British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

GeniB Nov 20th 2017 6:34 am

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12385674)
:lol:

"Home Office officials have privately admitted the department is having problems increasing its immigration staffing levels as part of its Brexit preparations and may have to recruit Polish and other eastern Europeans to help register the 3 million EU nationals in Britain."

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...r-eu-nationals

That is so funny. I love the quote 'If UK nationals are required to join the rest of the world queue's at airports' No 'IF' buddy.. They WILL.. Faro has already built their booths :rofl::lol:

GeniB Nov 20th 2017 6:45 am

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12385612)
Yes, but not necessarily an increase in actual crime.

What exactly are you prepared to believe then ? Crime that IS reported? Or crime that YOU decide has been reported? Do you have to actually see the crime to believe it?
I will give you one small instance.I know of personally..at the milder end My Danish ex-pat friend, (of many yrs whilst I lived in NL ) Has recently retired to the UK with her British OH. Since Brexit she is afraid to go into the local shops in Kent,because when she opens her mouth she has a foreign accent. She has been asked many times 'where do you come from'Normal in the past,but now she feels threatened
She is so self concious and upset about the attitude in the UK now ,that she is spending more and more time in Denmark. It has caused a rift in her family life.
I imagine that has been repeated many times over for other foreigners.

Red Eric Nov 20th 2017 7:09 am

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12385674)
:lol:

"Home Office officials have privately admitted the department is having problems increasing its immigration staffing levels as part of its Brexit preparations and may have to recruit Polish and other eastern Europeans to help register the 3 million EU nationals in Britain."

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...r-eu-nationals

Well it is the Guardian, so it has to be taken with a pinch of salt. Why couldn't new recruits be sourced from a well-known subcontinent beginning with I, for example? Or perhaps the work could be outsourced to there to avoid the need for immigrants altogether, since we're now fresh out of room for them. Typical Guardian scaremongering about the world only consisting of 27 countries.

The shortage is perfectly understandable though and entirely down to the EU. There's an army of unemployed Brits who've been promised the opportunity to pick carrots once the UK Brexits. Why on earth would they want to subject themselves to a cushy office job with paid holidays, sick pay and possibly a pension scheme when they could be bent double in the fields all day for half the pay (or no pay at all if the weather was too bad) and billeted in a draughty barn by night?

What's needed to fix the problem is a reduction in the generosity of the conditions offered to the pool of available workers. It's simple supply and demand.

Red Eric Nov 20th 2017 7:22 am

Originally Posted by GeniB (Post 12385706)
I love the quote 'If UK nationals are required to join the rest of the world queue's at airports' No 'IF' buddy.. They WILL..

Have you any evidence of that?

Originally Posted by GeniB (Post 12385706)
Faro has already built their booths :rofl::lol:

Seeing as you keep on mentioning it : Faro airport expansion was planned long before the Brexit referendum. The capacity has been increased by 25% - this is nothing to do with the possibility of treating arrivals from the UK as non EU passengers.

Bipat Nov 20th 2017 8:21 am

Originally Posted by GeniB (Post 12385710)
What exactly are you prepared to believe then ? Crime that IS reported? Or crime that YOU decide has been reported? Do you have to actually see the crime to believe it?
I will give you one small instance.I know of personally..at the milder end My Danish ex-pat friend, (of many yrs whilst I lived in NL ) Has recently retired to the UK with her British OH. Since Brexit she is afraid to go into the local shops in Kent,because when she opens her mouth she has a foreign accent. She has been asked many times 'where do you come from'Normal in the past,but now she feels threatened
She is so self concious and upset about the attitude in the UK now ,that she is spending more and more time in Denmark. It has caused a rift in her family life.
I imagine that has been repeated many times over for other foreigners.

If you look for problems you will find them! What about all the brown and black people in the UK? What is the problem with asking where you come from? Leads to conversation. The majority of Uk people couldn't care less where you come from others just interested, a minority are plain nasty!

GeniB Nov 20th 2017 8:38 am

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12385721)
Have you any evidence of that?

Seeing as you keep on mentioning it : Faro airport expansion was planned long before the Brexit referendum. The capacity has been increased by 25% - this is nothing to do with the possibility of treating arrivals from the UK as non EU passengers.

Oh Eric Eric Eric... Stop being soooooo pedantic... I KNOW that! I live here.. remember... I was referring to the 'immigration booths for Non EU members' being put up at the airport...But I am guessing you know that... Just any excuse to 'diss ' what I say... Why? umm... no idea.( the same with the Guardian ? for goodness sake thats such old news.. get over it)

I must admit though.. I do wonder where you get all your 'insider info from' Are you part of a political group here in Portugal?. Do you belong to some exclusively informed ex-pat group.? I only belong to the AFPOP group here (OH is on the finance committee) Also connected to a Rotary group here in the Algarve.I am also a subscriber to POLITICO. and to ESCREU... Just been to a meeting with Blevins Franks Lisbon Group. One of the partners is on the AFPOP Committee.They advise on tax and wealth management etc. We also have had close ties with the British consulate and with Kirsty Hayes the outgoing British Ambassador to Portugal
I do tend to listen to what these people say about Brexit and about the present state of affairs in Portugal. What will happen to Brits when they become ex members of the EU.

Please do inform us of your connections and information sources.. rather than continually snipe at me for no apparent reason

GeniB Nov 20th 2017 8:52 am

Originally Posted by Assanah (Post 12385705)
Portugal is receiving EU funds because it is in a fragile position and needs support. That's the same situation as in the 1970s and 80s when the EC allowed the sick man of Europe to join. The country was the poorest in the community and received the support needed to reform and build up its economy. That was also the time when British workers flooded Germany in search of work. Germany also being the only country to be a net contributor at that time. Things go in circles. So I expect EU countries to step up once Germany needs help. Not like the UK to suck funds out of the EU when it is in bad position and then to leave blindly and arrogantly when it is stabilized thinking it is so much better then the rest. So it is really good that the UK will be gone from the EU soon because it hasn't understood.

:goodpost: Well said Assanah... Portugals ills were not entirely self made as we have said many times. They got caught in the financial crisis..They also contributed by having some crooked bankers in their midst.People need to remember its a very small country (10+ million on a good day) It has been manipulated by foreigners for centuries. It has also provided well educated workers to most of Europe in the last 20 yrs.Leaving it very short of skilled young people. It is definitely on the rise now however. With a far seeing government in place and one that has had the gumption to actually prosecute a crooked banker. Sending a message that most other countries have failed to do.A message that the law cannot be flaunted because you are obscenely rich,or in a position of power..

GeniB Nov 20th 2017 8:57 am

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12385752)
If you look for problems you will find them! What about all the brown and black people in the UK? What is the problem with asking where you come from? Leads to conversation. The majority of Uk people couldn't care less where you come from others just interested, a minority are plain nasty!

I assure you that my friend isn't 'looking for a problem' why on earth would she.'?
As I said ,she has been asked before about her accent. It is the 'tone' and the 'implication' behind the questions now. Once you say publicly that you don't want foreigners in your country,you cannot take that back.It will never be the country I remember ever again.

amideislas Nov 20th 2017 9:15 am

Simple solution: don't "look" for problems. Just assume everything's gonna be "great" and it will. Pay no attention to those people behind the curtain. They're just trying to make everything "great".

Bipat Nov 20th 2017 9:48 am

Originally Posted by GeniB (Post 12385768)
I assure you that my friend isn't 'looking for a problem' why on earth would she.'?
As I said ,she has been asked before about her accent. It is the 'tone' and the 'implication' behind the questions now. Once you say publicly that you don't want foreigners in your country,you cannot take that back.It will never be the country I remember ever again.

There is nothing new about the minority of people who think this way! You really are naive. There has always been prejudice by a few about those from other countries etc.

Bipat Nov 20th 2017 9:57 am

Originally Posted by GeniB (Post 12385767)
:goodpost: Well said Assanah... Portugals ills were not entirely self made as we have said many times. They got caught in the financial crisis..They also contributed by having some crooked bankers in their midst.People need to remember its a very small country (10+ million on a good day) It has been manipulated by foreigners for centuries. It has also provided well educated workers to most of Europe in the last 20 yrs.Leaving it very short of skilled young people. It is definitely on the rise now however. With a far seeing government in place and one that has had the gumption to actually prosecute a crooked banker. Sending a message that most other countries have failed to do.A message that the law cannot be flaunted because you are obscenely rich,or in a position of power..

"Centuries"?? They did quite a lot of manipulating in other countries then! :lol:

Lion in Winter Nov 20th 2017 10:56 am

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12385718)
Well it is the Guardian, so it has to be taken with a pinch of salt. Why couldn't new recruits be sourced from a well-known subcontinent beginning with I, for example? Or perhaps the work could be outsourced to there to avoid the need for immigrants altogether, since we're now fresh out of room for them. Typical Guardian scaremongering about the world only consisting of 27 countries.

The shortage is perfectly understandable though and entirely down to the EU. There's an army of unemployed Brits who've been promised the opportunity to pick carrots once the UK Brexits. Why on earth would they want to subject themselves to a cushy office job with paid holidays, sick pay and possibly a pension scheme when they could be bent double in the fields all day for half the pay (or no pay at all if the weather was too bad) and billeted in a draughty barn by night?

What's needed to fix the problem is a reduction in the generosity of the conditions offered to the pool of available workers. It's simple supply and demand.

We should make sure that we import exactly the right number of people starting the date we need them, dividing the number up precisely among the different nationalities of the world in the name of fairness, and then ensure that they all leave again once the job is over.

Except we will need more staff to import and register that corps of workers of course, as well as ensure they leave :confused:

Garbatellamike Nov 20th 2017 11:12 am

Anyone remember who it was who pooh-poohed my assertion that Mrs Merkel might find it tricky to form a coalition?

:whistle:

https://news.sky.com/story/what-next...lapse-11135368

Lion in Winter Nov 20th 2017 11:46 am

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12385824)
Anyone remember who it was who pooh-poohed my assertion that Mrs Merkel might find it tricky to form a coalition?

:whistle:

https://news.sky.com/story/what-next...lapse-11135368

No, I don't actually.

But as long as we're all clear that the EU and immigrants are to blame, then it's all good, right?

la mancha Nov 20th 2017 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12385557)
Fragile and recovering, manchie, no bettter than that. And the EU funds available to successful bids are helping in the rebuilding of the country after the havoc wreaked by the so-called bailout. It's good to have a visionary government which sees the value and the potential of encouraging the maximising of making such bids and making available the necessary co-participation funds. Also one which is capable of seeing off the threat of withdrawing access to those funds (as per our previous discussions on this matter ;)).

All in all, a highly satisfactory position at the moment but one which teeters on a knife-edge. Thanks for the contributions, though and do keep them coming. We wouldn't want to tip over the wrong side again.

Good to see something positive. I would not like to see Portugal or any other nation fall again. It does no one any good, the people or the nation. As for the continuing contributions, I have nothing against helping Portugal or any other nation; my concern is the EU, not individual nations. Europe is changing but the EU goes on regardless. As for keeping the contributions coming, I think that may be coming to an end. It will now be up to France and Germany to plug a massive gap in funding. I see Macron’s popularity has fallen in record time as unemployment has risen, and Merkel could be on the way out or faced with the prospect of forming an undesirable coalition or another election. The irony is that it is France and Germany who are holding out for a bigger final contribution from the UK (or so I am informed).