British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Red Eric Sep 2nd 2016 1:20 pm

re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12042044)
Regarding the HRA.

I've pointed this out before but will do so again.

It rather is & isn't EU legislation because it's linked to the EU & the Convention ....

And you have had this pointed out to you I don't know how many times and you still refuse to absorb it.:rolleyes:

The HRA is the UK adoption into domestic law of the European Convention on Human Rights, which is nothing to do with the EU. Neither is the Court which upholds that Convention - it is not a part of any EU institution and countries which are not part of the EU are also signatories to the Convention and subject to the Court's decisions.

Red Eric Sep 2nd 2016 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12042031)
Meanwhile in Norway...

Norway to build border fence with Russia to keep out refugees | The Independent

Norway to build border fence with Russia to keep out refugees

Wow - the Norway / Russia border to be strengthened. Whod'a thought it possible, eh?

What's that got to do with the EU internal borders, though :confused:

mfesharne Sep 2nd 2016 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12042058)
And you have had this pointed out to you I don't know how many times and you still refuse to absorb it.:rolleyes:

The HRA is the UK adoption into domestic law of the European Convention on Human Rights, which is nothing to do with the EU. Neither is the Court which upholds that Convention - it is not a part of any EU institution and countries which are not part of the EU are also signatories to the Convention and subject to the Court's decisions.

To my mind, that's got nothing to with it.

The fact is the UK cannot get rid of or alter the act whilst it's a member of the EU & has to obey the decisions made (see the wiki link I posted) which is why TM was repeatedly unable to deport Abu Hamza & others......... But an independent UK can make it's own new legislation to make such deportations not only possible but easy. ....... & if that means withdrawing from the Convention it can do that as well.

I'm sure that'd put a few noses out of joint but an independent UK will be free to do whatever it wants to within the bounds of democratic & parliamentary rules etc.

jimenato Sep 2nd 2016 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 12041976)
Spain maintains a hard border with Gibraltar which is in the EU :thumbdown:

...but it's not in the customs union Fred - which if course you know...;)

jimenato Sep 2nd 2016 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12042073)
To my mind, that's got nothing to with it.

The fact is the UK cannot get rid of or alter the act whilst it's a member of the EU & has to obey the decisions made (see the wiki link I posted) which is why TM was repeatedly unable to deport Abu Hamza & others......... But an independent UK can make it's own new legislation to make such deportations not only possible but easy. ....... & if that means withdrawing from the Convention it can do that as well.

I'm sure that'd put a few noses out of joint but an independent UK will be free to do whatever it wants to within the bounds of democratic & parliamentary rules etc.

Quote the bit you mean from the wiki entry that says it has anything to do with the EU.

mfesharne Sep 2nd 2016 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 12042179)
Quote the bit you mean from the wiki entry that says it has anything to do with the EU.

Well as you asked so nicely.

:sarcasm:

Why not read the intro at the top of the page that explains the links to the European convention & court.

As I've said several times before, it's the reason TM so often failed to get rid of the undesireables such as this 102 people in 2010 alone:

102 foreign criminals and illegal immigrants we can't deport - Telegraph

Wintersong Sep 2nd 2016 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12042199)

Why not read the intro at the top of the page that explains the links to the European convention & court.

As I've said several times before, it's the reason TM so often failed to get rid of the undesireables such as this 102 people in 2010 alone:

Pssst. You might want to read this wiki entry, specifically the intro at the top of the page that explains that the Council of Europe should not be confused with the Council of the European Union - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Council_of_Europe

And maybe also this one, specifically the intro at the top of the page that explains that the European Court of Human Rights should not be confused with the European Court of Justice - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europe...f_Human_Rights

Dick Dasterdly Sep 2nd 2016 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12042061)
Wow - the Norway / Russia border to be strengthened. Whod'a thought it possible, eh?

What's that got to do with the EU internal borders, though :confused:

If you'd crossed the open border between Norway and Sweden as many times as I have, you might just have a clue.

Lion in Winter Sep 2nd 2016 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12042311)
If you'd crossed the open border between Norway and Sweden as many times as I have, you might just have a clue.

Bloody foreigners moving around again.

The nerve.

jimenato Sep 2nd 2016 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12042199)

What has any of that got to do with the EU?

Face it. You have voted based on false belief. You've got it wrong. You are on the wrong side.

mfesharne Sep 2nd 2016 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 12042386)
What has any of that got to do with the EU?

Face it. You have voted based on false belief. You've got it wrong. You are on the wrong side.

Not the wrong side..... The WINNING side that voted to leave so you might as well learn to live with it because no matter how much the remainers whine it ain't gonna change .

:britflag:

SultanOfSwing Sep 2nd 2016 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12042397)
Not the wrong side..... The WINNING side that voted to leave so you might as well learn to live with it because no matter how much the remainers whine it ain't gonna change .

:britflag:

Being the winning side doesn't make it the right side.

Case in point, Chelsea have won the Premiership before ...

Lion in Winter Sep 2nd 2016 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12042398)

And much of the winning side apparently didn't understand what the game was about.

In both cases.

SultanOfSwing Sep 2nd 2016 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12042400)
And much of the winning side apparently didn't understand what the game was about.

In both cases.

Brutal :D

mfesharne Sep 2nd 2016 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12042398)

Neither side knows the future & the vote was taken on opinion but whether the remainers like it or not, you can't get away from the fact that 1269501 more people were of the opinion that leave was the better option.

So that's what must happen.