British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Lion in Winter Nov 15th 2017 1:33 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum

Hahahahahahaha

EU citizens: Record numbers working in UK - official figures - BBC News

So, more pesky EU nationals than ever, and fewer of those people from non-EU countries who were supposedly now going to have "equal rights" to enter and would be flocking over to be our nurses and pick our carrots.

Yes, I find the irony funny.

Bipat Nov 15th 2017 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12382622)
Come on - a child of three could see the straw men there. You are cleverer than that.

I am replying to the post of EMR --23823 and subsequent posts. Apparently we the majority all think the same on these issues, all read and believe the tabloids and are uniformed and unfit to vote!:lol:

(I wonder if the majority of us are women?? See what universal franchise has done:thumbdown:):lol:

iano Nov 15th 2017 1:45 pm

Audacious news that.

Can't help wondering whether 'the UK is taking back control' message has filtered through to Eastern Europe yet. Either that or it's an almighty snook being cocked.

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12382633)
Hahahahahahaha

So, more pesky EU nationals than ever, and fewer of those people from non-EU countries who were supposedly now going to have "equal rights" to enter and would be flocking over to be our nurses and pick our carrots.

Bipat Nov 15th 2017 1:53 pm

Hahahahahahaha

Brexit hasn't happened yet, immigration rules have not changed.
Non-EU citizens are not going to "flock", why are equal rights not a good thing?

(I have put information about new schemes for non-EU nurses on the 'other' segregated thread.)

Red Eric Nov 15th 2017 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12382559)
The readership numbers are in the thousands the voting population in millions!

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12382616)
...it's hundreds of thousands, not thousands

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12382631)
Hundreds of thousands is thousands!

And millions is hundreds.

Lion in Winter Nov 15th 2017 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12382659)

Millions is ones.

Bipat Nov 15th 2017 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12382659)

Hundreds of thousands were mentioned. A million is a thousand thousands!

Anyway the point the OP was trying to make was that the majority of voters are unfit to vote because they read or have read tabloid newspapers.

Red Eric Nov 15th 2017 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12382619)
The whole UK as victim stance isn't very credible, is it. This entire mess is a 100% self-inflicted wound.

I suppose it depends on what one reads. If it's almost all of the sort of nosense typified by the front of today's Telegraph, which I suspect it probably is with some of our out-of-the-closet-Brexiter friends, it's probably easier to see things that way.

la mancha Nov 15th 2017 2:16 pm

Hahahahahahaha

Typical BBC reporting.

'An estimated 2.38 million employees began work between July and September this year - a rise of 112,000 compared with 2016…'

Total BS.

Here I am thinking, how can we create 2.38 million jobs in three months?

'The quarterly ONS labour market statistics show the number of UK nationals employed in Britain rose over the 12 months to September 2017 by 183,000 to 28.55 million. Over the same period, the number of other EU nationals employed rose by 112,000 to 2.38 million, while the number of non-EU nationals working in Britain remained broadly flat at 1.21 million.'

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-britain-rises

Either the BBC or the Guardian have got this wrong. Anyone?

Romanians and Bulgarians are coming but Poles and Czechs are beginning to leave. All the more reason for us to get out of the EU as quick as we can and let Germany and France give them work.

'The number of EU nationals working in the UK has reached a record level, figures from the Office for National Statistics show.

An estimated 2.38 million employees began work between July and September this year - a rise of 112,000 compared with 2016 and the highest number since records began 20 years ago.'

Can you see how this is written to give the impression that this number is all EU workers?

Red Eric Nov 15th 2017 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12382646)
Apparently we the majority all think the same on these issues, all read and believe the tabloids and are uniformed and unfit to vote!:lol:

People in uniforms not allowed to vote? I think that's probably going a bit far, unless you count prison uniforms, although personally I'm in favour of allowing them that small freedom.

Lion in Winter Nov 15th 2017 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12382679)
Typical BBC reporting.

'An estimated 2.38 million employees began work between July and September this year - a rise of 112,000 compared with 2016…'

Total BS.

Here I am thinking, how can we create 2.38 million jobs in three months?

'The quarterly ONS labour market statistics show the number of UK nationals employed in Britain rose over the 12 months to September 2017 by 183,000 to 28.55 million. Over the same period, the number of other EU nationals employed rose by 112,000 to 2.38 million, while the number of non-EU nationals working in Britain remained broadly flat at 1.21 million.'

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-britain-rises

Either the BBC or the Guardian have got this wrong. Anyone?

Romanians and Bulgarians are coming but Poles and Czechs are beginning to leave. All the more reason for us to get out of the EU as quick as we can and let Germany and France give them work.

'The number of EU nationals working in the UK has reached a record level, figures from the Office for National Statistics show.

An estimated 2.38 million employees began work between July and September this year - a rise of 112,000 compared with 2016 and the highest number since records began 20 years ago.'

Can you see how this is written to give the impression that this number is all EU workers?

It seems perfectly clear to me. Not sure what the problem is. Why did you think that 2.38 million was the number of new jobs for EU nationals?

Red Eric Nov 15th 2017 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12382679)

:confused: No.

Lion in Winter Nov 15th 2017 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12382685)

Snap :confused:

Red Eric Nov 15th 2017 2:24 pm

I'm glad it's not just me that can read :)

SultanOfSwing Nov 15th 2017 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12382685)

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12382686)
Snap :confused:

You two are rank amateurs. It's easy - what you have to do is take all the letters, jumble them up and rearrange them so it says what you want it to.

Simples.