British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

macliam Nov 14th 2017 10:19 am

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas (Post 12381658)
Not much point, this thread is just a circle jerk for Remoaners :scarper:

..... that could be because the other side have nothing to offer but magic beans.:huh:

EMR Nov 14th 2017 10:22 am

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas (Post 12381690)
Some Remoaners on here probably need help :p

Those on low incomes suffering from brexit vote induced inflation certainly do need help.
They are not getting any from this government.

Lion in Winter Nov 14th 2017 11:58 am

How is "power to the people" coming along? Are we represented in government yet?

Asking for a friend.

tennesseestud Nov 15th 2017 1:18 am

Just putting my 2 cents in here on a potential benefit of Brexit if done right.

That stupid DVLA thing about being resident in the UK to even deal with the DVLA ... That is not UK law. That's not the UK or DVLA being a pain in the ass It's EU law, under EEC Directive set in 1997.

My question really at the moment, will that resident law cease to be lawful in the UK after Brexit day? How will it be transferred to UK law and can we for example lobby our MP's to stand up for expats regarding the DVLA.

I say this noting I am still on the Electoral Register in Walsall and can postal vote from Nashville ( though I flew into London with my Brexit Ballot in hand last June ).

I'm in that situation now regarding my revoked for medical reasons DL (NHS made a misdiagnosis, American healthcare got the correct dx ... Upshot I can get my DL back but EU law says can't process my D1, due to resident rule).

I'm about to get on to my local MP in Walsall ... I can vote but I can't get my DVLA forms processed. Bonkers.

DaveLovesDee Nov 15th 2017 2:11 am

Originally Posted by tennesseestud (Post 12382304)

That stupid DVLA thing about being resident in the UK to even deal with the DVLA ... That is not UK law. That's not the UK or DVLA being a pain in the ass It's EU law, under EEC Directive set in 1997.

Which EU Directive is that? I can't find one after a quick look.

If you want to speak to someone in the DVLA, call 01792 782341 then #2. You may have difficulty in dialling the usual 0300 number from outside the UK, but I've never been stopped from contacting the DVLA from outside the UK.

Also, a UK driving licence has to have a UK address on it. Nothing to do with the EU, most countries only allow residents (or those intending to become resident) to hold a drivers licence issued by that country.

Jerseygirl Nov 15th 2017 2:25 am

Originally Posted by tennesseestud (Post 12382304)

My question really at the moment, will that resident law cease to be lawful in the UK after Brexit day? How will it be transferred to UK law and can we for example lobby our MP's to stand up for expats regarding the DVLA.

I say this noting I am still on the Electoral Register in Walsall and can postal vote from Nashville ( though I flew into London with my Brexit Ballot in hand last June ).

I'm in that situation now regarding my revoked for medical reasons DL (NHS made a misdiagnosis, American healthcare got the correct dx ... Upshot I can get my DL back but EU law says can't process my D1, due to resident rule).

I'm about to get on to my local MP in Walsall ... I can vote but I can't get my DVLA forms processed. Bonkers.

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12382324)
Which EU Directive is that? I can't find one after a quick look.

If you want to speak to someone in the DVLA, call 01792 782341 then #2. You may have difficulty in dialling the usual 0300 number from outside the UK, but I've never been stopped from contacting the DVLA from outside the UK.

Also, a UK driving licence has to have a UK address on it. Nothing to do with the EU, most countries only allow residents (or those intending to become resident) to hold a drivers licence issued by that country.

Tennesseestud has opened a thread on this subject. If you wish to discuss it further...rather than post in this thread please post here...

http://britishexpats.com/forum/rover.../#post12382325

Red Eric Nov 15th 2017 8:17 am

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas (Post 12339378)
This thread has become a circle jerk for remoaners. There's no point anyone else posting here.

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas (Post 12381658)
Not much point, this thread is just a circle jerk for Remoaners :scarper:

Seems more like an echo chamber for born-again Brexiters to me.

jimenato Nov 15th 2017 8:30 am

Are there any Brexiteers left on here?

I want to ask them if they are happy with the way things are going so far?

InVinoVeritas Nov 15th 2017 9:11 am

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 12382467)

I don't think anyone can be happy with the way things are going. For me it was when May dropped the ball by going for an election and failing to consolidate the government's position It has weakened the UK's negotiating position enormously.

The EU is mucking us about now in the hope it will discourage any other Exiters and uses the excuse that there are different messages coming out of the various UK political factions - if that is not "playing" us, I don't know what is.

I posted eons ago that Article 50 was reversible but I don't see that happening and most street interviews/polls seem to indicate there is still a desire within the British public to get on with Brexit.

There seems to me little point in the continual complaining by Remoaners about Brexit when there has not been a single constructive suggestion as to how the clearly expressed desires of the electorate could have been achieved within the EU. Macron in France made promises during the recents elections to reform the EU, which remind me of those made by Cameron, and he is getting the same rebuttal.

The EU is still unreformable and the UK voters are still wanting change. It's a shame Juncker cannot be a bit more presidential.

jimenato Nov 15th 2017 10:00 am

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas (Post 12382477)
I don't think anyone can be happy with the way things are going. For me it was when May dropped the ball by going for an election and failing to consolidate the government's position It has weakened the UK's negotiating position enormously.

The EU is mucking us about now in the hope it will discourage any other Exiters and uses the excuse that there are different messages coming out of the various UK political factions - if that is not "playing" us, I don't know what is.

I posted eons ago that Article 50 was reversible but I don't see that happening and most street interviews/polls seem to indicate there is still a desire within the British public to get on with Brexit.

There seems to me little point in the continual complaining by Remoaners about Brexit when there has not been a single constructive suggestion as to how the clearly expressed desires of the electorate could have been achieved within the EU. Macron in France made promises during the recents elections to reform the EU, which remind me of those made by Cameron, and he is getting the same rebuttal.

The EU is still unreformable and the UK voters are still wanting change. It's a shame Juncker cannot be a bit more presidential.

What you mean by 'clearly expressed desires'?

The only 'clearly expressed desire' was to leave the EU so it obviously couldn't have been achieved within it.:confused:

InVinoVeritas Nov 15th 2017 10:23 am

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 12382490)
What you mean by 'clearly expressed desires'?

The only 'clearly expressed desire' was to leave the EU so it obviously couldn't have been achieved within it.:confused:

That's a bit facile and perhaps shows why Remoaners on here are so out of touch with sentiment in the UK.

EMR Nov 15th 2017 10:39 am

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas (Post 12382503)
That's a bit facile and perhaps shows why Remoaners on here are so out of touch with sentiment in the UK.

Recent polls show only a small percentage who want to walk away without a deal.
The majority are far from happy with the performance of the government to date.
I know we are leaving , I just want everyone who voted to leave to accept that they will be responsible for what ever happens when we leave.
Good or bad.
They have lost any right to complain.
But that is never going to happen , is it ?

InVinoVeritas Nov 15th 2017 10:48 am

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12382513)
Recent polls show only a small percentage who want to walk away without a deal.
The majority are far from happy with the performance of the government to date.
I know we are leaving , I just want everyone who voted to leave to accept that they will be responsible for what ever happens when we leave.
Good or bad.
They have lost any right to complain.
But that is never going to happen , is it ?

But that is facile too. Those who voted for Brexit are not the ones enacting it so they are no more responsible for it than those who voted Tory (or, more to the point, those who didn't) at the last election. And the right to complain goes with moaning about the weather, it's just sooo British.

Bipat Nov 15th 2017 10:52 am

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 12382467)

Neither happy or unhappy, will await the final outcome.
Most of the negotiations go on behind the scenes--hundreds of advisers etc. involved.
The press is told what the person 'telling' thinks is expedient, neither side is going to give away all their strategy.

EMR Nov 15th 2017 10:52 am

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas (Post 12382520)
But that is facile too. Those who voted for Brexit are not the ones enacting it so they are no more responsible for it than those who voted Tory (or, more to the point, those who didn't) at the last election. And the right to complain goes with moaning about the weather, it's just sooo British.

So you are confirming that many of Those who voted to leave had no idea how the process would work or what the repercussions will be.
Confirmation that referendums are not the way major national decisions should be made.