Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Post EU Referendum

Post EU Referendum

Old Nov 24th 2017, 7:44 am
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Why are people indignant that they cannot share in the benefits of the EU after leaving the EU?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...als-of-culture

It would have been worth millions to one of these British cities. But now they are no longer eligible - and some wish to moan about it.
Perhaps they could take their complaint to the ECJ?
Old Nov 24th 2017, 8:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Why are people indignant that they cannot share in the benefits of the EU after leaving the EU?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...als-of-culture

It would have been worth millions to one of these British cities. But now they are no longer eligible - and some wish to moan about it.
It already was worth millions,nay at least a billion to Liverpool in monies given for the regeneration of that city-a fact the government failed to mention in its 'dissing' of the EU.pre- Brexit. Is it the press moaning though? or actual city councils? It would seem patently obvious that you can no longer enter a contest when you have disqualified yourself
Old Nov 24th 2017, 8:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bipat View Post
Not mixing up--you are assuming a difference and proving my point.
Many of what you call "migrants" come without any intention of spending their entire lives in the UK, but end up staying, many go 'home', Just as I presume British going to other countries do the same.

As I said above that those UK expats/migrants to EU countries obviously are concerned with post Brexit arrangements but as many posters on here go on and on about how wonderful are the countries they are 'expat-ing' in compared with the UK, why not become citizens?
What 'point' are you (repeatedly ) trying to make ? I was discussing Brexit here,and what it would mean to British ex-pats living and working in EU countries as per agreements made.between Britain and the EU. That has nothing whatsoever to do with migrants from any other region,or any other ethnicity,who have settled in any other region or country. What is so hard to understand about that ?
Old Nov 24th 2017, 8:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Novocastrian View Post
Look, can we all just agree that the UK is f***ed if the present government stays in power?

They are incoherent and incompetent and after 17 months, still haven't a clue about the "best possible deal". Except as a pathetic slogan designed to hide and confuse how f***king incompetent they really are.

I live for half the year in the UK, unlike most of the posters on this thread, so have a direct interest in the UK's future.

It's dire. Very dire.
I feel for you. My frustration with them is also mega,and I no longer live there.
It is going to be up to the ordinary citizen to get themselves involved and (correctly) informed.Maybe drop ancient loyalties to non functioning parties and get out and vote for change. i don't think its a coincidence that politics isn't taught in most schools.Keep the people ignorant and then you can treat them like sheep. That was brought quite forcefully home to me once when I was quite young and discussing politics in NL with some ex-pats from London. When I said I came originally from Manchester ,they scoffed and said 'well of course voting Labour all your life will have coloured your view' I was astounded First time I had realised that that was a' given'.if you came from the North. For the record I have never voted labour,neither has any member of my family.but thats not to say I wouldn't. i don't treat politics like football clubs.. loyalty to one for life.That attitude has left us with a north/south divide as well as a rich/poor one.Its medieval and holds the country back.

No wonder the powers that be have been pumping out programme after programme on TV that has some content about WW2 in it. Soften up the people to accept the continued austerity to come.?
Old Nov 24th 2017, 8:43 am
Preparing to move again

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

Not going to trawl through the posts! I was speaking generally not just this thread.
I think EMR is the most prolific! Where is he?? I have been expecting him to be 'shouting down' my above posts!
I'm sorry Bipat but you cannot go around accusing people and then not bother to back up your accusation.
I'm pretty sure remainers are NOT demanding that migrants forget their country of origin and have never noticed EMR saying so.
I think you are confusing remainers and brexiteers here !

So generally, any proof of your accusation ?????
Old Nov 24th 2017, 8:56 am
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Annetje View Post
I'm sorry Bipat but you cannot go around accusing people and then not bother to back up your accusation.
I'm pretty sure remainers are NOT demanding that migrants forget their country of origin and have never noticed EMR saying so.
I think you are confusing remainers and brexiteers here !

So generally, any proof of your accusation ?????

It's the magic internet eraser at work again.

Amazing how many people distinctly remember something and can't for the life of them relocate it when questioned. You'd have thought they'd locate it before chucking out the accusation, wouldn't you?
Old Nov 24th 2017, 9:16 am
EU hoo

iano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond repute

Iain Stewart, the Conservative MP for Milton Keynes South, said it seemed “a very bitter decision” by the commission as “we are not turning our backs on Europe, yet this looks like they are turning their backs on us”.
The Tory MP is absolutely right; we want a new deep and special relationship to replace the old deep and special relationship, so why the hell are they punishing us ?

Old Nov 24th 2017, 9:22 am
Who - me?

I think EMR is the most prolific! Where is he?? I have been expecting him to be 'shouting down' my above posts!
You're missing him, aren't you?

Leave him alone - we's earned a break.
Old Nov 24th 2017, 9:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post

It's the magic internet eraser at work again.

Amazing how many people distinctly remember something and can't for the life of them relocate it when questioned. You'd have thought they'd locate it before chucking out the accusation, wouldn't you?

I am not making an "accusation" just remembering many previous discussions on --immigration--Muslims--integration etc, when others (especially EMR) have argued that non-EU people coming to the UK should not think back to their country of origin but throw themselves totally into 'British' life etc.

My point here is that the views regarding EU citizens are different.
Old Nov 24th 2017, 9:45 am
Who - me?

Even if that were true, you're trying to attribute common attitudes to posters on here using one of us as a bell-weather?

I have never suggested that immigrants from anywhere should do anything other than lead their own lives as they see fit. And I have argued strenuously against just that kind of attitude on more than one occasion. So have a number of other posters who immediately spring to mind (chiefly remainers, as it happens).
Old Nov 24th 2017, 9:55 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Even if that were true, you're trying to attribute common attitudes to posters on here using one of us as a bell-weather?

I have never suggested that immigrants from anywhere should do anything other than lead their own lives as they see fit. And I have argued strenuously against just that kind of attitude on more than one occasion. So have a number of other posters who immediately spring to mind (chiefly remainers, as it happens).
Absolutely. Bipat has got this wrong by 180 degrees.

It tends to be Brexiteers who demand that 'foreigners' forget their roots and become British - a prime example being Norman Tebbit and his cricket test.

ETA - in fact I've just had to go back to check that she actually said it!
Old Nov 24th 2017, 10:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Well ---attributing common attitudes---isn't that what happens all the time here---"Brexiters" are all uneducated/unintelligent/xenophobic/ etc. etc.

"Remainers" are all that is good and sensible!

(I was referring to those that I had argued with on this Forum--not the entire country---I have never met Norman Tebbit!!)

I did not mention yourself. "Chiefly remainers"---not all then!

Last edited by Bipat; Nov 24th 2017 at 10:13 am.
Old Nov 24th 2017, 10:07 am
BE Forum Addict

la mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeniB View Post
Did you see the news tonight surrounding the budget.? Did you hear the comments made by senior officials. ? 10 yRS before there can be any hope of even returning to pre.recession figures. Peoples wages frozen. The UK in the worst economic mess since the 1950's... Where are you getting your personal economic miracle from?
And this is life within the confines of the EU.
Old Nov 24th 2017, 10:10 am
Who - me?

Well ---attributing common attitudes---isn't that what happens all the time here---"Brexiters" are all uneducated/unintelligent/xenophobic/ etc. etc.

"Remainers" are all that is good and sensible!
You're doing it again ......

"Chiefly remainers"---not all then!
I think you'll find that "chiefly" means not exclusively, rather than not all.
Old Nov 24th 2017, 10:15 am
EU hoo

iano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by la mancha View Post
And this is life within the confines of the EU.
S'right, manch. Only another year or so until the shackles are finally unshackled.

Don't know about you, but I'm not remotely interested in any transition period either, it will only prolong the economic pain and suffering.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.