Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Post EU Referendum

Post EU Referendum

Old Aug 2nd 2017, 1:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
It probably is if, say, you get one for travel and you're subsequently refused entry to the country it's been issued for. Or if you pay several hundred quid to go into a kind of resident visa lottery and, after months of delay, you draw a blank.
Why would you be refused entry if you have a valid visa? I don't know that is why I am asking.

Which visa lottery are you thinking of?
Old Aug 2nd 2017, 1:28 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bipat View Post
We do not yet know what the outcome will be? The issue of seasonal workers is important and they will obviously come from nearby countries. However in general the country of origin should be irrelevant.
Have you mutated into an Australian?

Indeed we don't know what the outcome will be but rest assured, you'll be in favour of it when we do. That's what I meant about the Jimenato Phenomenon. You've just gone another step towards it there with the "in general the country of origin should be irrelevant" on top of the special exemption for seasonal workers. Shall we have another special category for students and another for young people who aren't students nor have a specific job lined up?
Old Aug 2nd 2017, 1:37 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Annetje View Post
And what about these people who bought a house in the EU with the idea of retiring there ? I assume these are not all Elites.
There'll almost certainly be a few who may have been able to afford to buy a property at some point but won't meet the sort of retirement income criteria mentioned by iano, I'll be bound.
Old Aug 2nd 2017, 1:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
It's pronounced
Spoiler:
Southampton!
That's not how you spell Portsmouth?
Old Aug 2nd 2017, 1:39 pm
Polished expat

Why would you be refused entry if you have a valid visa? I don't know that is why I am asking.
Because having a valid visa isn't in itself sufficient to get you past border control (I thought we'd done this one before).
Old Aug 2nd 2017, 1:40 pm
Reasonable Bitch

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

You mean your post 20527---yes I absolutely agree with you.

(As an aside I agree with you about some /people/tourists and many expats, otherwise why would there be a need for this Forum?
(I discovered it by accident and was appalled at some posts--and due to lack of sense--I still post!)
To equate these people with the entire British population is quite wrong.
To be concerned about population levels, schools/housing etc. is not being anti-immigrant.
I could write a book about the incidents my family and people I have worked with have suffered--but as I said the majority of people are not as that.
Good job I didn't equate "the entire population" then.

Nonetheless, the xenophobic rhetoric emulating from that little island has become legendary, particularly since the referendum, where the expression of xenophobic rhetoric became a national obsession. Please review the headlines in Britain's most consumed media for some clues about this.

Naturally, none of that is really xenophobia. That would be beneath us. No, it's merely a "concern" about the large number of foreigners living in Britain (most of which a result of ->UK<- immigration policy, nothing to do with the EU). But then, Brits are apparently above arrogance, too. And hypocrisy. Nope, wasn't me.
Old Aug 2nd 2017, 1:42 pm
EU hoo

iano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond repute

End of an idyll: how the sun went down on Britain's retirement dream
Old Aug 2nd 2017, 1:50 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
But mine sounds close to what you originally said!

Last edited by DaveLovesDee; Aug 2nd 2017 at 1:54 pm.
Old Aug 2nd 2017, 1:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
Have you mutated into an Australian?

Indeed we don't know what the outcome will be but rest assured, you'll be in favour of it when we do. That's what I meant about the Jimenato Phenomenon. You've just gone another step towards it there with the "in general the country of origin should be irrelevant" on top of the special exemption for seasonal workers. Shall we have another special category for students and another for young people who aren't students nor have a specific job lined up?
An Australian???
We already have a special category for students. The issue is free movement for just those countries of the EU.
Old Aug 2nd 2017, 2:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
Why do you mention Portsmouth? Lived there as a teenager, loved it there at that time.
Went back out of nostalgia in 70s,--there and I of W worst racism we ever experienced. One cafe just didn't serve us and threatened to set their dog on our toddler son if he approached the counter (we left!)

People posting on this thread do not know what real prejudice is!!

However even there it was only a minority of people who were of this type.

Last edited by Bipat; Aug 2nd 2017 at 2:12 pm.
Old Aug 2nd 2017, 2:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Why do you mention Portsmouth? Lived there as a teenager, loved it there at that time.
Went back out of nostalgia in 70s,--there and I of W worst racism we ever experienced. One cafe just didn't serve us and threatened to set their dog on our toddler son if he approached the counter (we left!)

Portsmouth is an embarrassment of a location. It's full of undesirables who I have no doubt in my mind would have been racist towards you. Sadly it's in line with the typical idiot mentality of such a poor military city.
Old Aug 2nd 2017, 2:23 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Given the numerous comments from some of our more notorious brexiters the levels of prejudice in the UK are there if you look for them.
Old Aug 2nd 2017, 2:25 pm
Polished expat

An Australian???
Yes, an Australian. Making a question of a statement - they do it all the time. Haven't you noticed? Like this :-
We do not yet know what the outcome will be?
We already have a special category for students. The issue is free movement for just those countries of the EU.
Well, yes, we do. But how about a separate student category for students from the EU? Like the seasonal worker category.
Old Aug 2nd 2017, 2:28 pm
Polished expat

A completely daft and sweeping generalisation. Of course we do. I've witnessed plenty of it and done my fair share of protesting about it.
Old Aug 2nd 2017, 2:29 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Why do you mention Portsmouth?
It was in response to something I said. A regular joke on another thread.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.