Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Post EU Referendum

Post EU Referendum

Old Jul 25th 2017, 5:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by EMR View Post
It has obviously not occurred to you to ask why there are fewer applicants from all not just EU and UK sources.
The issue is with the management of the NHS, the salaries, working conditions etc.
The fall in sterling means that non UK employees will have less to repatriate to their home countries just one factor.
Is the tightening of rules regarding qualifications, language another factor.
Reading the UK tabloids on line and seeing how unwelcome immigrants are in the UK could also be a reason.

Your brexit birds are coming home to roost.
It has obviously not occurred to you to read my post!
I said it may be more an NHS reason than Brexit reason.

Brexit is not the reason for a reduction in applications from UK students and obviously this will not yet affect the numbers employed now.

I don't think repatriation of money is a reason.
What tightening of rules regarding qualifications/language are you thinking of??
Old Jul 25th 2017, 5:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iano View Post
Bipat, I do accept there are other non-Brexit reasons i.e pay caps, underfunding, bursaries etc. But only the naive, or seriously blinkered, would insist that the Brexit 'effect' is playing no part in current NHS understaffing problems.

Anyway, my point was solely addressing the anti-immigration message in the posted video; the claim that 'Brexit was fundamentally about immigration'...well, to paraphrase once again.....the chickens are only just starting to (go) home to roost.
Yes Brexit is playing a part, but just a part as said above. Obviously EU staff leaving think they will immediately be able to get a better job in their home countries.
I don't know if the figures for UK citizen nurses and doctors emigrating are increasing? (I haven't looked it up).
Old Jul 25th 2017, 6:07 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bipat View Post
It has obviously not occurred to you to read my post!
I said it may be more an NHS reason than Brexit reason.

Brexit is not the reason for a reduction in applications from UK students and obviously this will not yet affect the numbers employed now.

I don't think repatriation of money is a reason.
What tightening of rules regarding qualifications/language are you thinking of??

Brexit may not be the only reason but it is certainly responsible in part for the problems facing recruitment in the NHS.
If you are facing increasing UK living costs , there is less to send home which is further reduced by the brexit induced fall in sterling.
It's simple maths.
The UK popular press has been calling for a tightening up in language tests, ability to speak and understand English etc, which a number of health authorities are implementing.
Would you want to move to a country where the popular press tells you that you are not welcome and where your status depends in the whims of hard or soft brexit politicians in 2, 3 or 5 years.
Where the government in power has a policy to reduce All immigration to a few tens thousands year.

The UK needs a new PR campaign because the current one is failing.
Old Jul 25th 2017, 6:37 pm
So long...

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bipat View Post
The government link regarding short term visa I found, only gives details when you go through the application process. Didn't look further. Below is from a solicitors website, (based in Wimbledon!)

Apparently the 6 months sports visitors visa covers amateur and 'events defined by UK Border Agency' and includes the accompanying managers etc.
I presume it is taken into account that the majority in the 'events' may not win anything!

Sports Visitors Visa UK - Sunrise Solicitors
Where it says 'amateur', it means that only reasonable expenses can be claimed by the sportsperson. No prize money or pay can be earned.
Old Jul 25th 2017, 6:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
I promised myself I'd stop posting the moment a Brexiter said something either true or at least plausible.

I'm still stuck here
Old Jul 25th 2017, 7:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
Where it says 'amateur', it means that only reasonable expenses can be claimed by the sportsperson. No prize money or pay can be earned.
Yes, but I would imagine "event, tournament, or series of events defined by UK Border Agency" covers major events such as Wimbledon etc. It includes technical/personal staff/officials etc.
I suppose prize money is not 'earned', they are not 'employed'.

(Just noticed the solicitor in the link charges 'from' £1000 for their services, I wonder how many clients they get?)
Old Jul 25th 2017, 8:32 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iano View Post

With currently more than 86,000 NHS posts vacant, European nurses/doctors returning home in droves and a 96% drop this year in EU medics registering to work in the UK, just one ramification of which is the poor sod left lying on a trolley for hours on end in the corridor. If it has to be anyone, you only hope it's an anti-immigrant Brexiteer [email protected] like him, because this is what he wanted.

Nothing to do with Brexit - after all, we haven't brexited yet.

The NHS has struggled to retain and obtain staff for several years due to the relatively static wages paid. The NHS has also experienced substantial increases in demand over the recent past, partly driven by increasing population age, partly by increasing population (driven by high net immigration).

To align current NHS issues with brexit is the normal extreme-remainer hyperbole, but as usual it is fake news.

96% of very little is very little - it equates to around 12,000 a year drop - there are over 600,000 clinical staff in the NHS.
Old Jul 25th 2017, 11:10 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue View Post
Nothing to do with Brexit - after all, we haven't brexited yet.

The NHS has struggled to retain and obtain staff for several years due to the relatively static wages paid. The NHS has also experienced substantial increases in demand over the recent past, partly driven by increasing population age, partly by increasing population (driven by high net immigration).

To align current NHS issues with brexit is the normal extreme-remainer hyperbole, but as usual it is fake news.

96% of very little is very little - it equates to around 12,000 a year drop - there are over 600,000 clinical staff in the NHS.
Do you use the NHS.
Our local A&E is now closed at nights due to staff shortages.
Every EU migrant who has now decided not to come to the UK to work in the NHS because of brexit is contributing to the staff shortages.
Brexit is responsible.
Old Jul 26th 2017, 12:30 am
Reasonable Bitch

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Well, let's tally up all that has nothing to do with Brexit;

Pound slide
Inflation
NHS staff shortages
Businesses leaving
Investment dwindling
Political chaos

It seems the UK was headed into the abyss without Brexit anyway. So, who cares? Might as well forget any "negotiations" and tell them to take their unstable third-world EU and shove it.

Oh, wait...
Old Jul 26th 2017, 9:43 am
EU hoo

iano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue View Post
Nothing to do with Brexit - after all, we haven't brexited yet..
Well aware of that, and why I said the Brexit 'effect'.

As well as the shortage of NHS staff, appears there's plenty of vacancies on the farms too...

"For 70 years, Tim Chambers' family has harvested fruit in south-east England, but after Britain's vote last year to leave the European Union he expanded into Poland and is
ready to sell some of his land if a shortage of migrant workers worsens."
Old Jul 26th 2017, 11:28 am
EMR
Banned

I would like to be a fly On the wall at the next cabinet meeting.
Gove has announced that the UK will not relax existing EU based rules on imported foods and animal welfare after brexit.
Fox having grovelled in the US , see trumps Twitter on the idea of a deal with the UK, no more restrictive EU regs against US exports and Jobs for US companies, will it is reported face a cabinet united in keeping out US foods that do not meet current standards.
Old Jul 26th 2017, 9:11 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

I guess this typical Brexiteer is as confused about the issues as the rest of them...

The BBC has apologised after Jeremy Corbyn was called a “twat” in a Radio 4 interview by Charlie Mullins, the boss of Pimlico Plumbers and a Conservative party donor.

Mullins was being interviewed on Radio 4’s World at One when host Martha Kearney asked whether the UK should attempt to remain part of the single market after Brexit.

Mullins replied: “Course we should be staying in; Jeremy Corbyn’s a twat, ain’t he?”
So... could some of the leavers on here clear this up - should we stay in or leave the single market?
Old Jul 26th 2017, 11:20 pm
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Ahem - Mullins is / was a Remainer.

Perhaps someone could clear up why it is that rabid Tories who are also Remainers, on finding themselves unable to support their own party because of its Brexit stance, take to badmouthing Labour / Jeremy Corbyn over the issue

Last edited by Red Eric; Jul 26th 2017 at 11:27 pm.
Old Jul 27th 2017, 6:35 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
Ahem - Mullins is / was a Remainer.

Perhaps someone could clear up why it is that rabid Tories who are also Remainers, on finding themselves unable to support their own party because of its Brexit stance, take to badmouthing Labour / Jeremy Corbyn over the issue
Blow me!! Confusing innit?

Got to be said Eric that Corbyn isn't helping. On Brexit he's as much of a twat as May/Fox/Davis.
Old Jul 27th 2017, 8:28 am
EMR
Banned

Mullins was part of the group who took the UK government to the supreme court to give parliament a say in the Brexit process,.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.