British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Lion in Winter Sep 2nd 2016 8:16 pm

re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12042402)
Brutal :D

I had to go to school in the shadow of The Bridge for a while. And there was that god awful song. TIO holds no terrors for me.

Lion in Winter Sep 2nd 2016 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12042406)
Neither side knows the future & the vote was taken on opinion but whether the remainers like it or not, you can't get away from the fact that 1269501 more people were of the opinion that leave was the better option.

So that's what must happen.

Some vast percentage of the country thinks that Strictly Come Dancing is a good option. That doesn't make it so.

The electorate reserves the right to change its mind at a future general election, of which there will be at least one and maybe two before any Brexit happens. I suspect that what you are going to get will not resemble anyrhing much that you thought you were voting for

SultanOfSwing Sep 2nd 2016 8:26 pm

Neither side knows the future & the vote was taken on opinion but whether the remainers like it or not, you can't get away from the fact that 1269501 more people were of the opinion that leave was the better option.

2% of the electorate. Win or not, it was bloody close and could easily have gone the other way. One wonders would the leave campaign have been as gracious in defeat as they are arrogant in victory?

So that's what must happen.

Not really. These kind of votes are not in any way binding, otherwise that ship would have been called Boaty McBoatface.

It's advisory. Maybe it would be political suicide for May not to invoke article 50 but nothing says she has to, there is no legal precedent whatsoever for Parliament to listen to this referendum.

Similarly, had the vote ended up in favour of remain, there would have been nothing to stop a future government going rogue and just leaving anyway.

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12042407)
I had to go to school in the shadow of The Bridge for a while. And there was that god awful song. TIO holds no terrors for me.

Nobody should have to grow up like that.

mfesharne Sep 2nd 2016 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12042411)
Some vast percentage of the country thinks that Strictly Come Dancing is a good option. That doesn't make it so.

The electorate reserves the right to change its mind at a future general election, of which there will be at least one and maybe two before any Brexit happens. I suspect that what you are going to get will not resemble anyrhing much that you thought you were voting for

You can suspect all you like but that doesn't alter the fact that the majority voted to leave & that's exactly what will happen.

The remainers do of course have the democratic right to petition their elected representatives for a rejoin referendum after the Brexit is complete & I wish them luck with that......... Especially as it took several decades to get this referendum but hey, go for it anyway! :eek:

Lion in Winter Sep 2nd 2016 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12042413)
You can suspect all you like but that doesn't alter the fact that the majority voted to leave & that's exactly what will happen.

The remainers do of course have the democratic right to petition their elected representatives for a rejoin referendum after the Brexit is complete & I wish them luck with that......... Especially as it took several decades to get this referendum but hey, go for it anyway! :eek:

How do you know that's exactly what will happen? Nobody else seems to yet.

mfesharne Sep 2nd 2016 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12042412)
2% of the electorate. Win or not, it was bloody close and could easily have gone the other way. One wonders would the leave campaign have been as gracious in defeat as they are arrogant in victory?

Forget percentages.

The rules are a majority of even 1 is sufficient to win the vote & in this case it was one million, two hundred & sixty nine thousand, five hundred more than one that won the vote.

The real reason it didn't go the other way was that Junkers & his mob of unelected dictators refused to give anything away.

Had they been prepared to bend even just a little, the UK would have voted to stay but in their arrogance, they chose not to.

It's over, it's finished & klaar so whether we like it or not, let's accept it & plan for the best possible future.

mfesharne Sep 2nd 2016 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12042415)
How do you know that's exactly what will happen? Nobody else seems to yet.

How do you know otherwise?

jimenato Sep 2nd 2016 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12042397)
Not the wrong side..... The WINNING side that voted to leave so you might as well learn to live with it because no matter how much the remainers whine it ain't gonna change .

:britflag:

I assume from your change of tack and the lack of a refutation that you concede that you are simply wrong about the relationship between the EU and the HRA and ECHR and therefore that your basis for supporting Brexit is invalid.

In spite of all the evidence you still stick to a position based upon faith and falsehood.

Basically it's a religion isn't it?

You think you have won? You haven't - you have lost. We have all lost because of you and people like you.

Red Eric Sep 2nd 2016 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12042311)
If you'd crossed the open border between Norway and Sweden as many times as I have, you might just have a clue.

So let's just get this bit straight, huh? Before it descends into yet another "the EU has an open door immigration policy which makes the UK vulnerable" type lines.

Norway (not a member of the EU but a member of Schengen) had a problem with Syrian refugees walking through Russia, with Russia's permission and visas to prove it and trying to claim asylum in Norway. Norway (rightly) said these refugees should claim asylum in Russia but Russia were being awkward about taking the refugees back because, not being an EU member state and therefore not a signatory to the Dublin Convention, they didn't see any obligation upon them to do so.

So the Norwegians re-inforced the border between Norway and Russia to prevent this happening in future and can thus prevent said refugees gaining access to the EU in a manner that you and your pals would consider illegitimate. Theirs is an external Schengen Border, not an internal border, so strengthening it is just what you have said in the past is required and it has now happened.

The borders being shoved up and patrolled which actually are controversial are those which constitute internal borders ie once someone has access to the Schengen Zone thay can no longer move around between all the Schengen states uninhibited. Neither can goods, presumably, which rather goes against one of the chief reasons for the existence of the Schengen Zone being set up in the first place.

Got it now? I realise it's a little bit complicated as it relies on knowing the difference between inside and outside but I'm sure it's not altogether beyond you if you really try.

I have regularly crossed the internal Schengen Borders with the absolute minimum of fuss that entails and the concept and practice of that hold absolutely no terrors for me whatsoever. No more than if I crossed the border between England and Wales or Scotland.

SultanOfSwing Sep 2nd 2016 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12042416)
Forget percentages.

The rules are a majority of even 1 is sufficient to win the vote & in this case it was one million, two hundred & sixty nine thousand, five hundred more than one that won the vote.

The real reason it didn't go the other way was that Junkers & his mob of unelected dictators refused to give anything away.

Had they been prepared to bend even just a little, the UK would have voted to stay but in their arrogance, they chose not to.

It's over, it's finished & klaar so whether we like it or not, let's accept it & plan for the best possible future.

I don't live in the UK, I don't really have to accept anything. I'm not resident in the UK, I don't pay taxes in the UK, I will probably never live there again. What I think doesn't matter one bit, so I can be as opposed to the result as I want without consequence as I am but a simple observer.

It's no different than if I was to say that the wrong team won the Euros, even though it was as clear a margin of victory as the referendum.

So yeah, go ahead and have your Brexit if that's what you want but don't come crying to any of us if and when it doesn't quite pan out the way you were led to believe it would.

mfesharne Sep 2nd 2016 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 12042419)
I assume from your change of tack and the lack of a refutation that you concede that you are simply wrong about the relationship between the EU and the HRA and ECHR and therefore that your basis for supporting Brexit is invalid.

In spite of all the evidence you still stick to a position based upon faith and falsehood.

Basically it's a religion isn't it?

You think you have won? You haven't - you have lost. We have all lost because of you and people like you.

You can assume what you like but the cold, hard facts are that the leave vote won so like it or lump it, the Brexit will happen.

That's an end to it whether you like it or not.

Red Eric Sep 2nd 2016 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12042421)
It's no different than if I was to say that the wrong team won the Euros...

Ohhhh, ohhhh ... don't start down that path Sultan.

Just don't, OK?

jimenato Sep 2nd 2016 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12042424)
You can assume what you like but the cold, hard facts are that the leave vote won so like it or lump it, the Brexit will happen.

That's an end to it whether you like it or not.

What has that got to do with HRA and the EU?

What you have to understand is that because Brexiteers like you are uninformed and wrong, remainers will never simply accept the vote. It was born of ignorance - you have demonstrated this. Not only did you vote based upon false belief, you didn't even know what you voted for - and you still don't.

You know what you think you voted for, but that's a different thing altogether.

SultanOfSwing Sep 2nd 2016 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12042428)
Ohhhh, ohhhh ... don't start down that path Sultan.

Just don't, OK?

Should have been Iceland. Or is that a "small team mentality"? :p

Red Eric Sep 2nd 2016 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12042412)

I'll tell you one thing - seriously.

Never mind whether they would have been gracious in defeat, I don't think the Remain supporters would have been quite so obnoxiously gleeful and gloating. I don't know what it is about the Brexit types but they sure have got "singing to the same hymnsheet" off to a tee. Makes a bit of a mockery of their claims to independent thinking.

And look at the crap they've produced on that front - the pictures of dummies etc. Ha freaking ha. Meanwhile we go on trying to spark some sort of dialogue with the bastards and all we get is lefty remainer crybaby sore loser shit.

Thry can't even be bothered to check whether what's on their wishlists is the remotest bit connected with leaving the EU.