British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

mfesharne Aug 30th 2016 10:04 am

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12038685)
How many times does it have to be said? The HRA and ECHR are not related to the EU.
Theresa May has complained many times that the ECHR (the Convention) needs to be updated or she would consider withdrawal. However it would cause other countries to mention hypocrisy when the UK criticises their human rights.

I beg to differ on the HRA which the UK is bound to enforce by EU law. Once independent of the EU, it can scrap the act & replace it with whatever it likes.

But if you think otherwise: Why?

As for the ECHR: Are you talking court or convention because I'm talking court & mean an independent UK doesn't have to be bound by it because it'll no longer be part of the EU.

As for the convention itself it is indeed outdated & the UK could withdraw as you say & frankly, why should the independent UK care if other countries disapprove?

EMR Aug 30th 2016 10:28 am

re: Post EU Referendum
 
Odd how those from regimes where human rights were abused are keen to see the UK withdraw from the HRA and ECHR.

EMR Aug 30th 2016 10:34 am

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12038681)
The very obvious flaw in that argument is that none of those things can even begin to happen until Brexit is complete because until then, the UK is ruled by the EU but it cannot be denied a lot of countries are already expressing interest in doing deals with the newly independent UK.

Brexiters voted for Brexit & won the referendum & the point of Brexit is exactly that. Therefore the next logical step is to trigger A50 & get on with the negotiations but no matter what happens in those negotiations, Brexit must happen & only after it's completed can the UK begin to make it's own laws.

Simple really.

Dream on, you obviously fell for all the UKip crap propoganda.



Over 90 percent of every day UK law is unrelated to the EU and passed in the UK parliament.
Brexit will not be what you want and no doubt you and other outers will spend the next 10 years plus complaining about it.

The idea of an esta which is charged would be a good idea as the money could go to the NHS because as we know the brexit claims about more money for the NHS were a huge pile of steaming lies.

jimenato Aug 30th 2016 10:34 am

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12038726)
I beg to differ on the HRA which the UK is bound to enforce by EU law. Once independent of the EU, it can scrap the act & replace it with whatever it likes.

But if you think otherwise: Why?

As for the ECHR: Are you talking court or convention because I'm talking court & mean an independent UK doesn't have to be bound by it because it'll no longer be part of the EU.

As for the convention itself it is indeed outdated & the UK could withdraw as you say & frankly, why should the independent UK care if other countries disapprove?

AS Bipat said - the ECHR (court) has nothing to do with the EU.

I am unsure about the HRA however factcheck says this which seems straightforward...


The Human Rights Act is also separate from the EU

paulry Aug 30th 2016 10:40 am

re: Post EU Referendum
 
What a bloke! :thumbsup:


mfesharne Aug 30th 2016 10:44 am

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 12038750)
AS Bipat said - the ECHR (court) has nothing to do with the EU.

I am unsure about the HRA however factcheck says this which seems straightforward...

As I understand it, the convention itself has nothing to do with the EU as such but the court does. However, once out of the EU the newly independent UK would no longer be legally bound by the Court's decisions/requirements etc.

withdrawal from the convention is a different matter but could happen.

The HRA is EU legislation & the UK is currently bound by it but can get rid of it post Brexit.

jimenato Aug 30th 2016 11:08 am

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12038759)
As I understand it, the convention itself has nothing to do with the EU as such but the court does. However, once out of the EU the newly independent UK would no longer be legally bound by the Court's decisions/requirements etc.

withdrawal from the convention is a different matter but could happen.

The HRA is EU legislation & the UK is currently bound by it but can get rid of it post Brexit.

You understand wrong - as I said most leavers don't have much clue about Europe the EU and its institutions. Perhaps if they had known they would have voted differently - still - it's too late for that.

jimenato Aug 30th 2016 11:09 am

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 12038757)

You're dribbling.

mfesharne Aug 30th 2016 11:18 am

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 12038776)
You understand wrong - as I said most leavers don't have much clue about Europe the EU and its institutions. Perhaps if they had known they would have voted differently - still - it's too late for that.

I don't think I do understand wrong....... But you're correct in that it's too late to change the fact the UK will withdraw from the EU.

jimenato Aug 30th 2016 11:27 am

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12038788)
I don't think I do understand wrong....... But you're correct in that it's too late to change the fact the UK will withdraw from the EU.

You do understand wrong. The European Court of Human Rights is nothing to do with the EU and the HRA is UK legislation.

Face it - you voted the way you did because you didn't understand.

mfesharne Aug 30th 2016 12:09 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 12038797)
You do understand wrong. The European Court of Human Rights is nothing to do with the EU and the HRA is UK legislation.

Face it - you voted the way you did because you didn't understand.

I believe my previous comment is correct but feel free to think otherwise if it suits you.

Either way, I'm glad to say it doesn't alter the fact that I and a significant majority of the electorate that voted to leave won the referendum whether you & the minority that voted to remain like it or not.

So get over it because all the whinging in the world won't make an iota of difference.

:britflag::britflag::britflag::britflag:

EMR Aug 30th 2016 12:14 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12038823)
I believe my previous comment is correct but feel free to think otherwise if it suits you.

Either way, I'm glad to say it doesn't alter the fact that I and a significant majority of the electorate that voted to leave won the referendum whether you & the minority that voted to remain like it or not.

So get over it because all the whinging in the world won't make an iota of difference.

:britflag::britflag::britflag::britflag:

A south African living in Portugal abusing the union flag.

Brexit may have won the referendum but it did not have anything in it about what brexit will mean, you are going to be one unhappy brexiter when the dust finally settles.
Says it all .

Lion in Winter Aug 30th 2016 12:26 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12038823)
a significant majority of the electorate that voted to leave won the referendum:

Actually no, it wasn't. 52% of 72% of the electorate voted to leave.

Poor maths. I blame the EU.

Assanah Aug 30th 2016 12:30 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12038823)
I believe my previous comment is correct but feel free to think otherwise if it suits you.

Either way, I'm glad to say it doesn't alter the fact that I and a significant majority of the electorate that voted to leave won the referendum whether you & the minority that voted to remain like it or not.

So get over it because all the whinging in the world won't make an iota of difference.

:britflag::britflag::britflag::britflag:

No, your comment is not correct. But it doesn't really matter to you anyway, does it?

mfesharne Aug 30th 2016 12:31 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12038849)
Actually no, it wasn't. 52% of 72% of the electorate voted to leave.

Poor maths. I blame the EU.

Actually a majority of 1269501 & as a majority of just 1 is enough to win, that's a significant majority. :rofl:


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:06 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.