British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

EMR Nov 15th 2017 5:37 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12382872)
EMR , I have asked you so many times --why did non-EU immigrants vote in the same proportions.
Also why are you so against fair immigration procedures for all why is it wrong to want controlled immigration and in your view even wrong to discuss it?
Also why to you equate Brexiters with capital punishment and fox hunting (your previous post).

There are many groups that influence general elections(not the thread to go into that!!)

Groups that support capital punishment etc do not achieve enough influence to affect government policy,
Whereas all those who voted to leave because of immigration either prejudiced or misguided by the media, Farage etc did.
I am not against a sensible immigration policy ,why would you think that.
You think our immigration policy is unfair because it favours those from countries who are our largest market, provide wealth and prosperity for the UK as opposed to those who do not.
Yet it is immigrants from those countries who make up the largest numberxnon EU migrants in fact all immigrants.
How is that unfair ?

amideislas Nov 15th 2017 6:00 pm

I don't know how you figure "against fair immigration". But OK, it's how you are. You derive your own meanings from stuff.

Nonetheless, until the UK leaves (which hopefully will be soon), it has an agreement with the EU for free movement of labour. The UK has until now chosen to not implement some controls that other EU members legally employ, while complaining that there is no "border control", despite the fact that the UK has the most stringent of virtually all EU members, and doesn't even subscribe to the schengen agreement. Furthermore, still to this day, non-EU immigration is higher than that of EU nationals.

So, leaving the EU won't solve the UK's perceived immigration "problems" until the UK decides to implement more stringent controls.

So, what, exactly is "fair" immigration? To leave the EU over it? Well, we could also ban artichokes, in the aspiration of eliminating north sea shark attacks. But it still won't provide any relief.

Bipat Nov 15th 2017 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12382893)
Groups that support capital punishment etc do not achieve enough influence to affect government policy,
Whereas all those who voted to leave because of immigration either prejudiced or misguided by the media, Farage etc did.
I am not against a sensible immigration policy ,why would you think that.
You think our immigration policy is unfair because it favours those from countries who are our largest market, provide wealth and prosperity for the UK as opposed to those who do not.
Yet it is immigrants from those countries who make up the largest numberxnon EU migrants in fact all immigrants.
How is that unfair ?

I did not say that the present system is "unfair".
I hope that Brexit will lead to a system that is fair and also regardless of country of origin.
You used the word "favours"--immigration should be according to need not a 'favour'.

( There are non-EU countries that provide jobs and investment more than most EU countries)

Bipat Nov 15th 2017 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12382915)
I don't know how you figure "against fair immigration". But OK, it's how you are. You derive your own meanings from stuff.

Nonetheless, until the UK leaves (which hopefully will be soon), it has an agreement with the EU for free movement of labour. The UK has until now chosen to not implement some controls that other EU members legally employ, while complaining that there is no "border control", despite the fact that the UK has the most stringent of virtually all EU members, and doesn't even subscribe to the schengen agreement. Furthermore, still to this day, non-EU immigration is higher than that of EU nationals.

So, leaving the EU won't solve the UK's perceived immigration "problems" until the UK decides to implement more stringent controls.

So, what, exactly is "fair" immigration? To leave the EU over it? Well, we could also ban artichokes, in the aspiration of eliminating north sea shark attacks. But it still won't provide any relief.

You assume it was the only reason for Brexit.
It was not my reason for voting leave and I presume not the reason for others also.
Should we have another 'special' poll for all citizens when we have to state our reason for voting as we did?? So that Remainers will know who they judge is bigoted etc???:lol::

Perhaps Remainers will issue us with special badges to indicate our various sins and wickedness!! lol:

EMR Nov 15th 2017 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12382919)
I did not say that the present system is "unfair".
I hope that Brexit will lead to a system that is fair and also regardless of country of origin.
You used the word "favours"--immigration should be according to need not a 'favour'.

( There are non-EU countries that provide jobs and investment more than most EU countries)

You will be very disappointed.
But then it's what you voted for.

Red Eric Nov 15th 2017 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12382919)

Which is one of the primary reasons you have given for voting Leave. So, what if it doesn't (which, given the messy compromises so far suggested, seems highly likely)?

Will you :
a) ignore it altogether
b) say it is better than it was
c) blame the EU
d) blame Remoaners

amideislas Nov 15th 2017 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12382927)
You assume it was the only reason for Brexit.
It was not my reason for voting leave and I presume not the reason for others also.
Should we have another 'special' poll for all citizens when we have to state our reason for voting as we did?? So that Remainers will know who they judge is bigoted etc???:lol::

Perhaps Remainers will issue us with special badges to indicate our various sins and wickedness!! lol:

It's the key reason. That's a matter of public record. But whatever other reasons just don't add up. The UK's position as the global front door to the world's (1st or second, depending on how you measure it) largest economy will be blown to smithereens. What's the plan to return to them good 'ol days of empirical glory? Yeah?

Bipat Nov 15th 2017 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12382936)
Which is one of the primary reasons you have given for voting Leave. So, what if it doesn't (which, given the messy compromises so far suggested, seems highly likely)?

Will you :
a) ignore it altogether
b) say it is better than it was
c) blame the EU
d) blame Remoaners

I have never given it as my primary reason for voting leave--however if it leads to immigration according to need and not country of origin that will be a positive.
I will accept it--what else can anyone do?

Bipat Nov 15th 2017 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12382943)
It's the key reason. That's a matter of public record. But whatever other reasons just don't add up. The UK's position as the global front door to the world's (1st or second, depending on how you measure it) largest economy will be blown to smithereens. What's the plan to return to them good 'ol days of empirical glory? Yeah?

I did not agree with the Lisbon Treaty changes---I have said it many times!!

(How many times will you refer in ignorance to 'empirical glory'?)

amideislas Nov 15th 2017 6:47 pm

I don't like fish cooked in sunflower oil. And for that reason, I've decided to give away a third of my income to endangered pigeons.

DaveLovesDee Nov 15th 2017 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12382869)
It's like the opposite of veganism, except you only eat beef.

"Hey, why's John eating six cows for breakfast"

"Oh, haven't you heard? He's one of those begans now."

At least he's not a Vogon!

SultanOfSwing Nov 15th 2017 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12382956)

Would you like to hear some poetry?

iano Nov 15th 2017 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12382854)
I know the answer to this one ;)

Having tried to explain already and failed, it's up to you now, Mr Chips. :cool:

macliam Nov 15th 2017 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12382956)

Are we back to John Redwood? :blink:

Bipat Nov 15th 2017 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12382933)
You will be very disappointed.
But then it's what you voted for.

Your post doesn't make sense. How do you know what will be disappointing?
How did Brexiters vote deliberately for measures that they would be disappointed about?