Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Post EU Referendum

Post EU Referendum

Old Aug 13th 2017, 7:33 pm
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Annetje View Post
Looks like all the older Brexiteers are trying to leave the sinking ship ...

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...e_iOSApp_Other

Originally Posted by Expatrick View Post
To be countered by Brexiteer expats moving back to the promised land?
None of them has the slightest desire to, though - that's the odd thing as far as I'm concerned. And there's absolutely no guarantee that those making the move to other EU member states didn't vote to leave, either
Old Aug 13th 2017, 8:03 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Are they not more likely to be older remainers? Or am I missing something?
Old Aug 13th 2017, 9:01 pm
Preparing to move again

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
None of them has the slightest desire to, though - that's the odd thing as far as I'm concerned. And there's absolutely no guarantee that those making the move to other EU member states didn't vote to leave, either
Originally Posted by Garbatellamike View Post
Are they not more likely to be older remainers? Or am I missing something?
Ok, sorry, got carried away there ...
Old Aug 13th 2017, 9:16 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, sorry, got carried away there ...
thanks
Old Aug 14th 2017, 10:19 am
EU hoo

iano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond repute

Could well be a rash move depending how messy it all gets. The UK has proposed 'settled resident status' only for those EU citizens with 5 years continuous legal residence, and if the EU reciprocates ?

A non-EU residence permit for retirees in Spain demands proof of an annual income of around 32,000 euros per couple..ouch.
Old Aug 14th 2017, 12:40 pm
Forum Regular

SilviaAlgarve is just really niceSilviaAlgarve is just really niceSilviaAlgarve is just really niceSilviaAlgarve is just really niceSilviaAlgarve is just really niceSilviaAlgarve is just really niceSilviaAlgarve is just really niceSilviaAlgarve is just really nice

Originally Posted by iano View Post
Could well be a rash move depending how messy it all gets. The UK has proposed 'settled resident status' only for those EU citizens with 5 years continuous legal residence, and if the EU reciprocates ?

A non-EU residence permit for retirees in Spain demands proof of an annual income of around 32,000 euros per couple..ouch.
Do you know how much it is for Portugal?
I can't find the answer anywhere.
Old Aug 14th 2017, 1:42 pm
EU hoo

iano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SilviaAlgarve View Post
Found this for US retirees (July 2016), so assuming all third country (non-EU) citizens are treated the same:

Proof of Financial Means / Proof of Sufficient Funds: What constitutes 'sufficient' varies; some Consulates have required that each applicant has 50,000€ available in any combination of accounts, income and savings while others have requested proof of at least the equivalent of 40€ of funds per day for each day you'll be in Portugal plus 75.00€ per entry into the country.

Assuming the 40€ is pppd then for a couple that equates to 28,480€ per annum. Ouch !

Expat Exchange - United States Citizens Moving to Portugal: Demystifying the Paper Trail - Moving to Portugal, Porgual Residency Visa
Old Aug 14th 2017, 7:40 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Originally Posted by iano View Post

yes indeed - the EU doesn't seem to want a reciprical agreement but sees Brits in EU countries as a bargaining chip - good job Keir Starmer isn't leading the UK team else we'd have real problems......
Old Aug 14th 2017, 7:44 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Anyway after the ~Big Ben announcement today, Mrs Merkel has said this:
Wait, the British think they can organise the whole of Brexit in 18 months when it takes them 4 years just to fix a clock?

For those unsure - the above is a joke (and not mine originally)
Old Aug 14th 2017, 8:08 pm
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

yes indeed - the EU doesn't seem to want a reciprical agreement but sees Brits in EU countries as a bargaining chip - good job Keir Starmer isn't leading the UK team else we'd have real problems......
Go on, then. I'll rise to the provocation.

How do you arrive at that when the EU appears to have done so much more to address the concerns of ordinary citizens on either side and their starting point is that all currrent rights ought to be preserved in perpetuity for anybody already resident, whereas the UK starting point is to reduce rights for EU citizens resident in the UK and who-knows-what regarding their ongoing responsibilities towards expat Brits residing in the EU?

I'm very sorry to have to say that as I suspected all along would be the case, the EU seems the better bet when it comes to preservation of our rights.
Old Aug 14th 2017, 8:11 pm
Dedicated European

Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute

How do you arrive at that when the EU appears to have done so much more to address the concerns of ordinary citizens on either side and their starting point is that all currrent rights ought to be preserved in perpetuity for anybody already resident, whereas the UK starting point is to reduce rights for EU citizens resident in the UK and who-knows-what regarding their ongoing responsibilities towards expat Brits residing in the EU?

I'm very sorry to have to say that as I suspected all along would be the case, the EU seems the better bet when it comes to preservation of our rights.
Old Aug 14th 2017, 8:34 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Well let me see:

one side offered an immediate reciprical arrangement
the other side turned it down and insisted it should be part of the overall deal thereby prolonging the uncertainty
that other side's first offer just offers you residence in the country you are current lt in making you 2nd class citizens

one side wants a simple equal solution the other wants to bargain with your rights.......
Old Aug 14th 2017, 8:48 pm
Banned

007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SilviaAlgarve View Post
However much it is, just remember which side has decided to sell you down the river as part of their 'safeguarding UK residents overseas' pledge.
Future 3rd class emigre status; - Count on it.
Old Aug 14th 2017, 9:36 pm
Who - me?

Well let me see:

one side offered an immediate reciprical arrangement
the other side turned it down and insisted it should be part of the overall deal thereby prolonging the uncertainty
that other side's first offer just offers you residence in the country you are current lt in making you 2nd class citizens

one side wants a simple equal solution the other wants to bargain with your rights.......
The UK's pretence of wanting to get the issue settled by starting early on a reciprocal arrangement was a bit of sleight of hand aimed at disguising their intent to reduce rights. Admittedly it appears to have worked on its intended audience but it's not at all convincing in the face of the EU's opening stance of guaranteeing all rights (going way beyond the simple right to continue residing), in full and in perpetuity.

I don't know what on earth gives rise to the "2nd class citizens" idea in the light of that although I do fully agree with your last sentence
Old Aug 14th 2017, 10:06 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

The UK's pretence of wanting to get the issue settled by starting early on a reciprocal arrangement was a bit of sleight of hand aimed at disguising their intent to reduce rights. Admittedly it appears to have worked on its intended audience but it's not at all convincing in the face of the EU's opening stance of guaranteeing all rights (going way beyond the simple right to continue residing), in full and in perpetuity.

I don't know what on earth gives rise to the "2nd class citizens" idea in the light of that although I do fully agree with your last sentence
try reading my post again and it may help your confusion

If it helps the EU negotiators have moved on from the EU's opening stance but hopefully it is just a bargaining ploy - I think the sooner the uncertainty is ended the better -

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.