British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

EMR Nov 15th 2017 3:26 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum

The recent polls on " what the UK thinks " make interesting reading.

Shard Nov 15th 2017 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12382758)
The recent polls on " what the UK thinks " make interesting reading.

Can you elaborate?

EMR Nov 15th 2017 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12382772)
Can you elaborate?

One poll shows an increase in those who think it was wrong to vote to leave and a decline in those who think it was right.

Another showing a majority who think the government is making a mess of the negotiations with only a small % thinking that we should leave without a deal.

Shard Nov 15th 2017 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12382777)
One poll shows an increase in those who think it was wrong to vote to leave and a decline in those who think it was right.

Another showing a majority who think the government is making a mess of the negotiations with only a small % thinking that we should leave without a deal.

Ok, thanks. Unfortunately, nobody seems to be giving polls much consideration these days. They can be used for some sound bites, but they're not influencing many views. What I would like to see is a growing band of MPs explicitly forming a Remain block and a reduction in the "we ARE leaving the EU" line that so many spout.

Bipat Nov 15th 2017 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12382740)
If we had a unbiased press and media, a better educated and informed electorate, fewer self serving politicians I might think that there is a role for a referendum but we have none of those.
I do not live in the past, the UK in 1975 was a very different place to the UK of today.
Should there have been a referendum then, it would not have bothered me if we had not and the decision to join or not was decided by a majority vote in Parliament.

There was a referendum then!!!

So with our biased press and uneducated, uninformed electorate how is it that the politicians they vote into power should decide everything? You can't have it both ways EMR.

Yes, I believe we should have electoral reform, but the same people will be voting, the same uneducated etc. majority. Have you ever thought that on some occasions it might possibly, possibly be right that those who disagree with your views have the right to vote?

Bipat Nov 15th 2017 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12382777)

Can you give links. How many vote in the polls you mention and how are they chosen?

tennesseestud Nov 15th 2017 4:28 pm

Emerging now slight amount of social media manipulation was occuring during Ref. Nothing on the scale of UKIP and Gove etc but still.

la mancha Nov 15th 2017 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12382683)
It seems perfectly clear to me. Not sure what the problem is. Why did you think that 2.38 million was the number of new jobs for EU nationals?

No problem.

'An estimated 2.38 million employees began work between July and September this year - a rise of 112,000 compared with 2016…’

What workers, according to figures from the ONS, does the figure of 2.38 million refer to? When you work that one out 2.38 million was the number of workers who began work between July and September because the BBC said it was. The clue is in the word ‘began’.

EMR Nov 15th 2017 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12382807)
There was a referendum then!!!

So with our biased press and uneducated, uninformed electorate how is it that the politicians they vote into power should decide everything? You can't have it both ways EMR.

Yes, I believe we should have electoral reform, but the same people will be voting, the same uneducated etc. majority. Have you ever thought that on some occasions it might possibly, possibly be right that those who disagree with your views have the right to vote?

In an election people vote for a party, choosing from a number.
Would you be happy for a referendum on capital punishment
Or ending immigration
In fact anything our narrow minded media would fabricate lies and misinformation just as it did on the EU referendum.
I will say again because you seem to have a problem understanding.
Important national decisions should not be decided by referendum particularly one that leaves us open to who knows what.
Our political system works because it prevents those who are illingirmed , bigoted or prejudiced Tec gaining any influence in the government of the country.
Unlike the recent referendum.

la mancha Nov 15th 2017 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by iano (Post 12382705)
"An estimated 2.38 million employees began work between July and September this year"

'employees began work' doesn't mean 'started work' in this context. Had the Beeb used the phrase 'EU nationals were in work' instead, that probably would have made it clearer.

What does 'began' mean?

Bipat Nov 15th 2017 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12382825)
In an election people vote for a party, choosing from a number.
Would you be happy for a referendum on capital punishment
Or ending immigration
In fact anything our narrow minded media would fabricate lies and misinformation just as it did on the EU referendum.
I will say again because you seem to have a problem understanding.
Important national decisions should not be decided by referendum particularly one that leaves us open to who knows what.
Our political system works because it prevents those who are illingirmed , bigoted or prejudiced Tec gaining any influence in the government of the country.
Unlike the recent referendum.

You vote for a particular candidate who may or may not be a member of the party you support. I presume the media comment on the political parties, is it all fabricated lies then!!
I think you seem to have a problem understanding that the fact that if people disagree with you does not indicate that they are "ill informed, bigoted or prejudiced". They are the same people who vote in a general election.

EMR Nov 15th 2017 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12382846)
You vote for a particular candidate who may or may not be a member of the party you support. I presume the media comment on the political parties, is it all fabricated lies then!!
I think you seem to have a problem understanding that the fact that if people disagree with you does not indicate that they are "ill informed, bigoted or prejudiced". They are the same people who vote in a general election.

Anyone who voted brexit because of immigration, all immigration which is why the vote went the way it does falls into that category.
You can keep your rose tinted glasses on if You like.
They were able to influence the referendum but would not be able to influence a general election.

Red Eric Nov 15th 2017 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12382830)
What does 'began' mean?

I know the answer to this one ;)

SultanOfSwing Nov 15th 2017 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12382854)
I know the answer to this one ;)

It's like the opposite of veganism, except you only eat beef.

"Hey, why's John eating six cows for breakfast"

"Oh, haven't you heard? He's one of those begans now."

Bipat Nov 15th 2017 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12382848)
Anyone who voted brexit because of immigration, all immigration which is why the vote went the way it does falls into that category.
You can keep your rose tinted glasses on iff You like.
They were able to influence the referendum but would not be able to influence a general election.

EMR , I have asked you so many times --why did non-EU immigrants vote in the same proportions.
Also why are you so against fair immigration procedures for all why is it wrong to want controlled immigration and in your view even wrong to discuss it?
Also why to you equate Brexiters with capital punishment and fox hunting (your previous post).

There are many groups that influence general elections(not the thread to go into that!!)