British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

SultanOfSwing Oct 11th 2017 8:20 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12358918)
No problems with freedom of movement remaining with an EU member and all citizens of other EU members who enter the UK via NI.
There is no border control between the North and mainland UK .

I, personally, don't have any problems with it, no.

A closed border between Ireland and NI is not supported, as far as I am aware, by either the British or the Irish government, however. The understanding I have is that the CTA is to be preserved.

EMR Oct 11th 2017 8:23 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12358925)
I, personally, don't have any problems with it, no.

A closed border between Ireland and NI is not supported, as far as I am aware, by either the British or the Irish government, however. The understanding I have is that the CTA is to be preserved.

I certainly have no problem.But someone does otherwise it would still not be one of the items to be agreed before trade talks can start.

SultanOfSwing Oct 11th 2017 8:27 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12358927)
I certainly have no problem.But someone does otherwise it would still not be one of the items to be agreed before trade talks can start.

It's OK, I imagine we still have another 5 years or so before it becomes a real issue anyway ...

DaveLovesDee Oct 11th 2017 9:12 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12358925)
I, personally, don't have any problems with it, no.

A closed border between Ireland and NI is not supported, as far as I am aware, by either the British or the Irish government, however. The understanding I have is that the CTA is to be preserved.

The problem is that EU law requires member states to have a hard border with neighbouring non-EU countries. That was part of the issue when refugee/migrants crossed from Turkey to the Greek islands.

Had non_EU East Europeans been able to freely cross into the EU to add to the A8 nationals moving to Western Europe for work, the likes of Farage and Hopkins would have been even more outraged.

I'm all for continuing the current border agreement, and think the most sensible option is to move the immigration and customs to everything crossing the Irish Sea. Obviously this means those travelling to/from NI will be checked as though they were travelling internationally, but it wouldn't likely affect the GFA, would it?

SultanOfSwing Oct 11th 2017 9:20 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12358952)
The problem is that EU law requires member states to have a hard border with neighbouring non-EU countries. That was part of the issue when refugee/migrants crossed from Turkey to the Greek islands.

Had non_EU East Europeans been able to freely cross into the EU to add to the A8 nationals moving to Western Europe for work, the likes of Farage and Hopkins would have been even more outraged.

I'm all for continuing the current border agreement, and think the most sensible option is to move the immigration and customs to everything crossing the Irish Sea. Obviously this means those travelling to/from NI will be checked as though they were travelling internationally, but it wouldn't likely affect the GFA, would it?

I have a simpler solution, but it might not be well received :lol:

I don't know exactly how it would affect the GFA. I guess if you live in NI, then the solution is to get both an Irish passport and a British passport and v-signs to the shitstains who have put the UK and Ireland in this joke of a situation in the first place.

macliam Oct 11th 2017 9:26 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12358952)
I'm all for continuing the current border agreement, and think the most sensible option is to move the immigration and customs to everything crossing the Irish Sea. Obviously this means those travelling to/from NI will be checked as though they were travelling internationally, but it wouldn't likely affect the GFA, would it?

Slaps head! I'll leave it to SoS to explain the impact of that move.........:eek:
The Loyalists already think they've been shafted, now you suggest treating them as foreigners whilst they're still wrapped up in the Union flag.:blink:

The CTA is a problem, a closed border is a problem, the GFA is a problem, "isolating" NI from RoUK is a problem (oh, and it isn't "Ulster" by the way - Ulster is a historical Irish province of 9 counties, only 6 of which form NI). The border is a minefield (not literally...) and I find it hard to envision a solution that won't upset someone ...... and even harder to believe that the muppets designing Brexit will come close.

macliam Oct 11th 2017 9:30 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12358961)
I have a simpler solution, but it might not be well received :lol:

I don't know exactly how it would affect the GFA. I guess if you live in NI, then the solution is to get both an Irish passport and a British passport and v-signs to the shitstains who have put the UK and Ireland in this joke of a situation in the first place.

..... and, of course, if born on the island of Ireland, you are automatically entitled to an Irish passport - so good for the North, but not the other way around.:unsure:

Having said which, the sight of an Orange band travelling on paddy books would be a sight to behold!!:sneaky:

DaveLovesDee Oct 11th 2017 9:44 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12358961)
I have a simpler solution, but it might not be well received :lol:

Me too! Stop Brexit.....

Brexit is a lose-lose situation for everyone, but for the Northern Irish and Gibraltarians especially. Nothing good is going to come of it.


Originally Posted by macliam (Post 12358964)
Slaps head! I'll leave it to SoS to explain the impact of that move.........:eek:
The Loyalists already think they've been shafted, now you suggest treating them as foreigners whilst they're still wrapped up in the Union flag.:blink:

The CTA is a problem, a closed border is a problem, the GFA is a problem, "isolating" NI from RoUK is a problem (oh, and it isn't "Ulster" by the way - Ulster is a historical Irish province of 9 counties, only 6 of which form NI). The border is a minefield (not literally...) and I find it hard to envision a solution that won't upset someone ...... and even harder to believe that the muppets designing Brexit will come close.

I agree with you, but if Brexit happens, I was outlining a potential option. But whatever happens, the public in Northern Ireland must have their say in their future.

mrken30 Oct 11th 2017 10:40 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 
Why can't there be a referendum in NI to choose between the UK or EU? If they secede and join the EU, problem solved.

Garbatellamike Oct 11th 2017 11:01 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by mrken30 (Post 12359000)
Why can't there be a referendum in NI to choose between the UK or EU? If they secede and join the EU, problem solved.

cos that is not how the majority wou'd vote - problem made worse, tension and violence increased

mrken30 Oct 11th 2017 11:03 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12359010)
cos that is not how the majority wou'd vote - problem made worse, tension and violence increased

You mean like it was in the good times, in the 70's? Before the UK joined the EU, times were great for everyone. :sarcasm:

Garbatellamike Oct 11th 2017 11:08 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by mrken30 (Post 12359011)
You mean like it was in the good times, in the 70's? Before the UK joined the EU, times were great for everyone.

no that is not what I mean at all

mrken30 Oct 11th 2017 11:12 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12359014)
no that is not what I mean at all

I thought that is what the Brexiters wanted

Garbatellamike Oct 11th 2017 11:15 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by mrken30 (Post 12359015)
I thought that is what the Brexiters wanted

that is possibly true but not being one I can't comment. You might want to ask a Brexiter that question.....

Shard Oct 12th 2017 8:13 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 
Lots of Remainers on this thread. Wondering what you think about the mass migration of Eastern Europeans that has partially precipitated this Brexit issue. News reported 420,000 Bulgarian and Romanians since 2014. As a pro-EU person, I like FOM, but I do feel conflicted in terms of the sheer numbers that come to the UK.


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:32 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.