British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

EMR Nov 15th 2017 2:25 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12382671)
Hundreds of thousands were mentioned. A million is a thousand thousands!

Anyway the point the OP was trying to make was that the majority of voters are unfit to vote because they read or have read tabloid newspapers.

Stop distorting views,
What I posted and believe is that important national issues and moral issues are too important to be left to a referendum.
We need to reform our electoral system but referendums should become just a chapter in our history.

Red Eric Nov 15th 2017 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12382690)
You two are rank amateurs. It's easy - what you have to do is take all the letters, jumble them up and rearrange them so it says what you want it to.

Simples.

There seems to be a bit of a problem with the number thingies as well today, which is complicating matters.

SultanOfSwing Nov 15th 2017 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12382692)
There seems to be a bit of a problem with the number thingies as well today, which is complicating matters.

They are tricky, in fairness.

Bipat Nov 15th 2017 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12382680)
People in uniforms not allowed to vote? I think that's probably going a bit far, unless you count prison uniforms, although personally I'm in favour of allowing them that small freedom.

It was a typo:o. I was quoting EMR!

iano Nov 15th 2017 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12382679)
Either the BBC or the Guardian have got this wrong. Anyone?

"An estimated 2.38 million employees began work between July and September this year"

'employees began work' doesn't mean 'started work' in this context. Had the Beeb used the phrase 'EU nationals were in work' instead, that probably would have made it clearer.

Lion in Winter Nov 15th 2017 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12382690)
You two are rank amateurs. It's easy - what you have to do is take all the letters, jumble them up and rearrange them so it says what you want it to.

Simples.

You are clearly ready for a Cabinet position.

SultanOfSwing Nov 15th 2017 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12382706)
You are clearly ready for a Cabinet position.

Hey, tone down the insults there :eek:

Lion in Winter Nov 15th 2017 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12382707)
Hey, tone down the insults there :eek:

:o

I was forgetting myself.

Bipat Nov 15th 2017 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12382691)
Stop distorting views,
What I posted and believe is that important national issues and moral issues are too important to be left to a referendum.
We need to reform our electoral system but referendums should become just a chapter in our history.

Read your own posts, regarding 'the majority'.
Who are more important than the voting population? Who should decide on national and moral issues?
What about the 1975 referendum? Presume that was OK because you agreed with the result?? If this recent result had been different what would you have said?

SultanOfSwing Nov 15th 2017 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12382708)
:o

I was forgetting myself.

Looks like we're both ready for the cabinet ...

Lion in Winter Nov 15th 2017 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12382710)
Looks like we're both ready for the cabinet ...

Snort.

Lion in Winter Nov 15th 2017 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12382709)
Who are more important than the voting population? Who should decide on national and moral issues?
What about the 1975 referendum? Presume that was OK because you agreed with the result?? If this recent result had been different what would you have said?

The voting public does decide. Through our representative Parliamentary democracy according to our constitution.

It's no good trying to run a competing system of direct democracy on issues selected by politicians for their own purposes.

Bipat Nov 15th 2017 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12382716)
The voting public does decide. Through our representative Parliamentary democracy according to our constitution.

It's no good trying to run a competing system of direct democracy on issues selected by politicians for their own purposes.

Considering the number of pages of this thread and discussion in all the media, membership or not of the EU would seem to be a particularly important issue for the people and not to be left to the decisions of politicians for their own purposes!

I would ask again why no complaints about the 1975 EEC referendum?

EMR Nov 15th 2017 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12382709)

If we had a unbiased press and media, a better educated and informed electorate, fewer self serving politicians I might think that there is a role for a referendum but we have none of those.
I do not live in the past, the UK in 1975 was a very different place to the UK of today.
Should there have been a referendum then, it would not have bothered me if we had not and the decision to join or not was decided by a majority vote in Parliament.

Shard Nov 15th 2017 3:20 pm

Although, I'm now getting the sense that even with a parliamentary vote, they will choose to Brexit. Not because it's the best option, but because it's the lowest common denominator option. The arguments by the Remainers are simply not being taken on board by the media and the public.