Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Post EU Referendum

Post EU Referendum

Old Nov 23rd 2017, 5:32 pm
  #24256  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
GeniB's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 6,313
GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Cape Blue View Post
Incomes are squeezed when there is a surplus of labour and employers do not need to compete for workers - the supply of labour exceeds the demand.

Whilst the UK unemployment rate is low, the UK unemployed are no longer the reserve pool of labour for the UK employment market because it has been extended to include millions of keen and impoverished Europeans who cannot obtain work in their own countries.

Once the historic rates of high net immigration the UK has experienced over the past 10+ years starts to subside after brexit, labour will start to gain bargaining power and living standards will rise.

This will also have a positive impact on the UK's productivity and will incentivise investment in automation and in product substitution away from low value labour intensive products.

This will take a few years to shake-out, both for government to finally control immigration and for business to get over the immediate uncertainty of brexit and start to invest.
You have absolutely no grounds to substantiate these airy fairy idea . Only letters to Father Christmas
GeniB is offline  
Old Nov 23rd 2017, 5:38 pm
  #24257  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
GeniB's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 6,313
GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum

For the genuine Ex-pats amongst us,those who are concerned about our position post Brexit. It might be useful to know that the EU council is meeting on Dec 14th and 15th to discuss whether enough progress has been made on Phase 1 to continue to phase 2. There is a very real danger of a political 'stitch up' to allow this to happen without addressing ex-pats concerns.
Our rights have to be set in concrete before they move on,but they could compromise and have us left out in the cold. whilst they hurry on with trade deals. in phase11
If you wish to lobby your MEP and or the council ,or just sign your name to a petition then please PM. me (I hope that does not infringe the rules of the forum ) and I can pass on the address's.
GeniB is offline  
Old Nov 23rd 2017, 6:44 pm
  #24258  
So long...
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 22,012
DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Cape Blue View Post
Industries also pay more when they can't obtain workers, undertake product substitution to less labour intensive products, or invest in automation, thereby aiding the UK's dismal productivity figures.
Or move production to countries with low/no minimum wage laws, lax health and safety standards, and where people are willing to work for pennies to provide for their families.
DaveLovesDee is offline  
Old Nov 23rd 2017, 7:06 pm
  #24259  
Reasonable Bitch
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Mallorca
Posts: 18,139
amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by GeniB View Post
For the genuine Ex-pats amongst us,those who are concerned about our position post Brexit. It might be useful to know that the EU council is meeting on Dec 14th and 15th to discuss whether enough progress has been made on Phase 1 to continue to phase 2. There is a very real danger of a political 'stitch up' to allow this to happen without addressing ex-pats concerns.
Our rights have to be set in concrete before they move on,but they could compromise and have us left out in the cold. whilst they hurry on with trade deals. in phase11
If you wish to lobby your MEP and or the council ,or just sign your name to a petition then please PM. me (I hope that does not infringe the rules of the forum ) and I can pass on the address's.
Spain has already committed to openly accepting any *existing* British expats (new EU rules will certainly follow). I can't speak for Germany or any of the others, but I can't imagine why anyone would have a problem. Unless of course, they have some nationalist belief that "foreigners" are "ruining" their country. But that's mainly a British thing. I mean, look at Europe. They're all foreigners, ain't they? Explains why they don't have a problem.
amideislas is offline  
Old Nov 23rd 2017, 8:09 pm
  #24260  
Democracy advocate
 
Cape Blue's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 11,880
Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
Or move production to countries with low/no minimum wage laws, lax health and safety standards, and where people are willing to work for pennies to provide for their families.
Most of that already occurred when we off-shored low-value and small form-factor manufacturing industry to Asia 20 years ago.

Any industry that pays minimum age where the employees need in-work bennies to get-by is probably not worth having in the UK, especially as we are importing people to work in these benefit-attracting jobs.
Cape Blue is offline  
Old Nov 23rd 2017, 8:11 pm
  #24261  
Democracy advocate
 
Cape Blue's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 11,880
Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by GeniB View Post
You have absolutely no grounds to substantiate these airy fairy idea . Only letters to Father Christmas
These are fundamental economic principles, not "airy fairy ideas".
Cape Blue is offline  
Old Nov 23rd 2017, 8:12 pm
  #24262  
Reasonable Bitch
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Mallorca
Posts: 18,139
amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Cape Blue View Post
Most of that already occurred when we off-shored low-value and small form-factor manufacturing industry to Asia 20 years ago.

Any industry that pays minimum age where the employees need in-work bennies to get-by is probably not worth having in the UK, especially as we are importing people to work in these benefit-attracting jobs.
Well, apparently, it's worked so far, so let's just have more of it.
amideislas is offline  
Old Nov 23rd 2017, 8:43 pm
  #24263  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 14,377
Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by GeniB View Post
For the genuine Ex-pats amongst us,those who are concerned about our position post Brexit. It might be useful to know that the EU council is meeting on Dec 14th and 15th to discuss whether enough progress has been made on Phase 1 to continue to phase 2. There is a very real danger of a political 'stitch up' to allow this to happen without addressing ex-pats concerns.
Our rights have to be set in concrete before they move on,but they could compromise and have us left out in the cold. whilst they hurry on with trade deals. in phase11
If you wish to lobby your MEP and or the council ,or just sign your name to a petition then please PM. me (I hope that does not infringe the rules of the forum ) and I can pass on the address's.
I understand that expats in the EU countries went there with the promise of 'free movement', but why if you are a "genuine Ex-pat" do you not become a citizen of the country you are an expat in?

That is what is expected of expats/migrants coming to the UK and many of those had 'free movement' --post war!
They also come and go to their original countries, with varying "rights".
Bipat is online now  
Old Nov 23rd 2017, 9:04 pm
  #24264  
Preparing to move again
 
Annetje's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Charente Maritime
Posts: 5,456
Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by amideislas View Post
Spain has already committed to openly accepting any *existing* British expats (new EU rules will certainly follow). I can't speak for Germany or any of the others, but I can't imagine why anyone would have a problem. Unless of course, they have some nationalist belief that "foreigners" are "ruining" their country. But that's mainly a British thing. I mean, look at Europe. They're all foreigners, ain't they? Explains why they don't have a problem.
And how will Spain react when the UK does difficult to the Spanish ''expats'' ?
And how will the British expats react when they lose their freedom of movement ?
I know I wouldn't be happy ...
Annetje is offline  
Old Nov 23rd 2017, 9:07 pm
  #24265  
Preparing to move again
 
Annetje's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Charente Maritime
Posts: 5,456
Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Cape Blue View Post
Incomes are squeezed when there is a surplus of labour and employers do not need to compete for workers - the supply of labour exceeds the demand.

Whilst the UK unemployment rate is low, the UK unemployed are no longer the reserve pool of labour for the UK employment market because it has been extended to include millions of keen and impoverished Europeans who cannot obtain work in their own countries.

Once the historic rates of high net immigration the UK has experienced over the past 10+ years starts to subside after brexit, labour will start to gain bargaining power and living standards will rise.

This will also have a positive impact on the UK's productivity and will incentivise investment in automation and in product substitution away from low value labour intensive products.

This will take a few years to shake-out, both for government to finally control immigration and for business to get over the immediate uncertainty of brexit and start to invest.
Sounds to me that the whole UK mess is the fault of the foreigners, including the looming depression ... let's throw them all out !
Better still, let's sent everybody back to their own country ... problem solved (or is it ?)
Annetje is offline  
Old Nov 23rd 2017, 9:17 pm
  #24266  
Who - me?
 
Red Eric's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Arcos de Valdevez "Onde Portugal se fez"
Posts: 13,048
Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Bipat View Post
I understand that expats in the EU countries went there with the promise of 'free movement', but why if you are a "genuine Ex-pat" do you not become a citizen of the country you are an expat in?

That is what is expected of expats/migrants coming to the UK and many of those had 'free movement' --post war!
Whaaaaaaaa?

Expected by whom???????
Red Eric is offline  
Old Nov 23rd 2017, 9:21 pm
  #24267  
Preparing to move again
 
Annetje's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Charente Maritime
Posts: 5,456
Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
Whaaaaaaaa?

Expected by whom???????
Annetje is offline  
Old Nov 23rd 2017, 9:29 pm
  #24268  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 14,377
Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
Whaaaaaaaa?

Expected by whom???????
"Expected" by numerous posters on this Forum. They should be totally 'integrated'--forget their country of origin etc. etc.---
Bipat is online now  
Old Nov 23rd 2017, 9:30 pm
  #24269  
Who - me?
 
Red Eric's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Arcos de Valdevez "Onde Portugal se fez"
Posts: 13,048
Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by amideislas View Post
Spain has already committed to openly accepting any *existing* British expats (new EU rules will certainly follow). I can't speak for Germany or any of the others, but I can't imagine why anyone would have a problem. Unless of course, they have some nationalist belief that "foreigners" are "ruining" their country. But that's mainly a British thing. I mean, look at Europe. They're all foreigners, ain't they? Explains why they don't have a problem.
Oh come on, ami.

Accepting existing expats is an entirely different thing from guaranteeing that every protection currently owed to them will be preserved post Brexit. And some of that includes the way the UK handles things with regard to rights accrued prior to leaving.
Red Eric is offline  
Old Nov 23rd 2017, 9:34 pm
  #24270  
Preparing to move again
 
Annetje's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Charente Maritime
Posts: 5,456
Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Bipat View Post
"Expected" by numerous posters on this Forum. They should be totally 'integrated'--forget their country of origin etc. etc.---
Brexiteers you mean ?
Annetje is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.