Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Post EU Referendum

Post EU Referendum

Old Aug 1st 2017, 10:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Annetje View Post
I assume asking all 33.6 millions is a bit OTT.
A poll is what it is ... a poll !
Some of the social media polls were more accurate than the professional polls.
Old Aug 1st 2017, 10:53 pm
Preparing to move again

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

Funny reading the comments of the Aussies ...

Sorry Boris Johnson, little Britain has little to offer Australia

Think they figured out what Bojo and the UK is about.
Old Aug 1st 2017, 11:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
Hope they're ready for their visa applications........
Could you explain what is so very difficult in filling out a visa form or doing it on-line?
Old Aug 1st 2017, 11:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR View Post
Still not answering tgecquestion.
Do we ignore all polls pro brexit or otherwise since the referendum.
Yes or no, or only those that you do not agree with ?
Polls give a sample of views, a possible indication of what might be views in general. It is not valid to extrapolate that to the views of 'the nation' as usually reported here.
Old Aug 1st 2017, 11:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Annetje View Post
Soon Bipat will be here telling you you exaggerate ...
I see plenty of these stories on FB, all personal experiences.
Well, I have always agreed that there are people in the UK who are anti-immigrant. Were you in the UK in the 60s? I could give you plenty of personal experience. If you want to find examples you will.
However they are a minority of the people.
Old Aug 2nd 2017, 12:41 am
So long...

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bipat View Post
Could you explain what is so very difficult in filling out a visa form or doing it on-line?
And every time you ask that, I give you the same answer. Then you go on about non-EU nationals manage to fill in visa forms ok.

But here I go again.

Why would EU nationals go through the time and expense of applying for a UK work visa post-Brexit when there are still 27 EU countries where they can live and work without needing to apply for (and pay for) visas.

Also, if as reported, the Medicines Agency staff want to remain in the UK, that either requires free movement to continue, or they'll have to find alternative work when their employer relocates to one of the remaining EU countries.
Old Aug 2nd 2017, 5:42 am
Reasonable Bitch

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I have always agreed that there are people in the UK who are anti-immigrant. Were you in the UK in the 60s? I could give you plenty of personal experience. If you want to find examples you will.
However they are a minority of the people.
And yet, the media, the polls, and generally, the British collective consciousness paints a very different picture. Most of the other Brits I know certainly tend to be averse to things "foreign" (that ugly connotation). Some seem to believe that being British exempts them from being classified as "foreigners", no matter where in the world they happen to be. It's a bloody common stereotype for Christ's sake. Those "foreigners" all joke about it.

Wake up.
Old Aug 2nd 2017, 5:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas View Post
And yet, the media, the polls, and generally, the British collective consciousness paints a very different picture. Most of the other Brits I know certainly tend to be averse to things "foreign" (that ugly connotation). Some seem to believe that being British exempts them from being classified as "foreigners", no matter where in the world they happen to be. It's a bloody common stereotype for Christ's sake. Those "foreigners" all joke about it.

Wake up.
Don't bother. She won't face up who she voted for.
Old Aug 2nd 2017, 7:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
And every time you ask that, I give you the same answer. Then you go on about non-EU nationals manage to fill in visa forms ok.

But here I go again.

Why would EU nationals go through the time and expense of applying for a UK work visa post-Brexit when there are still 27 EU countries where they can live and work without needing to apply for (and pay for) visas.

Also, if as reported, the Medicines Agency staff want to remain in the UK, that either requires free movement to continue, or they'll have to find alternative work when their employer relocates to one of the remaining EU countries.
Here I go again! If they want to come two the UK ---why not? Time ---I presume people fill in forms to join a GP practice, get accommodation etc. etc. Expense I would think a small part of moving to another country? (Cost of visas can be reduced).
If they have so little energy --why move at all?
Old Aug 2nd 2017, 7:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wake up.
You spend so much time criticising the media for misleading the public--yet you believe it when it suits you?
Which polls are you referring to?
"British collective consciousness"??
Yes we all know about the type of tourists you describe they stand out because of their stupidity, that is why you notice them! (You ignore the others).
(It's not just the British--you should see some of the Russians who come to a tourist area of my other country --and the pleasant ones keep away from their awful compatriots).

The other Brits you know? You can't know very many?

I get the impression from this Forum of Xenophobic--Little EU people unaware, uninterested about the world and its people.
However, how many post? So my impression about people living in EU countries is probably wrong as yours is about the British population?
Old Aug 2nd 2017, 8:08 am
Reasonable Bitch

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

You spend so much time criticising the media for misleading the public--yet you believe it when it suits you?
Which polls are you referring to?
"British collective consciousness"??
Yes we all know about the type of tourists you describe they stand out because of their stupidity, that is why you notice them! (You ignore the others).
(It's not just the British--you should see some of the Russians who come to a tourist area of my other country --and the pleasant ones keep away from their awful compatriots).

The other Brits you know? You can't know very many?

I get the impression from this Forum of Xenophobic--Little EU people unaware, uninterested about the world and its people.
However, how many post? So my impression about people living in EU countries is probably wrong as yours is about the British population?
Wow. That's denial in its purest form.

Only 4 more steps to acceptance...
Old Aug 2nd 2017, 8:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wow. That's denial in its purest form.

Only 4 more steps to acceptance...
You mean your post 20527---yes I absolutely agree with you.

(As an aside I agree with you about some /people/tourists and many expats, otherwise why would there be a need for this Forum?
(I discovered it by accident and was appalled at some posts--and due to lack of sense--I still post!)
To equate these people with the entire British population is quite wrong.
To be concerned about population levels, schools/housing etc. is not being anti-immigrant.
I could write a book about the incidents my family and people I have worked with have suffered--but as I said the majority of people are not as that.
Old Aug 2nd 2017, 8:45 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

... To be concerned about population levels, schools/housing etc. is not being anti-immigrant. ...
Quite right. I seems impossible to have a sensible debate about immigration without being accused of xenophobia or racism.

However to vote to leave the EU because of it, considering the majority of immigrants don't come from there, is quite bizarre.
Old Aug 2nd 2017, 8:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by jimenato View Post
Quite right. I seems impossible to have a sensible debate about immigration without being accused of xenophobia or racism.

However to vote to leave the EU because of it, considering the majority of immigrants don't come from there, is quite bizarre.
Non-EU immigrants do not have free movement. They are admitted according to skills. In future EU workers can have the same systems including different quotas for different skills etc.
I keep reminding people about the Commonwealth Immigrants Act 1962--stopping free movement of those citizens---the same sort of discussions.
It didn't stop immigration?

Voting to leave the EU was for many reasons, it is just that the media latch on to 'immigration' it sells papers. Obviously Farage used it --he was not a member of the official leave groups.
Old Aug 2nd 2017, 9:05 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Non-EU immigrants do not have free movement. They are admitted according to skills. In future EU workers can have the same systems including different quotas for different skills etc.
I keep reminding people about the Commonwealth Immigrants Act 1962--stopping free movement of those citizens---the same sort of discussions.
It didn't stop immigration?

Voting to leave the EU was for many reasons, it is just that the media latch on to 'immigration' it sells papers. Obviously Farage used it --he was not a member of the official leave groups.
You are right the commonwealth immigration a t dud not stop immigration which exceeds EU migration.
Many of those who voted to leave the EU did so because of the promise to reduce immigration ALL immigration.
Why are you not able to see that.
To see that the vote to leave was won by those you have as little time for as most of us on this forum.
Without Farage and quasi racist UKIP we would not be having this discussion.
Again why are you so blinkered .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.