British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Bipat Sep 30th 2017 11:28 am

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by 007Steve (Post 12350415)
No, Bipat, I'm not saying that.
I'm just saying that, my take on this is, that a nation-state can't segregate itself and ignore development on the basis of self-reliance. It can't rely on returning to a national model that was (imo, defective) in its time, and now hope something will come along to make it work out, post Brexit.
I face the fact that Brexit will happen and is irreversible. That doesn't make it a political success.

I agree but the increased powers of the ECJ following the Lisbon Treaty, the creeping federalisation is segregating the UK to some extent from the rest of the world.
A world with social, economic, cultural, artistic, political associations with the UK which will increase over the coming decades.

EMR Sep 30th 2017 11:28 am

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12350425)
Yes when it is no longer just a trade association.

Tell that to the billions invested in the UK and the millions employed because of our membership of what you keep suggesting is not a trade association.
Continuance of that trade is now the number 1 priority for the government much to the annoyance of the more narrow minded br3xiters.

Bipat Sep 30th 2017 11:31 am

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12350432)
Tell that to the billions invested in the UK and the millions employed because of our membership of what you keep suggesting is not a trade association.
Continuance of that trade is now the number 1 priority for the government much to the annoyance of the more narrow minded br3xiters.

As I have said so often EMR do you read posts?
I said no longer JUST a trade association.

DaveLovesDee Sep 30th 2017 11:47 am

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12350425)
Yes when it is no longer just a trade association.

But the UK government appears to continue to want many of the benefits of membership after we leave.

EMR Sep 30th 2017 11:48 am

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12350433)
As I have said so often EMR do you read posts?
I said no longer JUST a trade association.

I know what you posted but I am only interested in the prosperity of the UK and it's people's not those things you dislike about the EU
Because of what you and others dislike about the EU you are prepared to risk all the benefits including trade, investment, employment etc
Can you assure anyone that losing those benefits of trade will not be a backwards step for the UK.

Bipat Sep 30th 2017 11:59 am

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12350438)
I know what you posted but I am only interested in the prosperity of the UK and it's people's not those things you dislike about the EU
Because of what you and others dislike about the EU you are prepared to risk all the benefits including trade, investment, employment etc
Can you assure anyone that losing those benefits of trade will not be a backwards step for the UK.

The UK is not going to stop trading with the EU.
Non-EU countries also invest and job create in the UK. and this will increase in the future, their economies are not standing still are they?

Red Eric Sep 30th 2017 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12350431)
A world with social, economic, cultural, artistic, political associations with the UK which will increase over the coming decades.

Oh dear. That's not going to please the people who voted leave to "protect British culture and values".

I agree but the increased powers of the ECJ following the Lisbon Treaty, the creeping federalisation is segregating the UK to some extent from the rest of the world.
Do you get paid every time you use that phrase? :lol:

EMR Sep 30th 2017 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12350440)
The UK is not going to stop trading with the EU.
Non-EU countries also invest and job create in the UK. and this will increase in the future, their economies are not standing still are they?

Are we going to keep ALL the current trade benefits.
IF not then the prosperity and people of the UK will be affected.
I did not vote for that, did you ?
Countries only invest in a growing economy where they can see benefits such as EU membership.
That will end as the UK loses economic influence as is already happening.
Where is the new JLR factory, not in the UK but in the EU.

Expatrick Sep 30th 2017 12:40 pm

Let's hope the hoped for FTA with India is just that and no more than that.

Shard Sep 30th 2017 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12350410)
We are leaving membership of a particular trade association consisting of 27 of European countries.

Are you saying we had no social, economic, cultural, artistic, political etc. associations with those European countries before the EU was founded in 1993?

Sorry to burst your balloon, but I don't think we're leaving. Little has been accomplished thus far, the Tories lack credibility, Labour is gaining credibility, and a once preposterous second referendum is now being openly discussed. We'll explore this ill conceived future for another year, and then revote and recommit to a slightly reformed EU.

Bipat Sep 30th 2017 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by Expatrick (Post 12350451)
Let's hope the hoped for FTA with India is just that and no more than that.

I don't think within our lifetime India's legal system will be supreme over that of that UK! Also India would never allow free movement of citizens from the UK.

EMR Sep 30th 2017 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12350470)
I don't think within our lifetime India's legal system will be supreme over that of that UK! Also India would never allow free movement of citizens from the UK.

What has that got to do with Brexit and the UK.
India need not worry about UK free movement it is the other way round that concerns the UK brexit voter who wants all immigration reduced.

Jerseygirl Sep 30th 2017 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12350471)

Exactly.

Please post comments about India in the following forum. Thanks.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/take-...ad-2-a-892107/

Bipat Sep 30th 2017 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12350471)
India need not worry about UK free movement it is the other way round that concerns the UK brexit voter who wants all immigration reduced.

I was answering the above post (Expatrick).

India certainly worries about free movement of citizens from the UK, for several reasons which needn't be discussed here.

Bipat Sep 30th 2017 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12350473)
Please post comments about India in the following forum. Thanks.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/take-...ad-2-a-892107/

If a poster mentions India in the context future trade-- a reasonable thing to do when they will be an important post Brexit trading partner, is it forbidden to reply?
Can you tell me why there is such discrimination regarding one country and not USA for example?