British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

SultanOfSwing Oct 12th 2017 5:51 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by macliam (Post 12359643)
Not part of the GFA, it's always been your right (well, since partition anyway) - but move fast before there's a compulsory Polish test.....;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yuMdYKNyxo -
Slavs on the Shannon, who'da thought it? - always been baltic in the winter mind, sham...

My mistake, I thought that was enacted as part of the GFA, so I stand corrected.

You would be an Irish citizen, so she should have entitlement (and her kids too, unless they've changed the rules).

Not sure about her children (she can't pass on British citizenship to her children unless they are born there, for example) but it might be worthwhile at least getting her an Irish passport, just in case.

That was always the case - and, just as with the GFA, the Republic would need to change it's constitution - so another referendum there!

Makes you wonder what everyone's worried about. Sinn Fein can't just reunite Ireland on a whim, so there's no need for them and the DUP to be locked in stalemate all the time.

Typical northerner! Comes late to the party and still leaves the door open! Tá failte romhat! :D

I also put brown sauce on my sausage rolls. Don't keep my toaster in my cupboard though - how's that for cross community relations?

macliam Oct 12th 2017 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12359651)
Not sure about her children (she can't pass on British citizenship to her children unless they are born there, for example) but it might be worthwhile at least getting her an Irish passport, just in case.

Worth checking - you used to be able to claim if you had an Irish grandparent..... hence my comment. The UK rules changed a few years back and are weird - my friend's daughter, born in London, educated in London, now 16, is still Portuguese.......:huh:

Makes you wonder what everyone's worried about. Sinn Fein can't just reunite Ireland on a whim, so there's no need for them and the DUP to be locked in stalemate all the time.

Federal Republic of 4 provinces, says I ...... capital in Galway just to annoy the jackeens.:sneaky:

I also put brown sauce on my sausage rolls. Don't keep my toaster in my cupboard though - how's that for cross community relations?

What you do in private is your own affair! Ye nearly had me there, but years in the UK mean I have my translator handy...
Bacon = Rashers
Plimsolls = Tackies
Shopping = Messages
Cupboard = Press;)

SultanOfSwing Oct 12th 2017 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by macliam (Post 12359667)
Worth checking - you used to be able to claim if you had an Irish grandparent..... hence my comment. The UK rules changed a few years back and are weird - my friend's daughter, born in London, educated in London, now 16, is still Portuguese.......:huh:

Either way, I will probably at the very least get one for myself.

Federal Republic of 4 provinces, says I ...... capital in Galway just to annoy the jackeens.:sneaky:

I always thought the folks in Galway/Cork/Limerick were against the idea of a united Ireland, because of the increased relevance of the Dublin-Belfast corridor, with Belfast being the second largest city and the M1-N1-A1 link for trade, etc.

They should have the capital in Carrick, anyway, just for shits n' grins.

What you do in private is your own affair! Ye nearly had me there, but years in the UK mean I have my translator handy...
Bacon = Rashers
Plimsolls = Tackies
Shopping = Messages
Cupboard = Press;)

Plimsolls were always guddies in my house. The (hot)press was a different cupboard to the ones in the kitchen that I was referring to. We never had a pantry, you see.

One thing we can all enjoy the entire island over is a nice cup of tea. G'wan, g'wan, g'wan, g'wan, G'WAAAAAAAN.

Shard Oct 12th 2017 7:51 pm

Not usually a fan of Giles Fraser, but this piece explains part of the Brexit vote. The disaffected part.

The Guardian: Still puzzled by the Brexit vote? Take yourself off to Blakenall Heath.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/belief/2017/oct/12/still-puzzled-by-the-brexit-vote-take-yourself-off-to-blakenall-heath

DaveLovesDee Oct 12th 2017 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12359738)
Not usually a fan of Giles Fraser, but this piece explains part of the Brexit vote. The disaffected part.

The Guardian: Still puzzled by the Brexit vote? Take yourself off to Blakenall Heath.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...lakenall-heath

Some Brexiters won't care. They'll either have enough money to be insulated from any major Brexit problems, live outside the UK, or already be so poor that they believed Brexit will make their lives much better.

Annetje Oct 12th 2017 8:59 pm

Not familiar with the Sun or the GFA, I wonder if there might be any truth in this article ?

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/466945...e-foster-vows/

macliam Oct 12th 2017 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by Annetje (Post 12359796)
Not familiar with the Sun or the GFA, I wonder if there might be any truth in this article ?

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/466945...e-foster-vows/

I still find it strange that the DUP are so adamant on no hard border - yes, it makes economic sense - yes, it upholds the spirit of the GFA ..... but their forebears were happy enough to isolate NI from the "corruption" of the South.

After all, this is a party created by a man who said the European Economic Community was part of a "papal plot" and the "bride of the anti-Christ." Like Farage, he still took his seat and the money though.......

Annetje Oct 12th 2017 9:31 pm

Might this spell trouble for May though ? Did she waist a lot of money there ?

amideislas Oct 13th 2017 7:33 am

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12358288)
Not quite right.

If you wanted to work in another European country, you needed a work permit (and usually a job offer). The EU made doing so much easier by making as easy as looking for a job in your home country.

The problem for some Leavers came when large numbers of East European nationals gained the rights to live and work in other EU countries. Especially when the UK decided not to implement most of the controls they could have imposed (and which other countries did impose).

It's not a divorce. The bill is to cover things like money the UK had agreed to pay up til the end of the current funding cycle in 2022 (which has been allocated to projects within that timescale), and the future pensions of UK MEPs.

The ECJ is the arbiter of EU rights for anyone in the EU, Brit or not. It makes sense for them to continue to safeguard the rights of EU nationals given that one of the UK government's intentions is to be able to wipe out any former EU law they choose to, without Parliamentary agreement.

Your UK Supreme Court argument for UK nationals abroad is a straw-man argument.

For all intents and purposes, there is no border there now other than a few signs stating the you're entering whichever country you're going to, and reminding drivers that the speed limits are in mph/km (as appropriate).

You're suggesting that Ireland effectively leaves the EU as the UK does. When did they give the UK the right to decide that? When, even, did they ask their own residents?

One reason why the EU cannot simply give the UK all it wants on any verbal assurances alone is known as "moral hazard". The UK has repeatedly exhibited the will to change its mind abruptly and without regard to any of its obligations. There is no reason to believe that whatever deal is agreed, that the UK will live up to whatever it agrees to.

It's worth pointing out that the world is in fact watching the UK with interest. If the UK refuses to live up to its obligations, you can expect further declines in credit rating. And as the UK appears to be depending on credit ("other people's money", "the kindness of strangers") for its future, its credit rating will have significant impact on the UK's ability to acquire external funding at sustainable cost.

InVinoVeritas Oct 13th 2017 8:19 am

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12359992)
One reason why the EU cannot simply give the UK all it wants on any verbal assurances alone is known as "moral hazard". The UK has repeatedly exhibited the will to change its mind abruptly and without regard to any of its obligations. There is no reason to believe that whatever deal is agreed, that the UK will live up to whatever it agrees to.

It's worth pointing out that the world is in fact watching the UK with interest. If the UK refuses to live up to its obligations, you can expect further declines in credit rating. And as the UK appears to be depending on credit ("other people's money", "the kindness of strangers") for its future, its credit rating will have significant impact on the UK's ability to acquire external funding at sustainable cost.

Have the EU provided anything by way of a verifiable expense claim for what they are seeking from the UK? I would certainly expect a credit downgrade of the UK if they handed over billions while under duress from the EU.

Garbatellamike Oct 13th 2017 8:23 am

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12359992)

I think your first para is a bit one sided tbh. However, I think you have hit the nail on the head with your second paragraph. Gormless Gordon's reckless borrowing, which the toffee-nosed git Osborne massively failed to do anything about, leaves UK heavily indebted and vulnerable to falls in credit rating with a concomitant increase in interest rates on our unsustainable borrowing. Luckily, no one is proposing we go on a massive borrowing spree to make things even worse..........

EMR Oct 13th 2017 8:26 am

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12360013)
I think your first para is a bit one sided tbh. However, I think you have hit the nail on the head with your second paragraph. Gormless Gordon's reckless borrowing, which the toffee-nosed git Osborne massively failed to do anything about, leaves UK heavily indebted and vulnerable to falls in credit rating with a concomitant increase in interest rates on our unsustainable borrowing. Luckily, no one is proposing we go on a massive borrowing spree to make things even worse..........

Have you never heard of austerity and the Osborne policy of Deficit reduction.
It is Hammond who is departing from the deficit reduction policies of Osborne.

Garbatellamike Oct 13th 2017 8:28 am

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas (Post 12360009)
Have the EU provided anything by way of a verifiable expense claim for what they are seeking from the UK? I would certainly expect a credit downgrade of the UK if they handed over billions while under duress from the EU.

As I understand it, in the "technical talks" between officials, the EU has presented a massive bill, which the UK officials are working through line-by-line. There are allegedly some ridiculous demands in their as well as the logical ones which is all part of the negotiating games being played.

Annetje Oct 13th 2017 11:42 am

Brexit: Ministers try to push through plans for £100m royal yacht as EU talks remain deadlocked | The Independent

Money tree on the horizon ...
:lol:

Shard Oct 13th 2017 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by Annetje (Post 12360087)

:lol: