British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Garbatellamike Nov 20th 2017 10:32 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12386147)
Cue Mike saying it's the only trophy Arsenal supporters will see this season. :p

After the way your lot destroyed Spurs you will be challenging for 2 or 3 trophies methinks

Garbatellamike Nov 20th 2017 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12386083)
No, it's a good job we joined the EEC, otherwise we'd have stayed the sick man of Europe.

Thatcher came to power after the benefits of EEC membership began to improve the UK's economic conditions. She (and the Tory party) reaped the benefits and received the credit for the UK's changing fortunes despite most the the hard decisions being made by the previous Labour government.

nope

Garbatellamike Nov 20th 2017 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12386130)
Erm, it's actually true.

nope

Garbatellamike Nov 20th 2017 10:35 pm

:goodpost::goodpost:

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12386143)
Which hard decisions are you referring to?

Shard Nov 21st 2017 1:55 am

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12386159)
Could I just say at this point that "belief" has nothing to do with anything. Facts are what are relevant here. Belief is for religion and it's good not to get those things confused.

Actually, I think belief is fairly central to this mess. Voters can be divided into three camps: believers in the EU (Remainers), believers in British nationalism (Leavers), and non-believers. The solid economic arguments for to stay within the EU only really apply to the "non-believers", because the Remainers are ideologically committed to the project in the same way Leavers are committed against it.

Remain has made a fundamental error by focusing primarily on the economic benefits of the EU, because there are two many Leave-believers that are simply not open to that logic. And the more starkly the consequences are laid out, the more open Remain is to be portrayed as scaremongering. In retrospect, it would have been more beneficial to change perceptions on the EU as a force for good. Far too many Leavers buy into the narrative that the EU is a wasteful foreign overlord, and very little has been said to counter that.

007Steve Nov 21st 2017 3:54 am

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12386193)
Can't blame Brexit for this one, can you?

OR this one la mancha (No, it's strictly speaking not on-topic but relevant to our future outside the EU);-
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/11/20/britain-without-judge-international-court-justice-first-time/
The Permanent UN Security Council seat is next.
What a sad isolated little nation we've chosen to become.

Garbatellamike Nov 21st 2017 8:07 am

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12386341)
Actually, I think belief is fairly central to this mess. Voters can be divided into three camps: believers in the EU (Remainers), believers in British nationalism (Leavers), and non-believers. The solid economic arguments for to stay within the EU only really apply to the "non-believers", because the Remainers are ideologically committed to the project in the same way Leavers are committed against it.

Remain has made a fundamental error by focusing primarily on the economic benefits of the EU, because there are two many Leave-believers that are simply not open to that logic. And the more starkly the consequences are laid out, the more open Remain is to be portrayed as scaremongering. In retrospect, it would have been more beneficial to change perceptions on the EU as a force for good. Far too many Leavers buy into the narrative that the EU is a wasteful foreign overlord, and very little has been said to counter that.

The best post on the entire thread - well put sir

Bipat Nov 21st 2017 8:15 am

Originally Posted by 007Steve (Post 12386357)
OR this one la mancha (No, it's strictly speaking not on-topic but relevant to our future outside the EU);-
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/11/20/britain-without-judge-international-court-justice-first-time/
The Permanent UN Security Council seat is next.
What a sad isolated little nation we've chosen to become.

Just because Britain is not ---chosen for everything/the head of everything/in charge etc etc. does not mean that it is isolated or sad.
As we tell the grand children --its called sharing!:lol::

Red Eric Nov 21st 2017 8:16 am

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12386225)
EU agencies were always going to move from the UK. As for Barnier’s speech to a think tank, everyone in the financial industry says that to mess with the financial eco-system will court disaster, but when did the EU ever listen to anyone? I said recently Europe is changing but the EU cocks a deaf ‘un. Now Germany has difficulties. Remember how everyone in the EU took the piss out of May after the last election? Macron and Merkel don’t seem so hot now, either, do they? I am afraid whoever is giving Barnier orders is leading you all over a cliff-edge. The landing will be very hard indeed for the EU. Have a nice time.

:lol: It's the UK that needs to wake up to the dynamics at play. The EU, first and foremost, has to see off any threat to its existence and it will also defend itself against the importation of US neoliberalism through the back door. The UK has to make its mind up about which way it's going to jump, so if it wants the close relationship with the EU that it says it wants, it's going to have to make the big concessions. And Merkel's domestic difficulties are going to take priority over Brexit, which is far worse news for the UK than it is for the other EU member states. The EU's got the time and the power in these negotiations - especially if May either backs down or gets defeated over writing the leaving date into the Brexit bill.

I recall you being rather confident about the negotiations on account of them being with the 27 member states, who'd be keen to look after their own individual interests, rather than with "the EU". How's that going for you so far?

Red Eric Nov 21st 2017 8:28 am

Eurotunnel renamed Getlink in preparation for post-Brexit era

Company says rebrand to ‘very Anglo-Saxon’ name is needed because it owns businesses beyond the Channel Tunnel
Jeeez :rolleyes: An orgy of rebranding, that'll sort things out.

Garbatellamike Nov 21st 2017 8:32 am

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12386429)
Eurotunnel renamed Getlink in preparation for post-Brexit era

Jeeez :rolleyes: An orgy of rebranding, that'll sort things out.

Or may be it is merely rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic???

Garbatellamike Nov 21st 2017 8:42 am

Staying in the Customs Union?

A mere 76 MPs – just 12% of the Commons – voted for Ian Murray’s amendment last night to keep open the option of staying in the customs union. 311 voted against. Corbyn whipped Labour MPs not to back the amendment. Staying in the customs union is not Brexit, it’s good to see an overwhelming Commons majority now agrees. Remainers are forever demanding parliament has its say – well Parliament has spoken…

Quote from Guido Fawkes' blog

GeniB Nov 21st 2017 9:02 am

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12386341)

:goodpost: It all however harks back to the hijacking of the referendum. How could the British people be expected to make an informed decision,when they were deliberately not informed,mislead,and lied too.Not just at the time of the referendum,but by a slow poison drip from the likes of Boris Johnson and then Nigel Farage. They had a warped view of the entity that is the EU for many yrs. That is very hard to change ,especially when powerful people are determined it won't.
I admit,i would probable have believed it as well,had I not been forced by circumstances to seek a life abroad within the EU. My eyes were opened by that move. Looking at Britain from a distance and not from a privileged position made me realise how very unbalanced and unfair its method of governance was

Bipat Nov 21st 2017 9:13 am

Originally Posted by GeniB (Post 12386450)
:goodpost: It all however harks back to the hijacking of the referendum. How could the British people be expected to make an informed decision,when they were deliberately not informed,mislead,and lied too.Not just at the time of the referendum,but by a slow poison drip from the likes of Boris Johnson and then Nigel Farage. They had a warped view of the entity that is the EU for many yrs. That is very hard to change ,especially when powerful people are determined it won't.
I admit,i would probable have believed it as well,had I not been forced by circumstances to seek a life abroad within the EU. My eyes were opened by that move. Looking at Britain from a distance and not from a privileged position made me realise how very unbalanced and unfair its method of governance was

Many including myself decided that the UK should leave membership of the EU long before the recent referendum.

Red Eric Nov 21st 2017 10:07 am

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12386436)
Quote from Guido Fawkes' blog

:rofl: