British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

jimenato Sep 1st 2016 9:32 am

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 12040972)
<yawn> "Open borders" refers to the ability for EU citizens to live and work in the UK without having to apply to do so through an immigration process.

So what's THAT got to do with cockneys being displaced by black people?

paulry Sep 1st 2016 9:38 am

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 12040974)
So what's THAT got to do with cockneys being displaced by black people?

:lol: Absolutely nothing - which is exactly the point I was making! :rofl:

I dunno what your obsession with black people is all about :confused:

Bipat Sep 1st 2016 9:44 am

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12040968)
How many more times??

The UK does not have an open border with the rest of the EU. Schengen countries have open borders between each other. The UK is not part of the Schengen Area and only has open borders within its own Common Travel Area.

European Commission - PRESS RELEASES - Press release - European Commission upholds free movement of people

Bipat Sep 1st 2016 9:48 am

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 12040970)
That's good. But even though the headline mentioned citizenship the scheme doesn't appear to provide a pathway to citizenship.

You will need to look up the details if you want to make use of the pathway!!
It was just a preliminary announcement by Arun Jaitley.

jimenato Sep 1st 2016 10:01 am

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 12040976)
:lol: Absolutely nothing - which is exactly the point I was making! :rofl:

I dunno what your obsession with black people is all about :confused:

You were the one who pointed out that cockneys are being displaced by black people - not me. I'm just pointing out that it has bugger all to do with the EU.


Originally Posted by paulry (Post 12040128)



For the first time ever, white Britons are a minority in London. This film delves into the lives of the dwindling cockney tribe of the East End as the

Dick Dasterdly Sep 1st 2016 10:06 am

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Assanah (Post 12040877)
Well, just the Germans don't see it quiet that way. Solid majority of the Germans are for punishing (sic!) the British only 18% are for a compromise. And Merkel is obligated to the Germans not to the Brits. As you like to stress all the time: it's the sovereignity, stupid.

Merkel has her own problems with an election coming up and her coalition partner threatening to pull the rug out from under her feet.

When Junkers vowed revenge immediately after the referendum she promptly told him to pipe down and not make waves.

Furthermore she made it clear there was no turning back and she wanted the Brexit process completed as quickly and smoothly as possible.

Dick Dasterdly Sep 1st 2016 10:08 am

re: Post EU Referendum
 
We should seize the benefits of Brexit sooner rather than later


"Over 20 years ago a similar Cabinet meeting was held to plan negotiations on the Maastricht treaty. John Major asked each of us to rate the proposals affecting our departments as “desirable”, “undesirable but tolerable”, or “unacceptable”. Not one minister – even the most Europhile – identified any item as desirable"

DaveLovesDee Sep 1st 2016 10:10 am

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 12040972)
<yawn> "Open borders" refers to the ability for EU citizens to live and work in the UK without having to apply to do so through an immigration process.

Open borders - The free movement of everyone including non-EU nationals) within the Schengen area.

EU free movement - The right of EU nationals and their family members to live and work in any EU member state.

One is not the other.

Red Eric Sep 1st 2016 1:19 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12040995)
Open borders - The free movement of everyone including non-EU nationals) within the Schengen area.

EU free movement - The right of EU nationals and their family members to live and work in any EU member state.

One is not the other.

Thanks DLD - saved me a bit of typing.

You'd have thought, after the number of times it has been explained on various threads but always to the same people, that they would have grasped the difference by now. Particularly Bipat - I thought ex students of law would be the keenest on the correct use of terminology, seeing as it's how confusion is avoided. I can understand the odd slip or carelessness, which are perfectly understandable and forgiveable. In this case though, due to the number of times it has been repeated and the sort of sources which consistently misuse the term (along with "open door immigration policy"), it seems to me as though the confusion is deliberate because by misusing the term "open borders", the idea that the UK is insecure as a result is introduced. Which of course, it isn't, although some of its inhabitants and former inhabitants certainly seem to be.

la mancha Sep 1st 2016 1:33 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12040508)
Hey - don't get upset with me just because you let the veil slip.

You were doing quite well disguising it until after the referendum result. But we agree on one thing at least - without the disgraceful Banks / Farage campaign the vote would probably have gone the other way.

You are desperately barking up the wrong tree. And you know it.

I am not upset, just amused that anyone can be so out of touch with reality. I shall repeat what you posted in case you forgot.

‘…that those most likely to vote Leave did so not because of problems caused by immigration in the areas where they live but because of the fear of what high levels of immigration might do.’

Might do? Might do? Where have you been the past ten years?

The vote went the way it did because of the disgraceful negativity of the Remain campaign and you and others like you can only blame yourselves for that. People saw through it. They saw through the negative comments and threats and scare stories from the media and politicians and from you and others like you, and they stuck two fingers up to the lot of you who think they know best. They saw through the personal insults and ridicule directed at the Farage and they did not like it. It was not only the Banks/Farage campaign: it was everything. They saw through the personal insults aimed at Johnson and other Leave campaigners and people did not like it. Because the insults and ridicule was all one way.

YOU and others like you are to blame for people voting ‘out’. No one else.

YOU and others like you educated the people you so despise because of their beliefs.

These people know what life is about. YOU and others like you did not give them enough credit for this. YOU and others like you think you know best. You still do.

Now we will leave the EU. Thanks!

Editha Sep 1st 2016 1:51 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12040993)
We should seize the benefits of Brexit sooner rather than later


"Over 20 years ago a similar Cabinet meeting was held to plan negotiations on the Maastricht treaty. John Major asked each of us to rate the proposals affecting our departments as “desirable”, “undesirable but tolerable”, or “unacceptable”. Not one minister – even the most Europhile – identified any item as desirable"

Huh? Maastricht sets out the criteria for joining the Euro. We've never joined the Euro. What on earth has this got to do with Brexit?

mfesharne Sep 1st 2016 1:52 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 
A few interesting stories in the papers today:

David Cameron and Jeremy Corbyn's EU referendum campaigning backfired and helped Brexit | Daily Mail Online

Theresa May tells Cabinet to seize the ‘opportunities’ of Brexit and make it a 'success' | Daily Mail Online

Now manufacturing defies gloomy post-Brexit forecasts with figures for August showing the biggest rise in activity for 25 YEARS | Daily Mail Online

There's also some good pieces in the media about the EU fining Ireland & Apple squillions for the sweetheart tax deal & others pointing out that when Junkers was PM of Luxembourg he gave sweetheart tax deals to a number of companies there.

Pot, kettle & black springs to mind. ;)

paulry Sep 1st 2016 1:58 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12041133)
Thanks DLD - saved me a bit of typing.

You'd have thought, after the number of times it has been explained on various threads but always to the same people, that they would have grasped the difference by now. Particularly Bipat - I thought ex students of law would be the keenest on the correct use of terminology, seeing as it's how confusion is avoided. I can understand the odd slip or carelessness, which are perfectly understandable and forgiveable. In this case though, due to the number of times it has been repeated and the sort of sources which consistently misuse the term (along with "open door immigration policy"), it seems to me as though the confusion is deliberate because by misusing the term "open borders", the idea that the UK is insecure as a result is introduced. Which of course, it isn't, although some of its inhabitants and former inhabitants certainly seem to be.

Open borders, free movement of people, etc, etc - for people like Bipat and I who don't depend on freedom of movement in Europe it really is quite irrelevant what the EU calls it and your hand-wringing over the differences is quite amusing when you know what we mean. Hopefully it'll all be simplified when everyone gets treated the same - irrespective of the part of the world they come from :thumbup:

Bipat Sep 1st 2016 2:07 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12041133)
Thanks DLD - saved me a bit of typing.

You'd have thought, after the number of times it has been explained on various threads but always to the same people, that they would have grasped the difference by now. Particularly Bipat - I thought ex students of law would be the keenest on the correct use of terminology, seeing as it's how confusion is avoided. I can understand the odd slip or carelessness, which are perfectly understandable and forgiveable. In this case though, due to the number of times it has been repeated and the sort of sources which consistently misuse the term (along with "open door immigration policy"), it seems to me as though the confusion is deliberate because by misusing the term "open borders", the idea that the UK is insecure as a result is introduced. Which of course, it isn't, although some of its inhabitants and former inhabitants certainly seem to be.

If you look back at the posts two separate issues were mentioned. One OP was referring to immigration issues. Another OP 'stated 'nothing to do with the EU'. My reply was that free movement of citizens is to do with the EU, I did not refer to borders. I put a suitable link.
The second issue was regarding immigration; there is a difference between the rules for EU and non EU immigrants.

Bipat Sep 1st 2016 2:13 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 12041168)
Open borders, free movement of people, etc, etc - for people like Bipat and I who don't depend on freedom of movement in Europe it really is quite irrelevant what the EU calls it and your hand-wringing over the differences is quite amusing when you know what we mean. Hopefully it'll all be simplified when everyone gets treated the same - irrespective of the part of the world they come from :thumbup:

Actually it would be useful!:lol::lol: It is such a complicated performance sponsoring visas for relatives from India when they visit us in UK. (We divide our time between the two countries!)


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:43 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.