Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Post EU Referendum

Post EU Referendum

Old Nov 10th 2017, 1:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Cape Blue View Post
Oh please - I have told you repeatedly that tariffs increase the cost - if they didn't why would they be applied? If we could choose between tariff-free Spanish and tariff-free South African at the same time we would have competition and a lower cost, instead the EU apply tariffs to suppress that competition.

Container ships are no more environmentally bad than single trucks hacking up to the UK from Spain.

Not sure what your other secret issue is.
Yes, except that South African oranges grow at a different time than Spanish ones. So there simply will be no competition. However, soon the UK can decide to lower tariffs and you will be in orange heaven up to your ears 😂😂

The other problem I was mentioning are phytosanitary measures. I think that internationally it is agreed that for the most part customs and tariffs are not the problem anymore. So I don't believe that lowering tariffs will be such a big win for the UK. You now will have to spend the money on inspections, certificates, and testing as you will be losing the supply of European food, which is at the moment absolutely free of any extra costs such as tariffs, customs, fees, inspections, audits, certificates etc. I really do think it to be stupid ( sorry but I really do think it stupid) to get rid of the freest free trade agreement that exists on this planet because you support free trade.

Last edited by Assanah; Nov 10th 2017 at 1:23 pm.
Old Nov 10th 2017, 2:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

la mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Assanah View Post
Yes, except that South African oranges grow at a different time than Spanish ones. So there simply will be no competition. However, soon the UK can decide to lower tariffs and you will be in orange heaven up to your ears 😂😂

The other problem I was mentioning are phytosanitary measures. I think that internationally it is agreed that for the most part customs and tariffs are not the problem anymore. So I don't believe that lowering tariffs will be such a big win for the UK. You now will have to spend the money on inspections, certificates, and testing as you will be losing the supply of European food, which is at the moment absolutely free of any extra costs such as tariffs, customs, fees, inspections, audits, certificates etc. I really do think it to be stupid ( sorry but I really do think it stupid) to get rid of the freest free trade agreement that exists on this planet because you support free trade.
Why will we be losing the supply of European food? Who said that, other than you?
Old Nov 10th 2017, 3:28 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by la mancha View Post
Why will we be losing the supply of European food? Who said that, other than you?
Could be we will not be able to afford it.

Interesting comment today up to 4 million unskilled jobs will be lost to automation.
So who will those who complained about EU migrants blame next ?
Old Nov 10th 2017, 4:09 pm
EU hoo

iano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond repute

I'm loving the latest withering look of contempt for poor old Delusional.

Old Nov 10th 2017, 4:25 pm
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR View Post
Could be we will not be able to afford it.

Interesting comment today up to 4 million unskilled jobs will be lost to automation.
On the other hand, I don't think 4 million robots will be clagging up the hospitals and schools or the buses and trains.
Old Nov 10th 2017, 4:31 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas View Post
On the other hand, I don't think 4 million robots will be clagging up the hospitals and schools or the buses and trains.
No they will be clagged up with the depressed unemployed living on state handouts.
Old Nov 10th 2017, 4:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

la mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond repute

No they will be clagged up with the depressed unemployed living on state handouts.
Ever heard of retraining?
Old Nov 10th 2017, 5:03 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Assanah View Post
Why do the EU apply a tariff in the SA free trade agreement if the growing seasons mean there will never be a cross-over of orange crops - that seems a strange thing to do?
Old Nov 10th 2017, 5:04 pm
EMR
Banned

Ever heard of retraining?
As what, there has been nothing to Stop those who you claim have been denied access to unskilled work by EU migrants from retraining for the last 10 years plus has there?
No excuse for not retraining .
Japan already has a very large % of its development budget being spent on automated and robotic systems for its growing care sector to look after its ageing population.
Old Nov 10th 2017, 5:05 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently the day after brexit the shutters come down. Alternatively the EU countries want to continue selling to their largest external market and we keep buying EU food, likely under a FTA.
Old Nov 10th 2017, 5:07 pm
Democracy advocate

So why would we want to continue importing migrants at a gross 650,000 (net 350,000) a year when we can see that mass unemployment due to enhanced robotics, AI and automation is just around the corner?
Old Nov 10th 2017, 5:33 pm
EMR
Banned

So why would we want to continue importing migrants at a gross 650,000 (net 350,000) a year when we can see that mass unemployment due to enhanced robotics, AI and automation is just around the corner?
Please explain "oh wise one " why any unskilled EU migrant would want to come to a UK where the jobs they used to do have been replaced by robotics and automation.
The new Amazon distribution centres will employ fewer many fewer as they increase new technology .
I suppose there will still be jobs for the UK unskilled where ever there is a Mac's, Nandos, Costa until they too are replaced by automated vending machines.
Where did you get your figures from, never had you down as an Express reader ?
Daily Mail. Maybe.
Old Nov 10th 2017, 5:51 pm
Democracy advocate

Please explain "oh wise one " why any unskilled EU migrant would want to come to a UK where the jobs they used to do have been replaced by robotics and automation.
The new Amazon distribution centres will employ fewer many fewer as they increase new technology .
I suppose there will still be jobs for the UK unskilled where ever there is a Mac's, Nandos, Costa until they too are replaced by automated vending machines.
Where did you get your figures from, never had you down as an Express reader ?
Daily Mail. Maybe.
"oh wise one" - what is it about remainiacs where they feel they need to spout their petulance, hate and ad-hominem the whole time?

I am talking about the current flows of mass migration that will still be living here when automation makes them unemployed - if we continued in the EU we will be admitting millions more working-age migrants who we will then need to pay benefits for as automation takes their jobs.

I get my data from the ONS. You should try it.
Old Nov 10th 2017, 6:08 pm
EMR
Banned

"oh wise one" - what is it about remainiacs where they feel they need to spout their petulance, hate and ad-hominem the whole time?

I am talking about the current flows of mass migration that will still be living here when automation makes them unemployed - if we continued in the EU we will be admitting millions more working-age migrants who we will then need to pay benefits for as automation takes their jobs.

I get my data from the ONS. You should try it.
You have not explained why EU migrants would want to come to or be needed in a UK with declining employment opportunities for the unskilled as automation and robotics gathers pace .
A trend that will also affect the unskilled , lacking qualifications UK Labour pool.

A Brexiter who quotes ONS figures, you are indeed a rare bird.
How do you feel about the latest figures that show a widening trade gap with exports to non EU countries declining as a % of exports.
Proof of the reliance the UK economy has on the EU.
The non EU world that is the " golden " opportunity for the UK economy according to Brexit.
Old Nov 10th 2017, 6:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

You have not explained why EU migrants would want to come to or be needed in a UK with declining employment opportunities for the unskilled as automation and robotics gathers pace .
A trend that will also affect the unskilled , lacking qualifications UK Labour pool.

A Brexiter who quotes ONS figures, you are indeed a rare bird.
How do you feel about the latest figures that show a widening trade gap with exports to non EU countries declining as a % of exports.
Proof of the reliance the UK economy has on the EU.
The non EU world that is the " golden " opportunity for the UK economy according to Brexit.
But this has nothing to do with Brexit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.