
I hope the High Commissioner was correctly reported as he has stated very positive views of Brexit in the past---see other thread.

(He obviously cannot discuss the unofficial talks that take place as Brexit has not yet happened).

"Allegation"---I discussed this matter in the past about integration etc.with other posters as I said I am not going to trawl through multiple posts to find evidence. If you don't believe me --too bad!
Old Nov 24th 2017, 10:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Didn't she accuse ''remainers'' in general ...
First thought she was talking to me personal, but no, I think she means all remainers.
"She" was not referring to you at all. Most of my 'arguments' have been with 'remainers' obviously as I voted leave.

The specific topic of integration of non-EU migrants took place some time ago.

Are you really saying that both sides don't generalise?? Countless descriptions of "Brexiters" as this or that including by yourself.
Old Nov 24th 2017, 10:49 pm
Preparing to move again

Old news in that it has been discussed since the visit of Mrs May immediately after the referendum result.
He qualified his mention of free movement by the statement above.
I hope the High Commissioner was correctly reported as he has stated very positive views of Brexit in the past---see other thread.

(He obviously cannot discuss the unofficial talks that take place as Brexit has not yet happened).

"Allegation"---I discussed this matter in the past about integration etc.with other posters as I said I am not going to trawl through multiple posts to find evidence. If you don't believe me --too bad!
He also warned an agreement may not be in place until 2030 as he admitted the two countries are yet to begin talks about a post-Brexit pact.

Same article in politics home (sorry for whatever reason can't seem to give the link)
NOT old news, this interview happened a few days ago.

Allegation NEVER MIND
Old Nov 24th 2017, 10:50 pm
Preparing to move again

"She" was not referring to you at all. Most of my 'arguments' have been with 'remainers' obviously as I voted leave.

The specific topic of integration of non-EU migrants took place some time ago.

Are you really saying that both sides don't generalise?? Countless descriptions of "Brexiters" as this or that including by yourself.
You are not a ''She'' ?
Old Nov 24th 2017, 10:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You are not a ''She'' ?
I think it was my mother who said it was rude not to give a name!
Old Nov 24th 2017, 11:00 pm
Preparing to move again

I think it was my mother who said it was rude not to give a name!
As usual, you didn't answer my question ...
Old Nov 24th 2017, 11:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

He also warned an agreement may not be in place until 2030 as he admitted the two countries are yet to begin talks about a post-Brexit pact.

Same article in politics home (sorry for whatever reason can't seem to give the link)
NOT old news, this interview happened a few days ago.

Allegation NEVER MIND
No the report is not "old" but the subject has been discussed at length for a year!
They cannot start official talks until Brexit actually happens unofficial talks have been going on as I said ---and as indicated in your link.

If you are really interested look at the other thread and see links to speeches given by Indian Ministers.

"Allegation"-- for heavens sake, it was a view held by some, that migrants in UK should see themselves as totally British and forget their past---hardly worth your getting so worked up over it!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.